Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bedwetting alarm brand recommendation?

We are ready to try a bedwetting alarm and would love to hear your brand recommendations. There are a lot of options out there.

I think we want something that goes inside the underwear (not just a pad) because sometimes DC soaks the bed and sometimes it's just a smaller amount so underwear is wet but the bed is fine. I think we want wireless? Open to wired if not uncomfortable, though DC flops around a lot so wonder if it would be cumbersome. I also think we'd like to be able to adjust sound volume (and do some units have the option to just vibrate? maybe that wouldn't be enough anyway).

This is for a tween who wasn't reliably dry until age 8, and I haven't kept close track but would say periodic bedwetting started up again in the last year. We go through cycles where it's happening frequently, and then we'll have a few months dry. As best we can tell it's connected to deep sleep. It happens most frequently when the sleeping schedule is off kilter (due to a couple late nights or traveling, say).

We do have a ped appointment coming up to rule out medical issues. I'm pretty confident we aren't dealing with constipation but will discuss with the ped. And prefer to try the alarm before medication.

Thank you!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you have a ped appt coming up ask them to test for celiac disease. It's a simple blood test. DS1 wet the bed regularly until he was 13 (I've posted about it on here) and I read that it could be a sign of celiac disease in kids. My FIL has celiac disease so there's a family history. DS1's test was negative but after keeping a food journal for months there was a clear link to him eating gluten and then wetting the bed 2 nights in a row. We ended up cutting out gluten and the bedwetting stopped within 48 hours. Going gluten free and taking pumpkin seed extract daily kept him accident free.

The alarms never worked for DS1. He slept through them all and there was so much pee he actually rusted them out.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    If you have a ped appt coming up ask them to test for celiac disease. It's a simple blood test. DS1 wet the bed regularly until he was 13 (I've posted about it on here) and I read that it could be a sign of celiac disease in kids. My FIL has celiac disease so there's a family history. DS1's test was negative but after keeping a food journal for months there was a clear link to him eating gluten and then wetting the bed 2 nights in a row. We ended up cutting out gluten and the bedwetting stopped within 48 hours. Going gluten free and taking pumpkin seed extract daily kept him accident free.

The alarms never worked for DS1. He slept through them all and there was so much pee he actually rusted them out.

Another thing to discuss would be possible sleep apnea. DS wet the bed for a long time and it didn't stop fully until he got a CPAP. I had to fight to get a sleep study because he isn't your typical apnea kid (thin, active, healthy, etc) but it made a world of difference. I didn't connect the two until I realized, and then found articles about it. DS did outgrow his apnea, as it was a structural issue and as his jaw expanded it solved the problem.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's been over a decade, but back in the day we used the Malem brand alarm and it worked extremely well. It was wired (no wireless option back then) and clipped to the crotch of the underwear and the alarm pack attached to the waistband. Best $$$ I ever spent.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    It's been over a decade, but back in the day we used the Malem brand alarm and it worked extremely well. It was wired (no wireless option back then) and clipped to the crotch of the underwear and the alarm pack attached to the waistband. Best $$$ I ever spent.
    Yes to this - our experience as well.

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Malem alarm also worked really well for us.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Malem fans here!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Not to hijack--but is he still gluten free? What does he eat, especially for lunch? My 11 yr old still has wet nights about 50% of the time but I don't know what he would take for lunch if we went GF! I could probably work around for breakfast and dinner.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Not to hijack--but is he still gluten free? What does he eat, especially for lunch? My 11 yr old still has wet nights about 50% of the time but I don't know what he would take for lunch if we went GF! I could probably work around for breakfast and dinner.
    No, he was very strict gluten free for several years but with the pumpkin seed extract we didn't have to worry about cross contamination anymore and he was slowly able to reintroduce gluten without issue. He mainly ate gluten when with friends as being a teenager on a strict diet is hard. At home he was gluten free 99% of the time as all the meals I made were gluten free. He's a protein lover and basically all the lunches he took to school consisted of sausages, chicken breasts, chicken wings, or chicken skewers plus sliced cheese and fruit! He put on so much muscle during high school! Even now at 19 whenever he's hungry he just eats a bunch of meat. He doesn't really like bread, grains, rice, or pasta.

Last edited by essnce629; 10-06-2022 at 07:09 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No, he was very strict gluten free for several years but with the pumpkin seed extract we didn't have to worry about cross contamination anymore and he was slowly able to reintroduce gluten without issue. He mainly ate gluten when with friends as being a teenager on a strict diet is hard. At home he was gluten free 99% of the time as all the meals I made were gluten free. He's a protein lover and basically all the lunches he took to school consisted of sausages, chicken breasts, chicken wings, or chicken skewers plus sliced cheese and fruit! He put on so much muscle during high school! Even now at 19 whenever he's hungry he just eats a bunch of meat. He doesn't really like bread, grains, rice, or pasta.

Ugh. Neither or my kids are meat lovers.
    I did try the pumpkin seed extract with DS and thought it helped so I should order more of that!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast