Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When you feel…

Edited to remove details.
    Last edited by Snow mom; 11-07-2022 at 01:55 PM.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default When you feel like your kid is being targeted by a teacher

I’d email the teacher asking for a copy of the work so she can learn from her mistakes. In my experience, it’s best to check as what the kids say and what happened don’t always line up. Or ask for a teacher meeting and have the teacher explain to you what was wrong with the assignments. Maybe she didn’t answer the question fully? Or didn’t include a section.

Go in with open mind though -you may not be hearing the complete story. I’d ask for a meeting “so I can understand mistakes DC are making so I can guide them at home.” I did this with the science teacher as DS kept getting low grades on his folder. Turns out the requirements were more detailed than he told me, hence the low grades. I supervised it going forward for a few months and he learned how to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 09-28-2022 at 09:37 PM.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh...that stinks.

I would communicate with the teacher (via email?) and ask for the exact assignment description and also the grading rubric, along with your DD's papers.

If a teacher has already graded a paper, I really don't get the delay in returning the work, esp if her friends have their papers back?!? Are the friend's in the same class section as your DD?

How does the teacher treat your DD in class? Does he call on her, cut her off, ignore her questions? I would ask your DD what the teacher is like in class.

Sometimes teachers can peg a student as a certain type and decide they don't like that student or they are there to teach that student a lesson. Sometimes it as simple as your DC reminding them of a previous student they didn't like. Or sometimes teachers can misinterpret an eager student who is aiming to do excellent work as badgering them with questions, demanding, etc.

Definitely look into it. Those are some low grades.
    K

Does the online grade show the class averages for the assignments? That's at least a starting point to see where she lands in comparison to her classmates.

If you're around 6-8 weeks into the school year, it's a reasonable time to request some feedback on how your child is doing so that they can improve their performance in the class. Ask about what the teacher has in place to help improve the grade, then follow up with DD to make sure she's taking advantage of those opportunities.

Edited to remove details.
    Last edited by Snow mom; 11-07-2022 at 01:56 PM.

I’d ask for a rubric. That’s completely reasonable. I’m pretty sure it’s standard these days for most assignments to be graded according to a rubric (especially writing assignments).

As for the nickname, that’s inappropriate and I’d have your daughter communicate that to him respectfully. And if he doesn’t listen, I’d bring it up the chain of command.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it’s time to skip the change of command and go to the top. (I’m a teacher, BTW.) That nickname story is totally unacceptable. I would ask to change her schedule. No student should ever be made to feel uncomfortable like that.

I was always bad about grading work on time, but I also NEVER gave a D unless there were major issues with the assignment.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I’ve been following this thread because ds1 and ds2 have had several situations with issues with teachers at our small private high school and all the things suggested here is what I would have suggested to my kids too. Handling the situation the way pp here have said is the right way to do things. But it has not worked for us.

We have found that right or wrong, the way to resolve the situation was to kiss the teachers butt. I think my kids were in the right (at least, it sounds like it from the stories they came home telling), but it didn’t matter at all to the teachers. And when we pursued it up the chain, the administration sided with the teachers. I get it- in a he/said- she/said situation the student is more likely to be guilty of mischief than the teacher who needs his job. And the administration has incentive to not stir up negative feelings with the teachers they have to work with.

So DS2 didn’t want to apologize and be nice to teachers he he felt were unfair and hurtful. He thought it many cases he deserved better grades or a more fair outcome to requests he made. But he tried to be nice and then he even tried harder to be nicer. It was difficult for him because he’s a proud kid. Now he’s the teachers pet in all his classes. He offers to help, he participates, he asks the teachers if they had a good weekend, and he chitchats with them. He says he’s gotten butt-kissing down to an art form. One teacher he hated brought his guitars into class and ds2 complimented them and asked if they could strum together. The teacher loved it. Does it feel insincere? Yes. But things are much more peaceful that way. And ds’s report card just came home and he received high praise from all his teachers. Unfortunately, he will likely find in the work-world people who must feel in control and he’ll find it’s sometimes in his best interest to let them have it.

eta- I should clarify that ds2 doesn’t kiss up to the teacher and then belittle them or laugh it off in the hallway after class is over. There is no side eye to friends or rolling of eyes. He would get caught, it’s a very small school. He brings it home and vents to the rest of us, his siblings and parents. He treats all of the faculty and administration with almost reverence. And he continues to do this because he loves the fact that he gets what he wants that way: respect, the benefit of the doubt, and admiration from the faculty. Along the way, I’m surprised to find, it’s made him more confident and even mature. He even likes those teachers he used to hate because they are very kind to him now. It worked out strangely but it worked out.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 09-29-2022 at 12:14 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Removed for privacy.
    Last edited by Snow mom; 11-07-2022 at 01:57 PM.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What a headache. But thank goodness it didn’t turn into something complicated and messy. I’m glad to hear your dd is gettin the grade she deserves without having to fight for it. That must be a relief for both of you.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 11-08-2022 at 09:38 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast