bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How to build a wardrobe around this jacket?

Hello to my fashion forward sisters! My sister bought me this jacket this past spring:

https://factory.jcrew.com/p/womens/c...nch-coat/AL220

It is by far the nicest piece of clothing that I own! Unfortunately, because it is blue, I'm sort of stuck on what kinds of pieces will work with it? Is it a true neutral? Can I mix in lots of blue and navy? Or will those clash? I have the exciting job of trying to buy a few pieces of clothing that will work for a trip to Europe in mid to late April that will include the Riviera but also the Alps and I think my current coat could be the piece I build around?

I can put together a great outfit for Disneyland but Europe seems both fancier and colder so I'm feeling stuck!

Would love advice! Thank you!

It is an absolutely beautiful piece. It is a great color. Don’t worry about matching or clashing. I can’t think of anything that wouldn’t work with it. Trust me, you will get many compliments on it, no matter what it s worn with.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think that's very much a neutral and you can wear almost anything with it. Love the color!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks guys! That's good to hear that it will coordinate with a lot. I actually love the color. It just doesn't seem quite as "neutral" as camel or khaki, lol. But it is a beautiful piece. Like I said, I've never had such a nice coat!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I absolutely love navy and agree that piece is beautiful! You can generally treat it as a neutral. It would look great on top of a tonal outfit (eg all black with a pop of color in the shoes!), or a true neutral-on-neutral - think camel turtleneck and black pants. It would look great with contrasting colors too! The way I would think about it is to put your outfit together without thinking of the coat. And then just throw the coat on top. The only time it might look funny is if any of your main outfit pieces (blouse or pants) is a similar shade of blue...would try to keep it different. A light baby blue blouse would be great.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Gorgeous coat! I think you would be hard pressed to find something that doesn’t work with it.

Gorgeous coat! I think you would be hard pressed to find something that doesn’t work with it.

It's beautiful and I think would look lovely in the spring with another neutral and a pop of color on your top or accessories/scarf, etc.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thanks guys! That's good to hear that it will coordinate with a lot. I actually love the color. It just doesn't seem quite as "neutral" as camel or khaki, lol. But it is a beautiful piece. Like I said, I've never had such a nice coat!
    Well it's not camel or khaki, but it would look FABULOUS with both camel and khaki, lol. And black, white, jeans....anything!