Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I love these packing cubes. I like that you can see the clothes through the mesh window: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01...b_b_asin_title

These detergent sheets are so handy. You probably wouldn’t need to bring more than half a sheet to sink-wash your travel clothes: https://smile.amazon.com/Earth-Breez...-1-spons&psc=1

Much easier than an umbrella and can be used for warmth if needed too: https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...es=14409,44967

and for Dh: https://www.landsend.com/products/me...tes=8063,44967

Love these toothpaste replacements: https://www.lushusa.com/face/oral-ca...999961259.html
    I haven’t tried Lush’s shampoo & conditioner bars for a few years. I didn’t love them before but they got the job done & meant fewer liquids in my carry-on luggage!

My Dh and boys live in these in the summer. Great for camping & travel: https://smile.amazon.com/Columbia-Si...s%2C135&sr=8-3

I hope you have a really wonderful trip. You have worked hard for this over the past few years!!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Sounds like a great time. been in Europe a few times in the last 6 months and DH is there now. I wouldn’t worry — it was very easy. We prefer staying in a place a little longer but it is personal preference. While I hate bus tours they are very efficient at seeing a lot if you are doing a lot of places in a short time. Pack super light — 3-4 outfits rinse unders in the sink it will be fine. We like to pick 1-2 major things we want to do in a day vs try to jam 5 into a day — I love just sitting at a cafe or wandering around (personal choice). For lodging I am not big into $$$$ but do like location. I use trip advisor. A couple subway stops away can also be a good choice. Uber and taxis can often be easy too — I hate renting cars unless we are staying in a house in the country side for a week etc.

Free lodging is AWESOME. Take full advantage of that. I would aim For 2 weeks if you can — the kids will be FINE. For planing I would start with the MUST go places with dates, I would then make a short list of really want to dos and see how they fit in. Then I would look at a map and see if you could stop somewhere as a bonus on the way to a destination.

So I am making this up but
    to get to Singen assume you are maybe flying into Zurich and then a train to Singen. Well so you COULD spend a night or 2 in Zurich and walk around a little then train to Singen. Then say you are staying 3 nights there. You COULD take the train to Strassbourg (which is beautiful) and eat great French food spend a night there and then take the high speed train to Paris. I would want to spend a few nights in Paris (or weeks!). And for me I would be happy BUT if you want to up the game you could instead go from Strassbourg to Nice in south France (flight is direct) and hang out in the south of France and THEN fly to Paris and hang there and fly home from Paris (picking your start and stop airports is key).

HAVE SO MUCH FUN!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post

So I am making this up but
    to get to Singen assume you are maybe flying into Zurich and then a train to Singen. Well so you COULD spend a night or 2 in Zurich and walk around a little then train to Singen. Then say you are staying 3 nights there. You COULD take the train to Strassbourg (which is beautiful) and eat great French food spend a night there and then take the high speed train to Paris. I would want to spend a few nights in Paris (or weeks!). And for me I would be happy BUT if you want to up the game you could instead go from Strassbourg to Nice in south France (flight is direct) and hang out in the south of France and THEN fly to Paris and hang there and fly home from Paris (picking your start and stop airports is key).

HAVE SO MUCH FUN!
    Strasbourg is where I worked as a nanny for 2 years. It really is beautiful. If you go, be sure to tour the Cathedral. It has a 600+ yr old clock that does an amazing display on the hour and every 15 minutes (iirc). In the same square plaza as the cathedral are medieval and renaissance-era half-timber house as well as the old-town area. It’s charming and beautiful and it’s all accessible by an easy-to-use tram. There is so much to see in Strasbourg within walking distance.

The fast train (TGV) connects Strasbourg to the south of France as well as Paris. We have heard from friends who live in Provence that they frequently hop on the TGV to spend the day in Paris and then take the train to come back to Provence that evening. So that leaves you with many nice travel options.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you Lisa and Hillview for your tips! I'm taking notes!

As far as itinerary, we don't know which order to do it in BUT we know that DH's parents have plans at the latter portion of our trip. So we don't necessarily want to end up there LAST BUT at the same time, we are most worried about the weather there? We're not used to the cold and think that late April might still be really chilly in Germany. Will putting the trip at the end even make a difference?

I was actually thinking, fly into Paris. That way we see the sights when we're groggy and jetlagged but not driving and in a place that is a little more amenable to odd hours perhaps? Then TGV to Singen so we catch DH's parents while they are there but potentially with a little better chance of not being exhausted. Finally TGV again to Southern France where we'll get a car and have a bit of a leisurely vibe? And maybe even enjoy the warmth? (I cannot honestly remember how warm it is in April on the Cote...I think it is probably similar to April in CA which is not cold, but perhaps not quite warm yet??)

This is so incredibly fun to think about. I'm pinching myself even considering this itinerary!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thank you Lisa and Hillview for your tips! I'm taking notes!

As far as itinerary, we don't know which order to do it in BUT we know that DH's parents have plans at the latter portion of our trip. So we don't necessarily want to end up there LAST BUT at the same time, we are most worried about the weather there? We're not used to the cold and think that late April might still be really chilly in Germany. Will putting the trip at the end even make a difference?

I was actually thinking, fly into Paris. That way we see the sights when we're groggy and jetlagged but not driving and in a place that is a little more amenable to odd hours perhaps? Then TGV to Singen so we catch DH's parents while they are there but potentially with a little better chance of not being exhausted. Finally TGV again to Southern France where we'll get a car and have a bit of a leisurely vibe? And maybe even enjoy the warmth? (I cannot honestly remember how warm it is in April on the Cote...I think it is probably similar to April in CA which is not cold, but perhaps not quite warm yet??)

This is so incredibly fun to think about. I'm pinching myself even considering this itinerary!
    This might be a good Christmas gift for you and Dh : https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...es=21312,44967. It looks like Paris and Singen have similar temperatures in April- low of 40 degrees, highs of low 60’s. So you will definitely want to bring some warm clothes. If you bring packable down coats they are easy to pack away when not in use. Bring some leggings to layer under your pants if you will be outside a lot. Bring hats and mittens too. You’ll want something heavier than sneakers in case you get rain along with the cold. Looks like Provence can get down to 46 and up to 65 for daytime highs in April so that should be a nice break!

As for driving the day after you land in Paris, you are smart to consider the jet lag. Renting a car and driving away from an airport after landing overseas is like the perfect storm: at what feels like 3am to us we are thrust into daytime traffic in a foreign language with foreign road signs. It’s definitely not the easiest or most pleasant experience. I’ve never liked driving (or even traveling) on the first day of travel. It’s just so hard.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3