Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    elbenn is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    I am on that group and have the book. Ds has read it as well. He probably won’t be as proactive as the book recommends, and I am leaving that to him. He is a very motivated kid, but not quite ready as far as initiating contact with coaches, etc. probably by the Spring, which I know is relatively late in the game, but that’s okay.
    I don't think you are really far behind on the boys side. The girls side recruits much earlier, but boys coaches are still looking at boys in their senior year because boys develop so much later and a late bloomer might blossom in their senior year and the coaches understand that.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    I don't think you are really far behind on the boys side. The girls side recruits much earlier, but boys coaches are still looking at boys in their senior year because boys develop so much later and a late bloomer might blossom in their senior year and the coaches understand that.
    Good to know! That makes sense.
    I also feel that if it happens for him regarding cross country/track, it happens. Not that he is not working hard and not that I don't support him, but I am not going to stress about this part of things. He really is just getting times as he did not participate in high school at all due the pandemic until this past Spring..so, these are the first cross-country times he has. I want to have an idea of what those look like before proceeding. He's doing well, he really wants this,and I am excited for him...but I am not going to stress about this.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Good to know! That makes sense.
    I also feel that if it happens for him regarding cross country/track, it happens. Not that he is not working hard and not that I don't support him, but I am not going to stress about this part of things. He really is just getting times as he did not participate in high school at all due the pandemic until this past Spring..so, these are the first cross-country times he has. I want to have an idea of what those look like before proceeding. He's doing well, he really wants this,and I am excited for him...but I am not going to stress about this.
    He's in a better position than my '23, who missed sophomore and junior year bc of COVID. She's pretty disappointed - so we'll see if anything happens for her this late in the game. That being said, if you haven't already, take a look at https://runcruit.com/ -- good info there.

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    He's in a better position than my '23, who missed sophomore and junior year bc of COVID. She's pretty disappointed - so we'll see if anything happens for her this late in the game. That being said, if you haven't already, take a look at https://runcruit.com/ -- good info there.
    I imagine your kid is not the only one in that position! I would encourage her to go for it and try to see if she can make something happens.

I love runcruit! It is so useful to get an idea of where he could/couldn't fit it based on times!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I imagine your kid is not the only one in that position! I would encourage her to go for it and try to see if she can make something happens.

I love runcruit! It is so useful to get an idea of where he could/couldn't fit it based on times!
    Yes - most def. And didn't mean to compare/complain -- it is what it is. Like you said, they put in the work and we'll see what happens. Hard not to get stressed, but it's really out of our hands, right? Good luck to your son!

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I feel your pain. My daughter missed her critical junior year of competition in noric but then got really good as a senior. Too late for the recruitment process.

Do any of the teams at the schools she applied to allow walk-ons? Some of the Nordic teams do if you can meet certain physical benchmarks.

Yes - most def. And didn't mean to compare/complain -- it is what it is. Like you said, they put in the work and we'll see what happens. Hard not to get stressed, but it's really out of our hands, right? Good luck to your son!
    Oh, I didn’t mean to imply you were comparing or complaining; just that I would hope the coaches would expect this and/or still have unmet needs due to the effects the pandemic had. Best to your daughter as well as all the other kids mentioned here!
    Last edited by JustMe; 10-05-2022 at 05:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2