Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

And this is why I don’t like the whole culture of taking a date to homecoming. I hate the whole concept of kids feeling better about themselves if someone “likes” them, like it’s a status symbol. DD (16) went with a bunch of female friends (this year and last year) and had a blast. It would have sucked big time if she was expected to go with a date.

Her behavior is totally $hitty. I’m sorry your son has to deal with it. As I’ve told my DD numerous times, kids your age make really bad decisions when it comes to romantic relationship. (My exact wording was more like, girls make stupid decisions when it comes to boys. And the reverse. And if a friend prioritizes a boy over you, just remember her brain is temporarily impaired. It doesn’t mean she’s a bad person, but especially at this age, girls/boys don’t have the life experience to make better choices. Don’t hold it against them, but just remember their behavior and choices when you are romantically involved with someone so you can do better.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Was there some sort of spectacle in the "asking"? Prom-posal type thing? Something visual for the social media post?

If so, then he's served his purpose to her and he can just move on and do his own thing.

Help organize something with his buddies and act like there isn't a date at all. If he wants to ask a different girl, encourage him to do so. He doesn't owe girl A anything at this point, he should just shoot her a text and move on.

I understand the savvy type person you mention, sorry he got tied up in her weird world for this event. It sucks to be a bit player for someone else's dog and pony show.

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Was there some sort of spectacle in the "asking"? Prom-posal type thing? Something visual for the social media post?

If so, then he's served his purpose to her and he can just move on and do his own thing.

Help organize something with his buddies and act like there isn't a date at all. If he wants to ask a different girl, encourage him to do so. He doesn't owe girl A anything at this point, he should just shoot her a text and move on.

I understand the savvy type person you mention, sorry he got tied up in her weird world for this event. It sucks to be a bit player for someone else's dog and pony show.
    I was wondering about this as well.

I'm sorry he's dealing with this. Honestly, I don't see it getting better. As SnuggleBuggles said, I'm not sure I understand what the "date" will even be. Is she going to want to take pictures, but then ignore him at the dance? She seems to be making a fool of him. I really hopes that he texts her and say that he can't take her anymore.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sounds like she wanted a guaranteed "date" so she didn't have to be dateless, even though she isn't actually attending in a date-like way. If I were your DS I'd say "since you've made other plans, I have too. See you at the dance." At that age, teens who are truly dating or the new pre-dating lingo of "talking" often end up broken up or changing who they are "talking" to between the HC ask and the HC dance, so him saying "I've made other plans" wouldn't be an outlier and really just mirrors what she's saying to him.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2