Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by jenmcadams View Post
    I own a small consulting firm (approx 80 people) and in general, people say they love our annual Holiday Party (and they never seem to leave at the end ), but we decided to move it to January this year due to schedule issues and I've already heard from several people how glad they are that it's not in December. We 100% don't expect everyone to come and our staff skews young, so I think they appreciate the chance to socialize, drink/eat, and see people (we've been fully flexible and hybrid since Covid and people tend to like to get together IRL since so many of them work from home)
    I’m seeing this happening more, and I think it’s such a great idea!! Our org is gonna vote on this proposal and move our “holiday” gathering to New year kick off lunch with rest of afternoon off, it’s so much easier. Nov/December is just 6 long weeks of attending one thing to another thing constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I’m seeing this happening more, and I think it’s such a great idea!! Our org is gonna vote on this proposal and move our “holiday” gathering to New year kick off lunch with rest of afternoon off, it’s so much easier. Nov/December is just 6 long weeks of attending one thing to another thing constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    We do January a lot, so much easier to find a venue, etc. Last couple years it has been back to December for whatever reason. I would often have a conflict when the kids were little because there were a lot of annual kid things in Dec/Jan.

I always dread going, but it ends up being fine. Ours isn't a big political deal, no one cares who goes or who doesn't.

I prefer the casual open area "chat with whomever ones" vs. the ones with games and seating charts and various planned activities or entertainment. Luckily we seem to have gone the casual route the last many years.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

OP another reason to go is for bonding with the team. You said it a new position for DH so this may help socializing with the team. The industry has ageism and I do think it helps if you’re part of non-work events. DH went the other night to a show to support a colleague’s wife. Several work people went, they all had dinner before etc.

DH’s work has become more family family friendly as more people have kids - the Christmas trip to Vegas isn’t always possible for families, so now there’s a mid-year glamping weekend at Yosemite with preference given to families

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'd skip it this year. Have DH tell his boss that this year he just can't come. It's one night of people getting sloshed- I've yet to attend a Christmas party that was really a successful networking occasion.

Yes, I'm a work Christmas-party scrooge. A close second to that is my hate of School Christmas concerts. It is painful for me to sit there with a fake smile pretending to enjoy kids singing (particularly when I know my own kids would commit a crime not to have to attend themselves). The first 15 minutes are fine. The kids are cute and the music is nice. But they always drag on soooooo longggg. We would all rather be somewhere else.

This year, DS2 has convinced DH to take him with to pick up ds1 from college and spend a night in his dorm and follow him to classes. I don't think he's really serious about attending Michigan Tech (he's a junior and we've been doing college tours). But he knew if he went with DH to pick up DS1, his older brother, he'd get out of the school Christmas concert. I'm pretty sure that is the only reason he wants to go (I think he's decided on Milwaukee School of Engineering. He loved the tour).
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hope you are able to find a sitter! And congrats to your DH on his promotion.

My DH makes me laugh when it comes to work parties- over the years, I've learned that what he cares most about is the food. Doesn't matter where the party is held or if there are activities. All he talks about afterwards is the food. Good, plentiful food= he's happy he attended.

The holiday parties that my last employer hosted were pretty fun. They rented out a large ballroom in town and the whole family was invited. Kids under a certain age received a gift from Santa. (His elves survey parents beforehand for ideas under a certain price point.). It wasn't super inclusive as it was definitely a "Christmas" party. But it was nice to get dressed up, eat decent food and dance a little. That said, plenty of people skipped. It was held during the week to save on costs, so definitely not convenient for a lot of folks.

My current company hosts a party in the late afternoon for employees only. I'm on the committee that helps plan it, so I'm usually running around doing something. It's fun, but definitely feels a little more work-like.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OP, were you able to work things out?

Add me to the list of people who hates the kind of work holiday parties where attendance is "politically wise". I do kind of like having an excuse to get dressed up and wear makeup but these events are just too long to be something I want to go to. If they were limited to 2 hours tops (at least half of which would involve a meal), then yeah that'd be so much better hahaha!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This had some hilarious Christmas party stories. https://www.askamanager.org/2022/12/...stories-4.html
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just to update...DH had a fine enough time. We had a bit of rollercoaster with childcare. First my littlest sister mentioned she'd be in town and could help BUT then she caught COVID on her way traveling through the US, so she's still actually isolating! Then we got a bit of good luck when DH discovered they changed the party hours to 2-4 in the afternoon versus late at night like prior years. And thank goodness for that! DH arrived at home at 5:15 and my mom was BEYOND done with the kids. Anyway, the party was "fine", my mom lasted the requisite 3 or so hours watching the kids, everyone is alive but what a ride, lol! And now DS1 is home which is better than I even imagined!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3