Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hurricane Ian

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My mom and step father are in Bradenton, on the Manatee River, just north of Sarasota. CNN reporters are staying in the building on one side of theirs, and CBS has reporters staying in the building on the other side of hers! They were posting front page videos from right in front of her building! I came across a 3rd news crew doing a shoot with "their bridge and marina" in the background.

She's been without power for 36 hours, and my sweet friend with a family of 6 has been without power for 48 hours.

It just occurred to me that I should consider driving to get them b/c they won't leave and it looks like power isn't coming on anytime soon. They're in a condo building that's 8 stories tall and just under 20 years old. it's pitch black and they're 75-80ish. I begged them to get out.

How long can 80 year olds last without power when it's hot and they're stressed and their routine is disrupted. My stepfather walked downstairs "to get the paper" like he thought it would be there the next morning! Half their county is without power.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post

It just occurred to me that I should consider driving to get them b/c they won't leave and it looks like power isn't coming on anytime soon. They're in a condo building that's 8 stories tall and just under 20 years old. it's pitch black and they're 75-80ish. I begged them to get out.

How long can 80 year olds last without power when it's hot and they're stressed and their routine is disrupted. My stepfather walked downstairs "to get the paper" like he thought it would be there the next morning! Half their county is without power.
    Im sorry, that’s hard. Even if you show up to get them out, there is no guarantee they will go with you. Ugh, I remember that with my own parents. My mother was totally the dig-your-heels-in type who would have said, “when it’s my time to go, it’s my time to go” and would have insisted staying (or insisted she didn’t need to see a doctor, or help with anything.). I hope I don’t pull that carp with my kids when I get older.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My mom and step father are in Bradenton, on the Manatee River, just north of Sarasota. CNN reporters are staying in the building on one side of theirs, and CBS has reporters staying in the building on the other side of hers! They were posting front page videos from right in front of her building! I came across a 3rd news crew doing a shoot with "their bridge and marina" in the background.

She's been without power for 36 hours, and my sweet friend with a family of 6 has been without power for 48 hours.

How stressful for you.. I hope you can convince them to leave.

My friend’s mom couldn’t be evacuated from her senior home as she’s on oxygen. It’s very stressful for the family

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Im sorry, that’s hard. Even if you show up to get them out, there is no guarantee they will go with you. Ugh, I remember that with my own parents. My mother was totally the dig-your-heels-in type who would have said, “when it’s my time to go, it’s my time to go” and would have insisted staying (or insisted she didn’t need to see a doctor, or help with anything.). I hope I don’t pull that carp with my kids when I get older.
    Oh you and globetrotter are SO RIGHT!!! I texted this morning and offered to book them a hotel room 1-2 hours north. The response was "No thanks, we're fine. We'll go out to some restaurants when we want some food...and probably stop at a bar on the way home."

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

2 fun days with no power but both my house in Sarasota and our condo on siesta key fared well all things considering. Our pool cage needs new screen and we has some soffit pieces blow and the garage storage access panel dropped on DH car duties storm so he needs a new windshield. Condo had no damage. Lots of people remain powerless. Cell service during the storm was bad I will give a 2 thumbs up to my new F150 hybrid truck. We were able to run the fridge freezer light and power strip for recharging and coffee pot / water kettle for 2 days on about a 1/4 tank of gas ( truck will use fuel ti recharge batteries). Friends to the south had more damage. Siesta didn’t get the anticipated storm surge like Sanibel and Ft Myers’s got they are devastated Some schools are still being used as shelters and they will reassess on Monday Venice middle I believe lost a wall to their gymnasium It was rough during the middle of the storm it hit us at a cat 4 I believe
    Last edited by JBaxter; 09-30-2022 at 04:21 PM.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    2 fun days with no power but both my house in Sarasota and our condo on siesta key fared well all things considering. Our pool cage needs new screen and we has some soffit pieces blow and the garage storage access panel dropped on DH car duties storm so he needs a new windshield. Condo had no damage. Lots of people remain powerless. Cell service during the storm was bad I will give a 2 thumbs up to my new F150 hybrid truck. We were able to run the fridge freezer light and power strip for recharging and coffee pot / water kettle for 2 days on about a 1/4 tank of gas ( truck will use fuel ti recharge batteries). Friends to the south had more damage. Siesta didn’t get the anticipated storm surge like Sanibel and Ft Myers’s got they are devastated Some schools are still being used as shelters and they will reassess on Monday Venice middle I believe lost a wall to their gymnasium It was rough during the middle of the storm it hit us at a cat 4 I believe
    Wow! That sounds bad, but glad you are ultimately OK. The F150 sounds very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh you and globetrotter are SO RIGHT!!! I texted this morning and offered to book them a hotel room 1-2 hours north. The response was "No thanks, we're fine. We'll go out to some restaurants when we want some food...and probably stop at a bar on the way home."
    Oh my gosh!! I’m sorry you have to deal with this. Do they realize it’s not that easy?

I just read an article about an older couple on Sanibel whom they tried to rescue this morning or yesterday. The gentleman tried to get his wife to come with him to Ft Murray so they could go to a shelter and she couldn’t understand why he would leave. So they left her there and he left the island with the rescue team.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Oh my gosh!! I’m sorry you have to deal with this. Do they realize it’s not that easy?

I just read an article about an older couple on Sanibel whom they tried to rescue this morning or yesterday. The gentleman tried to get his wife to come with him to Ft Murray so they could go to a shelter and she couldn’t understand why he would leave. So they left her there and he left the island with the rescue team.
    oh my gosh, I can’t believe he left her alone. I can’t believe she let him go. I just don’t understand old people. They can get sooo stubborn. I just don’t understand where that comes from.

Jbaxter, I’m sorry about your windshield and other damage. Glad no one was hurt. How clever to use the truck as a generator. I didn’t know that was possible.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    oh my gosh, I can’t believe he left her alone. I can’t believe she let him go. I just don’t understand old people. They can get sooo stubborn. I just don’t understand where that comes from.

Jbaxter, I’m sorry about your windshield and other damage. Glad no one was hurt. How clever to use the truck as a generator. I didn’t know that was possible.
    Sigh, I don’t understand why that happens to seniors.
    Jbaxter, glad you’re all ok.

My stepsister finally got power back last night, and they all escaped major damage. So thankful, but SO, SO sorry for Lee county!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2