I think you should let her go. Now, I will say I would probably be feeling the same nervousness about being safe in the water if I didn't know what the program's goals were. I am on the board for our local Y, and this program is a Y USA initiative. We piloted it a few years ago with second graders. The whole point of this program is getting the kids to the point where they are water safe. When we did it, we broke the kids up into swimming levels and there is a specific ration of swim instructors per kids. There are also life guards present. The kids will have many eyes on them and (at least in our pool) they didn't go in the deep end unless they had passed a specific test as another level of safety. I believe our kids did lessons each day for a week or maybe it was two? At the end of the program they were re-evaluated and the percentage of kids who were able to save themselves went from 45% to 98%. It really was amazing what that little time does to help keep kids safe. I'm impressed that there are parent drivers willing to help and that the school is willing to let the kids out. This is where we are struggling to get the schools to cooperate. They don't want to deal with the logistics of getting the kids to the pool.

I can't believe they aren't having them change back, especially since boys wear shorts and it's hard to put shorts on over wet shorts. But, if she doesn't drive off well the first time and is a little uncomfortable, she'll dry off much better the next time! My 10 year old doesn't dry off well at all from his showers but he's learning since his pajamas are half soaked if he doesn't.