Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Cancun package deals or other destination--here due to time sensitive-buyng today

Things have been really stressful here and the kids and I really need to get away if at all possible. I was happily shocked to find that there are still some doable package trips for the earlier part of their winter break. We are in Oregon and Cancun seems l like one of the most doable. Also considered Costa Rica, other parts of Mexico, and warm parts of California..and still open to all of that; anything warm and relaxing, really. I have never been on a resort-type vacation, but it is what we need right now (for anyone who followed my threads about considering moving to Costa Rica, this trip would not be about that).

I tried to figure things out without posting on the BBB, but I need any wisdom/experience you all have, as its just not my way to spend so much money so quickly. I am doing all the other research, reading reviews, etc...here is what I would love to know. Will the Cancun beaches/hotel grounds be absolutely swamped with people (I know airports, etc, will)? Any place that wouldn't. Is the Sargassum advisory posted on some websites something that would have a big negative impact? For most of these packages it looks like the hotels are secluded, which we dont prefer, but there are some limited pickings right now (and I dont want to drive). Is all-inclusive the way to go? My ds especially really eats a lot. Any place people can particularly recommend or not as far as both destinations and hotels/resorts? I am mostly looking at Costco and Expedia and finding a decent flight seems to be the trickier part right now.

Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I honestly think Cancun can't be beat for an easy warm weather vacation. DH thinks it is boring and tacky and always wants to go somewhere more interesting, but I took DD there last spring and we had a great trip. The airport is so close to the hotels, the beach is stunning, the water amazing, the tourist industry there just has it down to a science. It might be kind of crowded, but the all inclusives are so big that it shouldn't feel overwhelming. We stayed at the fiesta Americana, and I thought the food was quite good- a good deal better than other all inclusives I have stayed in the past. Pretty sure that hotel is an option through Costco.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn't bother with Southern CA. The ocean is cold and there are few resorts like you would get in Mexico.
    Check out the Cancun forum on Trip Advisor too https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...Peninsula.html

Costco usually has some good package deals! I think and all inclusive is the way to go for what you need- a break. There'll be no "where should we eat" decisions, which is something I loathe when traveling.

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Cancun is easy and reliably warm. All inclusives are easy with family, but if you want a slightly different experience you could consider Isla Mujeres. It's a short ferry ride from Cancun and you can do hotels, rent condos, etc. The island is small enough that all taxi rides are basically $5 or you can rent golf carts. We're renting a house there for Christmas this year with our four kids, our son-in-law, and two grandkids. Options might be limited, but could be worth a look
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We were in Cancun in August. Yes, the seaweed was bad on the eastern side, making the beach unusable and full of red flags, but if you take the $1 bus that comes every 5 minutes up to the very northern end (10 minute ride) there's no seaweed and nice white sands (Playa Caracol). We stayed at the Fiesta Americana Condesa Cancun all inclusive, based on a recommendation on here, and were happy with our choice (we also stayed at the Westin and I wouldn't recommend there!). Most days we spent at the pool and only one day did we take the bus up to the white sands beach. And then DS2 complained that the salt water burned his balls and he refused to go in the water after 5 minutes, so I'm glad we didn't pay the $$$ for the other more expensive Americana that's right on that beach and was out of budget. We also did a private tour to Chitzen Itza and the cenotes and did a day at Xplor Park which we loved.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Peninsula.html

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would do all inclusive in Cancun. I don’t love going away from the hotel there anyway. From the west coast, Cabo San Lucas or Puerto Vallarta would be worth looking into as well. I felt the safest in Puerto Vallarta of anyplace in Mexico (not that I’ve ever felt truly unsafe, but it felt more comfortable and the town is great).
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I think it will be crowded - but you can still have a great time. More quiet areas will be further south, but with less all inclusive options. We split our trip once - Andaz Mayakoba (very quiet, lots of Sargasum, but still so very lovely) and then Hyatt Ziva. It was a shock to my system to go from the Andaz to the Hyatt, but my girls loved the Ziva and the All Inclusive was nice for a few days.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, everyone! Looking at Puerto Vallarta too now, so please post any input! Love the Cabos idea, but dont see anything inclusive. At this point, decent flights are more of the issue, so we will see. Booking soon!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We book trips to Mexico through Funjet or Apple Vacations --- it is a package deal that includes air, ground transportation, resort, fees and we stay at an all-inclusive. I like this approach because it is easy to know what the vacatio will cost when we book it. Funjet and Apple Vacations have direct charter flights daily from my airport to Cancun, which makes airfare less and the flight times make sense for vacation. I don't know if thye have charter flights from Oregon, but they do have packages from Porthland that include flights.

I wonder if it it would be better to look at the western side of Mexico -- like Puerto Vallarta or Los Cabos -- so the flight time is shorter. [4 hours and 25 mins vs 5 hours and 45 mins and time change] -- I've visited Nuevo Vallarta (the resort area in Puerto Vallarta) a few times many years ago and really enjoyed it.

If you decide to go to Cancun/Rivieria Maya - you need to think about what environment you want. Cancun proper is in the norther region. The beaches are public, soft white sand, pretty blue water. The hotels are usually high rises and the resorts are usually large. Cancun is 15 minutes from the airport, so it won't be long after you land that you could be checking into your resort. As you go down south along the coastline, the travel time from the hotel increases. Depending on whether you reserve private or group ground transportation, it can take 45 minutes or longer to get to some resorts..... group transportation may involve a few stops along the way as you drop of other travelors to their hotel. [This can be interesting to see other resort properties, but also tedious because it takes longer to get to your resort]. The resort properties are more spaced out out as you move away from the city -- some resorts are big and some are small, but there is more of a separation from hotel after hotel that you feel in Cancun. The resorts may be several stories high, but they are usually not high rises the further you are from the city. The beaches tend to have more seaweed and are rockier -- i think there is a barrier reef off shore and the coral sand is not as soft.

I've stayed at both sections a few times. I used to like staying in Cancun and taking the bus to go into the city. I don't feel like doing that now -- and my husband probably would not approve because of travel advisories. I also like picking a resort that has the activities and food and price I want and just enjoying my time at the resort. My friends and I are going to Dreams Sapphire, about 15 miles south of Cancun in February -- we've been to several Dreams resorts in the past, although not this one -- we chose it as a happy medium between resort size, distance from airport, beach, and price.

If I were you, I would call Apple and talk to an agent. If the agent is focused only on making a reservation and cost, hang up and call again. Some agents are really good and know the properties and can help you find what you are looking for in your budget and others don't really know anything more than the price list.

I hope you are able to find a good travel option for you and your family!

bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Costco usually has the best prices on AI Mexico trips. We had a private van pick us up through the Costco package.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast