bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default International Flight without Seat Selection?

I just bit the bullet and bought tickets for my trip to Germany/France in April. We found a great flight. Perfect from a timing sense and a good price ($995 roundtrip) and we jumped on it.

But we couldn't select seats. I get anxiety if I don't have a window seat BUT when considering it I realized the last time I really had a hard time on a flight I was a. super tired, b. 5 months pregnant, c. on a smallish plane, and d. didn't yet have a smart phone! I think the fact that I'm not pregnant, will be on a bigger plane and have a smart phone I can load up with content and air pods might make a difference?

I also at one time had a script for an anti-anxiety med for flying that I ended up never using when I discovered that I was completely fine so long as I had a window seat. I might be able to get one again, though I wonder if it is good idea to take medicine you've never had before? I honestly believe that even just HAVING the medicine made me less anxious while I was figuring things out.

DH and I are fine with saving money by not sitting together. I just hope I'm not miserable sitting somewhere in the middle of the plane!

Oops! Wrong forum! Mods please move!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’m sure you can pay for a seat selection. We always do. I have no desire to roll the dice on that. But, after our last international flight I’m also not inclined to sit basic economy ever again either. I never fly anything but basic around the US and have no trouble but our British Airways flight packed the rows and seats so tight that it was misery.
    Get the meds. They’ll be a nice back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I’m sure you can pay for a seat selection. We always do. I have no desire to roll the dice on that. But, after our last international flight I’m also not inclined to sit basic economy ever again either. I never fly anything but basic around the US and have no trouble but our British Airways flight packed the rows and seats so tight that it was misery.
    Get the meds. They’ll be a nice back up.

We got our flights through booking.com. It didn't give us an option to select seats! How would we go about selecting seats? Or did we miss the opportunity by booking 3rd party? I am feeling...ok about it? But I'm a little worried I'll regret it. Do I contact our direct carriers? The direct flight says "United/Swiss Air" so I'm not sure which carrier it would be!

Thanks for responding! I will get the meds.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don’t book 3rd party. But, maybe your confirmation number will let you interact with the airline’s website directly? I’d try. For our summer trip we had to upload things to the airline websites so I’d assume even those that didn’t book direct would have to do that too so probably some way to access your reservation on there.
    United would be your airline to start.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    We got our flights through booking.com. It didn't give us an option to select seats! How would we go about selecting seats? Or did we miss the opportunity by booking 3rd party? I am feeling...ok about it? But I'm a little worried I'll regret it. Do I contact our direct carriers? The direct flight says "United/Swiss Air" so I'm not sure which carrier it would be!

Thanks for responding! I will get the meds.
    I actually got Ativan for my wedding because I was ready to strangle my mother--and I loooove my mom! I took one a few days beforehand to see how it affected me and I was fine. So just ask for a really small amount of pills (I literally asked for 2-one to try and one to take) and you shouldn't have an issue getting them from your provider.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

DH figured it out! I have a window seat both ways. Phew!!