Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Peri-menopause and HRT - who has BTDT? Any feedback?

*Some TMI below*

I'm in my late 40s, haven't really had peri-menopause symptoms other than slightly less reliably timed periods. And then all of a sudden had the never-ending period - that required tests and a biopsy to make sure it's not uterine cancer (clear for now) and progesterone to turn off the bleeding signal. Unfortunately, the bleeding returns if I stop the meds. My GYN says its very common as a peri-menopause symptom (but not talked about as much as say, hot flashes or mood changes). I'm not having any other symptoms other than finding it hard to lose weight.

She's recommending one of 3 pathways moving forward: mini BCP, hormone replacement (estrogen patch + progesterone pill) or IUD. I'd rather not do the IUD and I couldn't really understand why I'd want to go on birth control at this stage, so I'm leaning towards HRT, which also has other potential health benefits such as bone health improvements.

I'm wondering 1) if anyone had this extended bleeding issue and what resolved it? and 2) if anyone can speak to the benefits or risks they experienced with the HRT. Would also love to hear how this phase is going for others and would welcome any advice - also from those on the other side!

Oh, and if you're reading this but aren't near peri-menopause, my #1 advice is to start thinking about it, talking about it, read Menopause Manifesto, be prepared for change. I've been caught off guard in a way I am so surprised about, because I thought I was well-informed!

for Sandy Hook

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I’m sorry you are going through this. The bleeding you are describing sounds very similar to my experience except I started in my early 40’s. I think I started to see other perimenopause symptoms in my late 30’s but my pcp refused to believe it’s was perimenopause. Looking back now, I’m sure of it: difficulty losing weight, unusually dry skin, hair and nails (when I’m typically oily), increase in allergies and started getting new ones, hot flashes especially at night, etc).

The bleeding started to really take a toll. I became anemic. I couldn’t take iron pills because no matter what kind I tried, they constipated me worse than anything ever has. Painful constipation. I was told iron injections would probably do the same thing. I posted here about the great OBGYN I saw who laid out my plan for stopping the excessive bleeding. The first thing I tried which worked for a few years was to start taking 3 advil every 6 hours when I knew my period was coming. After a few years when that was no longer working for me, I started the mini pill. I wanted to avoid messing with hormones, ablation and hysterectomy if I could. So far, I love the mini pill. Not only did it stop the bleeding but I think they helped with my migraines and they totally helped regulate my moods. I am 50yo now and probably in menopause but I’d have to stop the pills to see if my period comes back and honestly, I don’t want to mess with the good thing I got going. Doc still says it’s unlikely I’m completely through peri so she’s on board with continuing the pills.

I’ve heard people complain about taking the mini pills at exactly the right time but that’s not necessary for controlling bleeding. You only need to worry about the timing if you are using them for birth control. I never go to bed the same time and I take them every night with my Zyrtec and stool softeners. Works great for me.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Thanks for the book rec, I need to read it. I'm 48 and nothing about my body makes sense anymore.

I haven't had the extended bleeding, thankfully, but it's definitely become very unpredictable.

As an aside - DRY EYES!! Never knew what an issue they would be for me. The other night, I was woken up from a deep sleep with BURNING and WATERY EYES. Like I was chopping 3 onions. It was so crazy. Turns out it was a "dry eye episode." Anyhow, don't mean to take this way OT, but I sympathize with you and hope you decide upon the right treatment. Bone improvement with HRT sounds like a good option?

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    *Some TMI below*

I'm in my late 40s, haven't really had peri-menopause symptoms other than slightly less reliably timed periods. And then all of a sudden had the never-ending period - that required tests and a biopsy to make sure it's not uterine cancer (clear for now) and progesterone to turn off the bleeding signal. Unfortunately, the bleeding returns if I stop the meds. My GYN says its very common as a peri-menopause symptom (but not talked about as much as say, hot flashes or mood changes). I'm not having any other symptoms other than finding it hard to lose weight.

She's recommending one of 3 pathways moving forward: mini BCP, hormone replacement (estrogen patch + progesterone pill) or IUD. I'd rather not do the IUD and I couldn't really understand why I'd want to go on birth control at this stage, so I'm leaning towards HRT, which also has other potential health benefits such as bone health improvements.

I'm wondering 1) if anyone had this extended bleeding issue and what resolved it? and 2) if anyone can speak to the benefits or risks they experienced with the HRT. Would also love to hear how this phase is going for others and would welcome any advice - also from those on the other side!

