bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Yikes! Training bra or other solution for my 9yo?

DD just barely turned 9 but she's definitely got breast buds. How is she growing up so fast?? So far I've avoided any situation by choosing heavier or patterned shirts or layering but I'd love for her to be able to dress herself. What even options are there out there? I feel like 9 is too young to wear a traditional type bra? Maybe a camisole would work? I really can't remember what I did back in the day. I do know that I was quite a bit older when I needed something and also that it was very embarrassing even then.

TIA!

DD started around that age with a cami of 1/2 cami top.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD is 10 and has been wearing these for years.

Rene Rofe Girls' Kaylee or Zoey Training Bra – 6 Pack Comfort Stretch Cami Bralette (7-14) https://a.co/d/gmVMEmD
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DDs both did training bras (pull over the head style) from Target/Walmart at that stage. Both girls also often chose sports bras at that age.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wore cropped camis at that age because wearing a camisole or other undershirt under a lightweight poplin blouse was too obvious (also, the building was ancient, so the heating system was overactive in some classrooms) until I started wearing a bra around age 12.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    My DD is 10 and has been wearing these for years.

Rene Rofe Girls' Kaylee or Zoey Training Bra – 6 Pack Comfort Stretch Cami Bralette (7-14) https://a.co/d/gmVMEmD
    All my friends and I wore this style of crop top at 9. Breast buds usually start at age 9, she's totally on time developmentally, not early at all. But make sure you talk about it to her! I totally thought I had breast cancer since I always heard that breast lumps = cancer!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    But make sure you talk about it to her! I totally thought I had breast cancer since I always heard that breast lumps = cancer!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Oh my goodness, so did I!! I also made sure to talk to my DD about it too.

My DD started out wearing these -- I think she was 9, too: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-32...20Nude&prdPV=3

I'm pretty confident breast buds at 9 are totally developmentally appropriate. I can also say my DD had the start of them at 9, and she's now almost 11 and she still has breast buds, and no more -- so don't stress, it's a long process! (sometimes anyways, I realize it's totally different for every single girl).

I have to say though, in my daughter and my experience - with a lot of the fabrics used for girls shirts today, the fabric is so thin that it really doesn't matter if there's a bralette on or not, if the goal is to "hide" the breast buds. My DD was uncomfortable with them showing, and we had to move to a (very lightly) padded bralette (this one: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-29...0White&prdPV=1) to actually keep the front of her shirts "smooth". That being said: the only reason my DD is wearing any sort of bra is because *she* told me she wanted to, and I'm supporting what makes her feel comfortable. If your DD doesn't care/isn't interested in wearing a bra, I wouldn't push the issue either - breast buds don't necessarily require a bra immediately.
    Lizi

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD wore these https://www.target.com/p/girls-39-2p...s/-/A-83945127 and these https://www.target.com/p/girls-39-se...s/-/A-51076856. They are very soft and affordable. She slowly got used to the feeling of wearing a bra, which initially she didn’t like.

Hth!
    K

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

First, she is at a very common age for breast buds! I remember struggling with my DD because she needed something but I also did not want to make her feel she needed to hide her body in any way. I ended up getting some camis/sports bra types from Aerie and just putting them in her drawer and letting her know they were there if she wanted to wear them. It took a month or two but she started wearing on her own. I also took out a few shirts that were too thin or tight and just put in donate bag and she never noticed. ��

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you for the recommendations and the reassurances! mmsmom, I think I'll do a similar strategy for DD. At this point, it depends entirely on the shirt she wears so maybe the most egregious offenders can just disappear for a bit. And I like the idea of showing them to her and "letting" her choose to wear them. She might actually like them. She is excited about growing up.