bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Help me figure out what to wear this winter with BIG ATHLETIC SHOES

I'm going to buy new shoes tomorrow for my injured foot (feet). I think I need some new outfits to go with. The PT and the Podiatrist both recommended Hokas. I've looked at pics and they're...substantial. I am 46 and have a minimal wardrobe. Normally this time of year I live in heeled booties, jeans, t-shirt and a sweater when I do anything beyond athleisure. That said, these days since I'm working from home athleisure is mostly what I wear! I think I want to buy a pair of pants or two that might be a little dressed up and go with my new shoes (is that even possible?) and maybe just add a few pair of leggings and joggers?

I'm on a budget but would pay more for a few nice things that I'll wear often. I'm more of a capsule wardrobe kind of girl and my purchases in the past two years have been very minimal. It is time for an upgrade!

Would love suggestions! I don't want to look frumpy but I'm also very afraid of looking too try hard...

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Can you just give yourself some grace and let your body heal without worrying about whether your clothes match your shoes? I'm not sure anything can turn a Hoka into a stylish shoe outside of fitness..... but, then I'm not a person who focuses on style. I hope you get some other suggestions.

I have dealt with plantar faciatis twice that led me to purchasing shoes I didn't think were attractive and wearing them because I wanted my foot to heal. My perspective on footwear changed considerably. Good luck.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I wear hokas with jeans or joggers to work. They’re just a sneaker. Very very comfortable!! Like walking on clouds

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hah, I had to do this exact thing two years ago! I now have three or four pairs of HOKAs in rotation in different colors. I wear them with jeans, Athleta pants, even cute jumpsuits. They are super common here in the Bay Area and no one looks twice when I wear them with almost anything. I wear them like 90% of the time!

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    Can you just give yourself some grace and let your body heal without worrying about whether your clothes match your shoes? I'm not sure anything can turn a Hoka into a stylish shoe outside of fitness..... but, then I'm not a person who focuses on style. I hope you get some other suggestions.

I have dealt with plantar faciatis twice that led me to purchasing shoes I didn't think were attractive and wearing them because I wanted my foot to heal. My perspective on footwear changed considerably. Good luck.
    This is the sweetest sentiment and I just love the reminder here. Thank you for chiming in. I suppose this is just one more way that I do need to give myself grace and time to heal.

Thank you Nicci and Citymama for reminding me that athletic footwear is everywhere these days. My more fashionable younger sisters were just saying the same thing. It is a change for me but I'll get used to it and maybe I'll stick with it!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I see Hokas all of the time here now. I had a pair three years ago (after a co worker recommended them) and I rarely noticed anyone wearing them. Everyone was into Allbirds then. At sometime during the pandemic they became insanely popular and what did Hoka do? They changed the model I had (Gaviota 2 to Gaviota 3) slightly and they no longer work for me. Now I have basic Asics GT1000s or Brooks Adrenaline (Jennifer Garner wears these!) and feel like I am the only person not wearing Hokas these days.

Clothing wise if Costco has them the Danskin. leggings are great for about $15, as are Offline leggings by Aerie, and the Old Navy 3/4 length leggings (but both are more expensive than the Danskin).

ETA: I have also been a pretty loyal Brooks fan since around 2001 and sadly now they don’t make the Addiction like they used to and the Ghost and Adrenaline shoes take forever to break in (especially if you are using them for walking 2-3 miles daily), but once you break them in they are pretty comfy. I prefer the Adrenaline slightly more to the Ghost.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-14-2022 at 03:11 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I could have written this post! After an ankle injury ( torn ligament), I started wearing Brooks Ghost 14. They just don’t look so huge, but when I went back to my ankle surgeon at HSS, he really wants me in Hoka exclusively. I’m also feeling fashion challenged wearing them and will be following for every good suggestion anyone offers!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hokas are having a fashion moment...you know this when Dicks Sporting Goods has set up an entire Hoka show space they way they do for Jordans lol.

These are my current fav jogger.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.