Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Does anyone actually LIKE to attend work holiday parties?

Our family doesn't hate them in theory, but coming near Christmas, during the evening and taking place in the city makes them highly inconvenient. We wish we could nope out of these for DH but unfortunately it isn't "politically" smart to do so. This year said party is coming on perhaps the worst day possible. Not only will I be out of town but so will my dad and my teenage DS, which leaves my mom in charge of the kids on a school night. She has been exhausted for the past year or so with some medical problems. So maybe instead we'll have to hire a babysitter for the first time since COVID. I have a hard time trusting anyone so that's going to be one more stressful thing on our plate!

Anyone else a scrooge about holiday work parties?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dh has some good friends at work so happy to go. But, some of those same friends like them less. The compromise is to make an appearance at the party then take off to a smaller dinner with the closer friends. Works well!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Does anyone actually LIKE to attend work holiday parties?

There is no one from your church who can watch the kids? Could your DD go to a friends house for a bit?

So your DS2 will be out of town?

I would be okay with your DS3 being home alone for a little bit as long as he knows to call your mom and your Dh if something happens.

I myself enjoy holiday parties….at least I did when I was in the office. We are on year 3 of virtual holiday work gatherings which are okay tbh (I usually opt for the trivia offerings), but I would love to attend one in person again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-29-2022 at 06:51 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I dislike having to make small talk. I got dragged to DHs party the year before Covid. They haven’t resumed yet. Hoping he’ll go solo if there’s one this year.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, DS2, my dad and I are going to pick up DS1 from school. DS3 is only 11 and not responsible and of course DD and DS3 fight. They go to bed at like 8 so they'd be "easy" to watch as soon as they're down but my poor mom is so tired these days! It might be easier to have them go to her house. She volunteers with DS3's age youth group at our church and of course the big activity is the same night, so she'll be extra tired. Yikes. Not sure what to do! I think it would be really bad for DH to miss this party. He was recently promoted and there's a lot going on in their little group!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Why can’t dh go solo? Plenty of people don’t have a significant other so it’s not crazy to be there solo. Childcare issues are totally valid for skipping. Dh should go though.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Yes, DS2, my dad and I are going to pick up DS1 from school. DS3 is only 11 and not responsible and of course DD and DS3 fight. They go to bed at like 8 so they'd be "easy" to watch as soon as they're down but my poor mom is so tired these days! It might be easier to have them go to her house. She volunteers with DS3's age youth group at our church and of course the big activity is the same night, so she'll be extra tired. Yikes. Not sure what to do! I think it would be really bad for DH to miss this party. He was recently promoted and there's a lot going on in their little group!
    If she okay with that then I would do that. Otherwise talk to someone in your church and see if they can watch your kids for you. I am sure there is someone available who could do it. I agree that your DH should go to the company Christmas party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You're not alone feeling like a Scrooge! I'm not actually against holiday parties or work parties at all, but I do often feel like work ones feel non-optional at a time of the year that is brimming with crazy and busy already, and that makes me feel negative toward them. We've definitely had that cascading "everything piling up at once" and it's so frustrating!

I know this is bitching post, so stop reading now if desired! but -- it's fine to hire a babysitter. Your kids will be fine. They might fight, they might stay up late, they might drive the sitter crazy and they might leave a mess, but ultimately as long as they're safe, it's just one night and safe is good enough. Definitely a good time to call on a neighbor teen/friend of DS2's/responsible kid from church, etc. Your mom could always be on backup call if the sitter needs an assist, but that would let her rest more. (of course, I realize this entails FINDING and scheduling a babysitter, which is my own personal agony, so I feel your pain deeply here!)
    Lizi

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

NOPE. I had to laugh when I read the title of this post... My mind went right to the year that DH and I were newly engaged and happened to work for the same company (different floors, different divisions, we had met elsewhere). We spent the day skiing and then had to go to this work party; neither of us wanted to get dressed up and make small talk . We went and essentially outed ourselves as a couple. Work holiday parties are a nice gesture, but ONE MORE THING to do in an already crazy time of year.

As for the kids, do what feels right to you. Could you have grandma come over and spend the night, while still hiring a babysitter or mother's helper to play with the kids? Then you know you have "adult coverage", but also a fun teen to entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Why can’t dh go solo? Plenty of people don’t have a significant other so it’s not crazy to be there solo. Childcare issues are totally valid for skipping. Dh should go though.

I agree with this. I’ve been married 17 years and only went with DH in our early years but totally stopped going as his plus one when the kids arrived. He usually went with his smaller group of long term coworkers he doesn’t mind spending 2-3 hours of his time with.

Too much going on. Also my cavant is that there’s a lot of flu/RSV illnesses going around in my kids school, so it makes it extra hard to find reliable and healthy babysitters. I’d skip using that excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast