Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Disneyland with a wheelchair questions?

DH got us tickets to go to DL in about 1.5 weeks. We’re 3 months post incident but I’m still dealing with bad swelling in my ankle after a sprain/torn fascia while on vacation. I can walk with no boot or crutch but I still try to take multiple breaks to get my foot up. If I don’t do this, I get massive swelling which is painful but not necessarily harmful. Like it will set back my mobility a few days but won’t cause further injury if that makes sense.

I’m just nervous. I can stay home but DH might not take the kids if I don’t go. I can probably use a wheelchair but that seems like overkill? I have used crutches for weeks now! I’m mostly thinking it would be nice to use IF the wheelchair had a place to rest my leg. Seating at Disney is not always the most conducive to elevating your foot!

Has anyone used one? Did you get any pushback? I realize I might get side eye but I can live with that. I’m not trying for an unfair advantage. Also, having never used one before, do the Disney wheelchairs have leg extensions? If not I’m not sure there’s any advantage as sitting with my leg down is as bad, possibly even worse than being on my feet or walking!

Would love your thoughts!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

When we went this summer, my aunt had foot surgery a week prior. She rented a scooter from the hotel across the street that we stayed at. The new system for disabilities allows you to use an app to register for ride times, and then you show up at that time and have a much shorter line to wait it. We did that. Then she used crutches to transfer from her scooter to the ride. I’m not sure if their wheel chairs have an elevated leg rest. Disney is so much walking, so I definitely would use a wheelchair or a scooter in your situation.

Thanks so much for answering! So I google searched yesterday and caught a Disboards thread that talks about whether or not wheelchairs have the leg extender and the ones you can rent at the park do not have them. Without them, there's really no point, as sitting is equally bad for my foot as walking or standing. I still need to talk to my DH about this but maybe I'll call customer service and see what they can offer. I suppose I can take periodic breaks at the medic center. It just seems really boring and not that fun for me and might be a drain on my family. I still need to talk to DH about it. I just don't think I'm willing to feel crummy for a couple of days in order to go... but my kids REALLY want to go, lol!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What about killing time at shows? Find something unpopular so you can put your leg up on the empty seat in front of you. Make dining reservations? Prop while you eat wherever?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    What about killing time at shows? Find something unpopular so you can put your leg up on the empty seat in front of you. Make dining reservations? Prop while you eat wherever?

These are good suggestions! I don't know of any unpopular shows and I'm even wondering if there are any food places that aren't crowded all the time, but it is worth scouting out! Way more fun and festive than the medical center, lol.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hall of Presidents?

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    These are good suggestions! I don't know of any unpopular shows and I'm even wondering if there are any food places that aren't crowded all the time, but it is worth scouting out! Way more fun and festive than the medical center, lol.
    We were there last weekend and there weren't many unpopular spots! I'd sit over where you get on the Mark Twain. It's a nice spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    We were there last weekend and there weren't many unpopular spots! I'd sit over where you get on the Mark Twain. It's a nice spot.
    This tracks with my more recent experiences at the parks, though admittedly there haven't been many of those!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I know very little about Disney, period, and the least about Disneyland, but...

I've just been researching Disney World a lot lately, planning for a trip next year. At Disney World, it seems like there is a massive amount of non-Disney companies that flourish around the park and offer just about everything you could possibly need -- scooters, strollers, wheelchairs, etc. I'm guessing these exist to some degree around Disneyland too? If Disney wheelchairs don't have footrests, could you look into renting one with a footrest from a third-party vendor?

Given the situation you described, I think a wheelchair would be essential and would make your visit much, much more comfortable. You are for sure not the first one to be in the parks with a wheelchair! I think it would be much better to be in the park with a wheelchair you don't need than to be halfway through your day and miserable because you don't have one!
    Lizi

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it is really kind of you to even consider going!

But if you decide to go, definitely call around to find a wheelchair with footrest rental. You’ll be so glad you did! Anything else just sounds uncomfortable and potentially painful. You’ve worked so hard to rehab your foot, you don’t want any setbacks now.
    K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast