Default 70-somethings are a lot like toddlers

I'm working advanced voting for my county - 99.9% of the voters are delightful. It is only about 50/50 for my fellow poll workers. A few truly do not have inside voices or filters. There's a whole lot of randomly hollering to the room and no one listening to each other.

There are times it is almost comical to watch, but at the same time completely overstimulating to my system.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    I'm working advanced voting for my county - 99.9% of the voters are delightful. It is only about 50/50 for my fellow poll workers. A few truly do not have inside voices or filters. There's a whole lot of randomly hollering to the room and no one listening to each other.

There are times it is almost comical to watch, but at the same time completely overstimulating to my system.
    Hahahaha, this is so true. Add to the loud voices and no filter, lack of spacial awareness and demanding for attention.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes! I have a family member who adds phrases after each time I speak. “I know that!” “That’s not what I mean!” “That’s what I said!” “I won’t eat that!” It’s exhausting!

I had to tell a hostess at a fancy restaurant that you can’t control old people this summer. We needed the whole party to be seated, and my parents were absolutely there somewhere, but managed to disappear when they knew I needed them there to not lose our table. Turns out they decided they’d stop in at the bathroom rather than meet me at the hostess stand, and then they got lost, and then…. Anyway, it’s true that people in their late 70s/80s tend to do whatever they want rather than what they’re asked to do.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

I'm halfway through and think I can make it. 6 days down and 6 more to go. I started being a poll worker in 2020 and joked about bringing down the average age. The problem is they won't listen to anyone under 60, and then complain there aren't people volunteering to help out.

A voter had arrived a few minutes after we closed. Three of them were standing at the door just shaking their heads and pointing at the sign with the hours. He obviously had more questions, so I pushed through them saying "use your words" and went outside to talk with the guy.