Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How terrible to be on the sidelines of this and not be able to change anything for her. I'm so sorry. Praying her kids can figure out a solution.

I'm so so sorry. I've watched a few people in our family essentially give up and drink themselves to the end and it's heartbreaking to watch and not be able to change the environment they are in. I'm hope your family can figure out how to help her.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

your FIL sounds like a classic narcissist and your MIL is trying to survive. She should have divorced him years ago but here you are. Any recovery program worth it's salt would hold FIL accountable for his role in MILs drinking. Sadly, FIL will not change and the kids won't acknowledge that he is one who needs to change. They will all buzz around MIL. She just needs to get away from him. And yes she needs to find a healthier coping mechanism. OR remove the problem! But that won't happen. I can see why she drinks....
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm so sorry. I have a family member in a similar situation and it's so hard. All you can do is take care of yourself and your husband and kids and get through it the best you can.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    I'm so sorry. I have a family member in a similar situation and it's so hard. All you can do is take care of yourself and your husband and kids and get through it the best you can.
    Agree with Gracemom. Nothing will change. All you can do is protect your immediate family from as much fallout as you can. Would your DH see a therapist to discuss all of this so he can get support and not just rely on you?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2