Thread: ugh. neighbors.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default ugh. neighbors.

We live on 3 acres, mostly wooded. Over the last 5 years most of our very large ash trees have died-victims of emerald ash borers. We have spent many, many thousands of dollars getting trees taken down. There are 4 more, far from our house and our neighbors that we have scheduled to remove- the issue is they are near the power lines- which makes removing them necessary but also somewhat complex because the power company needs to cut the power on the day they come down- we are on their list for this happen, but it is taking some time. A branch from one of those trees landed on the cable line and cut the cable to our neighbor's house yesterday afternoon. Because we live in the woods, our cable and power go out somewhat regularly- dead trees or not, it's just the way it goes. Well neighbor sent me rage emails all night long that we were causing her intense suffering because her cable was out and it was our fault for not taking those trees down (she knows we are working on it). Her livelihood depends on working internet and on and on...At that point the cable had been out for 3 hours. I get that it is frustrating, but I don't control which invasive species are coming to our state nor do I set the schedule for the utility companies. Argh

Ugh, I’m sorry. We must live near each other. We are lucky and only have 5 ash trees, which we decided to treat. Our neighbor had 40+ ash trees on her property, and her husband has gone through two chainsaws cutting them down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm sad about your tree loss and your neighbor! That's so OOT. You would think she'd have a backup plan living in a place where outages are frequent!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

"I'm sorry, I didn't get your email because our internet was out."

SMH... if she has a connection to send emails, she can still work.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    "I'm sorry, I didn't get your email because our internet was out."

that's what dh said-
    it is sad to lose all those trees- our tree guy said he is starting to see a lot of big oaks dying too, we don't have many oaks but just in general our planet can't afford to lose all our big trees...

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    that's what dh said-
    it is sad to lose all those trees- our tree guy said he is starting to see a lot of big oaks dying too, we don't have many oaks but just in general our planet can't afford to lose all our big trees...
    I never know if it is okay to be sad over BBB members losing their trees. I have learned that there are parts of the country where yards are COVERED with big trees and home owners desire more space/light and so remove trees on purpose. In drought-stricken CA I can tell you that beautiful, full grown trees are precious! So again, I'm sorry you lost your trees! Your property sounds rather amazing at least.

And o_mom, that's hysterical. What a good rejoinder!

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    It IS possible that she still had connection on her phone but did not have a hot spot to connect her laptop/etc.

We live in a very similar sounding area to you, OP. I know that moment of panic your neighbor probably had when the internet went out for "no good reason". But, dude. It's part of life in the woods!! You accept that & get a hot spot or realize that there will be days that you have to make up time late or.... Didn't we all learn that during lock downs????
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)