Oh, and if you're reading this but aren't near peri-menopause, my #1 advice is to start thinking about it, talking about it, read Menopause Manifesto, be prepared for change. I've been caught off guard in a way I am so surprised about, because I thought I was well-informed!
    My OBGYN wouldn't prescribe the HRT patch until i was officially in menopause (one year since bleeding). Once i went on it, it was a miracle getting rid of my hot flashes! every now and then i have one, but not as intense and almost never (as opposed to all the time). hasn't helped with other issues like being annoyed with DH and dry eyes and weight gain.

One dr i enjoyed on the topic is Dr Barbie Taylor. she has a book she wrote ages ago now out of print, but has you tube videos. so helpful. also enjoyed the Dr Anna Cabeca book and podcast, The Girlfriend Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by fauve01 View Post
    My OBGYN wouldn't prescribe the HRT patch until i was officially in menopause (one year since bleeding). Once i went on it, it was a miracle getting rid of my hot flashes! every now and then i have one, but not as intense and almost never (as opposed to all the time). hasn't helped with other issues like being annoyed with DH and dry eyes and weight gain.

One dr i enjoyed on the topic is Dr Barbie Taylor. she has a book she wrote ages ago now out of print, but has you tube videos. so helpful. also enjoyed the Dr Anna Cabeca book and podcast, The Girlfriend Doctor.
    I don’t think that being annoyed with DH is something that can be fixed with a HRT patch

I’m 48, and right now my periods are starting to space out slightly (like 40-45 days) after being closer together (like 24) for a few months. Just waiting for the hot flashes. I’m super annoyed with DH all the time, but that isn’t menopause related. I’m following all the menopause posts though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I don’t think that being annoyed with DH is something that can be fixed with a HRT patch
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Amen! Though I would pay absolutely anything if that were all it took!

I had hot flashes for a month after having covid and it was MISERABLE I thought I was in menopause for sure but it seems to have gone away for now. Thank Goodness!

OP I too had heavy never ending periods and was becoming anemic. Because of blood clots, I couldn't go on the pill so I went with an IUD. Best thing I ever did.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post

I'm wondering 1) if anyone had this extended bleeding issue and what resolved it? ...
    I haven't had the extended bleed thing, but a friend who had it ended up getting uterine ablation. I seem to recall her needing to repeat the procedure at least once.

Dr Jen Gunter's social media accounts have been an absolute lifesaver for me for various reasons; I read The Vagina Bible within a year of its release and have The Menopaus Manifesto on my TBR. Her TED Talk about periods is on repeat. I'd like to get a copy of The Vagina Bible for DD, but have some concerns that it'd be a little too much (and very embarrassing) for her without a conversation beforehand.

She's also been doing short video segments she calls "Menopause Minutes" on her Instagram that I find very informative and, weirdly, reassuring.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you all for replying, commiserating and sharing your stories. I truly appreciate it. I’ve been feeling so isolated and alone during this time (DH is supportive but not much help ��). Just hearing from y’all helps so much!

I don’t know if a uterine ablation is a hysteroscopy/d&c but that’s what I had to have to remove a polyp and get an endometrial biopsy. I sure hope I don’t have to repeat it - so freaking painful! It’s what’s deterring me from the IUD option. Hated the process so much. doberbrat, tell me more about why the IUD worked for you!

fauve1, were you on the estrogen patch + progesterone pill?

for Sandy Hook

I'm 47 and perimenopausal, but also have uterine fibroids which were causing really heavy and painful periods. My primary dr referred me to an ob-gyn who put me on Oriahnn. I've been on it for a year and it's been great- it has suppressed my cycle completely as long as I am taking my pills regularly. I'm supposed to go in for an ultrasound at the end of the month to check on the size of my fibroids, hopefully they've shrunk but they aren't causing me any grief. I can only be on this medication for another year, then we'll see if i've officially hit menopause or if I have to transition to something else.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Here to commiserate and also support. Periods have been wonky and always heavy one was 2 weeks with a week of then another 2 weeks. ARGH. Anemic, get iron infusions (just got one last month). Had an ultrasound this week, found a questionable mass, thicker lining than average, and a bunch of fibroids. Waiting to see a gyn and likely get a biopsy.

Overall rating -5 stars. I can’t do anything with hormones so no experience there (other than my IUD almost sent me over the edge).
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast