Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Band questions

Default Band questions

So DS1 is in 8th grade and he has a D- in band!!!! Apparently the only way to earn points for your grade is to attend lessons and perform certain tasks (scales, songs, etc.) Kids have to schedule their own lessons that take place during other classes. Last year (6-7 building), the band teachers scheduled lessons and made sure they were during non-academic classes (like PE, art, study hall). The lessons were at the same time every week, so it wasn’t that difficult to remember. This year (8-9 building), the kids need to schedule their own lessons and availability is limited. DS doesn’t want to miss geometry, so that leaves Health, which he also doesn’t want to miss, but it’s better than missing math. Plus since you schedule lessons yourself, they could be at any time, different every week. This is just too much for DS1 to handle. (He has ADHD.) So he’s only managed to schedule 2 lessons and has a D-. The grading system is the same for next year (9th grade where grades matter!!!!) He wants to quit band because of this grading situation even though he enjoys playing his instrument (tenor sax) and loves participating in concerts. I feel like the grading system isn’t fair and that it’s unreasonable to expect kids to miss other classes in order to get points for band. Am I totally off base??? Thanks!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I agree that it is not reasonable to expect kids to miss other classes to earn their grade in math. Every once in a while to prepare for a big performance maybe, but not as a routine part of the class.

Is there a local youth band or orchestra he could participate in as an extracurricular activity? Is he wanting to do school marching band or similar later on? Or just wanting to keep learning to play his instrument?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    So DS1 is in 8th grade and he has a D- in band!!!! Apparently the only way to earn points for your grade is to attend lessons and perform certain tasks (scales, songs, etc.) Kids have to schedule their own lessons that take place during other classes. Last year (6-7 building), the band teachers scheduled lessons and made sure they were during non-academic classes (like PE, art, study hall). The lessons were at the same time every week, so it wasn’t that difficult to remember. This year (8-9 building), the kids need to schedule their own lessons and availability is limited. DS doesn’t want to miss geometry, so that leaves Health, which he also doesn’t want to miss, but it’s better than missing math. Plus since you schedule lessons yourself, they could be at any time, different every week. This is just too much for DS1 to handle. (He has ADHD.) So he’s only managed to schedule 2 lessons and has a D-. The grading system is the same for next year (9th grade where grades matter!!!!) He wants to quit band because of this grading situation even though he enjoys playing his instrument (tenor sax) and loves participating in concerts. I feel like the grading system isn’t fair and that it’s unreasonable to expect kids to miss other classes in order to get points for band. Am I totally off base??? Thanks!
    I don't think you are off base at all. If I were you, I'd try to explain to the school that this is just one of the activities your son needs accommodations for and will again next year. He will need someone who can help schedule his lessons. Clearly he is struggling with the scheduling part. It requires some juggling other executive functioning skills which are affected by ADHD. It's either that or he drops out which would be a shame but of course, he needs to protect his GPA.

For the record, I think it's ridiculous that kids have to miss other classes to get points for band but fighting the entire way the systems works is not something I'd take on right now. First I'd try the accommodation route.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD2 is in 7th grade band. They get pulled out of classes for lesson. But the band teacher schedules and it rotates which day and period so she isn’t always missing the same class for lesson. That does mean she occasionally missed accelerated math and science but the teachers understand this is how band works and help kids to make up missed work/instruction. They do get a grade in band and it is contingent on their participation in band (a scheduled period of the day) and lesson. I would find it unreasonable for middle schoolers to have to manage scheduling their own lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it's ridiculous. They expect them to miss a class that gets a grade (health) to take a lesson for another class that gets a grade? That makes no sense!! I had no idea that was how band worked in some places. Around here, band is just band. You don't have to do anything outside of class with the exception that marching band has an extra practice on Wednesdays after school for an hour. A lot of people end up quitting band because it takes a period away from other electives that they'd rather take.

I don't think you're off base at all. I think if he's gonna stay he should definitely get some help scheduling. That will buy you time to decide what he wants to do next year. Will missing health all of the time hurt his health grade?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I think it's ridiculous. They expect them to miss a class that gets a grade (health) to take a lesson for another class that gets a grade? That makes no sense!! I had no idea that was how band worked in some places. Around here, band is just band. You don't have to do anything outside of class with the exception that marching band has an extra practice on Wednesdays after school for an hour. A lot of people end up quitting band because it takes a period away from other electives that they'd rather take.

I don't think you're off base at all. I think if he's gonna stay he should definitely get some help scheduling. That will buy you time to decide what he wants to do next year. Will missing health all of the time hurt his health grade?
    agree.
    Band is a class on their schedule here.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Okay, so it sounds like I’m not off base with my concerns. I emailed the assistant principal (who is in charge of DS’s 504) to express my concerns in general and specifically to DS as a kid with ADHD. I guess I should also point out that TONS of kids drop band in 8-9th grade. DS is one of two kids who play the tenor sax. At the band concert a couple of weeks ago, DS was super excited and proud. It’s ridiculous that he feels like he needs to drop the class because he has a D- because of the lesson situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've never heard of having to miss another academic class for band. That is not a thing here. Maybe missing a class before a big performance happens from time to time, but not on a regular basis. My kids' middle school has a drum line and a ukulele club besides the regular band classes. Both of those meet before or after school, as they are in addition to band. But parents/students sign up for that and agree to attend the early/late practices. I would not let my child continue with band if they had to miss class on a weekly basis. Trying to make up missed classwork is a big hassle at their school.

So DS1 is in band which is required for 6th grade, they had a choice of choir, strings or band. He chose the same as yours with tenor sax, and it’s a period lesson within their schedule. Once a week (or every 5 cycle days is a required lesson with a period build in their schedule) and 2nd class is during their elective like study hall, gym, resource so DS1 is not missing his crucial classes to attend that 2nd band class.

I think it’s a ridiculous set up your child school is doing. They’re setting their students up to fail in that kind of setup. I would make it a point with the school admin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Band mom here. The grading practice at your school sounds utterly ridiculous. In middle school around here, grading is based mostly on participation, practice (they have to practice a certain number of minutes a week and have parents sign something attesting to it), attending performances, and to a smaller degree, playing assessments. However, assessments are always done in class. I agree with a PP to focus on your child needing accommodations. I am also nodding along in agreement with the person who said that many kids end up dropping band because it conflicts with another elective. That's what happened with DS1 when he got to high school. He loved playing trumpet and was quite good at it, but we just couldn't fit it into his schedule along with the other classes he wanted to take to fulfill his academic goals. Such a shame.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast