Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default UPDATE in post 36...Tell me I'm crazy to hate this activity?

Please see update!

DD is in 3rd grade. They have an activity through the local YMCA to get swim lessons next month. I haven't given my permission yet. It just seems like SUCH a bad idea! Am I being overly sensitive?

The plan is, the kids wear their swimsuits under their clothing. At some point during the day, parent drivers will pick up the kids at school, drive them across town to the YMCA, where they'll each get a 20 minute group swimming lesson (I'm imagining it is divided by ability?). Then they sort of dry off, get back in cars and head back to school to finish out the day.

I'm worried about, in descending order 3 things. 1. How uncomfortable DD will be if she's wet all day. 2. If she has a bad experience with a fellow parent driver (she's not an easy child and has been struggling socially all year!). 3. Water safety issues. She's not a strong swimmer. She's basically water safe? I had lifeguard training and I am neurotic about water safety. I've been present when big camps show up to the local public pool and have said to myself "NEVER" when I see those big groups.

Am I being ridiculous?

The alternative is that she has to sit out the lessons. Which she'll HATE. She loves to swim. We get lessons several times a year and swim whenever we can. She loves her class even though she's really struggling socially.

I would drive if I could, but guys, I'm still on crutches!

WWYD?
    Last edited by bisous; 10-18-2022 at 12:19 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, I wouldn't love the staying wet part but I wouldn't make my kid skip it You have mentioned before that you wish your kids were better swimmers and this sure seems like an easy way to do it- it all happens during the school day and no extra effort on your part.
    . She will be fine. She might not love it but it's a win to get some swim lessons.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

It does sounds a little weird- but I think I would at least have her try it. I'm sure they will have good supervision.

If you don’t feel like she’s a strong swimmer, I would 100% do it. My daughter taught swim lessons this summer to both kids who could pay and low-income kids who were offered free lessons. She and her fellow teammates (who were all certified lifeguards also) managed to teach these kids either basic water safety or how to swim (depending on their level.) being safe around water and knowing how to swim is so important, especially in California. Plus swimming is so beneficial for kids like your daughter who might need extra sensory input. Remember, the instructors are all trained and there will be several lifeguards on duty. It will be a good way to breakup the school day, and I’m guessing these kids will be in a better position to learn after some exercise. (I assume this is the Y that is outside.) I think it’s a fantastic opportunity, even if it sounds a bit weird,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I do not think it is a good plan, but if I wouldn't make her sit it out.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

YMCA has very good lifeguard standards. I would not be worried about that. It might be logistically painful and questionable how much she will gain, but I would let her decide.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wouldn’t want my child in the car with a person I did not know personally. That being said my kids have had a swimming as part of their PE since Kinder. DS1 doesn’t love it but he cooperates.. DS2 hates it. He hates the rushing to get dressed and rushing to dry off and sitting in damp clothes because he rushed to dry. He complains every single year but he has cooperated. She may surprise you and enjoy it. If she didn’t like it, it’s only for a short time.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by jgenie; 09-28-2022 at 10:23 PM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you all for your opinions! I think I'm inclined to let her participate. Maybe towards the end of the activity I'll even be able to drive. (I can drive now, but it is awkward getting in and out of the car and needing to pick up a bunch of 3rd graders!)

I feel like I need to defend myself with regards to my children's swimming abilities because I often get comments about this. I have paid for swimming lessons every single year of their lives with the exception of 2020 and 2021 and that was due to COVID restrictions and then COVID concerns. HOWEVER during those years we were able to use the nearby pool of a good friend and actually DS3 had the most growth during those two years! 3 of my 4 kids have really struggled with picking it up. They're super uncoordinated and not very brave (actually DD is brave in the water--she's just not coordinated!). DS3 took to swimming like a duck to water and is an excellent swimmer. Just because a child struggles with something doesn't necessarily mean it is because their parents aren't diligent enough about it. My DH grew up with a swimming pool in his backyard and can barely pass the BS swim test. By contrast, my parents only put a pool in when I was 17 but I was a competitive swimmer and earned my lifeguard certification (though I never used it professionally). Just a shoutout to kids who struggle with swimming. Like anything else, some people are naturally better at it than others!

On the flip side, I'm the one that has caught 3 little kids at parties struggling and starting to drown (on different occasions)! All of them were younger kids--ages 3 and 4 but it still makes me super nervous. If I wasn't completely neurotic I don't know what would have happened.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I completely hear you, on all accounts. I GET it. I would have the exact same reservations with my DS2 in your situation. But now he's 13, and I can say in hindsight that I would let him do it, and it'll probably be ok. It doesn't have to be the best time ever for your DD, where she learns everything she needs to be a confident swimmer and make friends and impress the other parents, but it probably won't be the worst either. It might be just ok, and that's fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would let her do it. This is the exact kind of field trip she will remember. I would’ve loved that as a kid. I agree not a fan of the drying out wet vs. changing but I would send her in a bikini/tankini as that will be the easiest for potty breaks during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast