Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default iPad for notetaking in college

We are not an Apple family, but DS1 would like an ipad for notetaking. He looked into Samsung and Remarkable and has a Rocketbook, but thinks the iPad is what he wants. We think the iPad Air with the series 2 pencil. But I'd love any thoughts about what to buy and why. He has a laptop that he'll do regular school work on. He is really just looking for notes with drawings.
    Kris

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dd1 does a lot of note taking on the iPad. They have fairly new iPads at her school. We have a generic Apple Pencil that works well and was $20 on Amazon. As long as it has Palm rejection it should work. We have never had an Apple Pencil so I have no idea if they are really worth it but for the last 3 years dd1 has been happy with the JamJake pen that is reviewed in this article: https://www.creativebloq.com/buying-...l-alternatives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-25-2023 at 02:58 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My friend’s daughter, same entry year as your son, ended up buying an iPad and apple pen about three weeks into the school year. She’s also a stem major and does not have a MacBook.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Dd1 does a lot of note taking on the iPad. They have fairly new iPads at her school. We have a generic Apple Pencil that works well and was $20 on Amazon. As long as it has Palm rejection it should work. We have never had an Apple Pencil so I have no idea if they are really worth it but for the last 3 years dd1 has been happy with the JamJake pen that is reviewed in this article: https://www.creativebloq.com/buying-...l-alternatives

Thanks for that link. I had not even considered a non-Apple brand. I don't know why, but it just never crossed my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    My friend’s daughter, same entry year as your son, ended up buying an iPad and apple pen about three weeks into the school year. She’s also a stem major and does not have a MacBook.

Do you know if she's happy with the combo? Any chance you know what she bought?
    Kris

My husband went back to school last year and he was using his iPad mini and an Apple Pencil for note taking. He liked it and it worked well, but we just upgraded him to a regular sized iPad with a keyboard. We have had both Apple and generic Apple pencils, and DH tells me the Apple one is much better, but having not used it personally I don’t have any idea what the actual differences are. He does also have a non-Apple laptop and a desktop computer that he uses at home, but doesn’t take the laptop to class.

A growing number of my students are also using an iPad (with or without keyboard) and Apple Pencil for note taking too, though the majority still bring laptops to class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I should’ve mentioned that Dd1 has a keyboard attached to her school iPad as the cover as well. She is on her second one since freshman year. This is the first one she had (bought from Target) and it worked well for the two full school years and a few months that she had it (some of the key pads had fallen off) and she used it a ton so while she ended up a this one from Amazon (one I bought for our home iPad to take to a conference when I didn’t want to take the laptop) and it seems to work well. The covers do add some heft to the ipad but it is nice that everything is in one place.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Kris, she loves it! She got one of the bigger iPads, def not a mini.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD has one and uses it for notes in college. She loves it. She does have an iphone and MacBook pro as well, so they all work together.

I have an iPad that I use for work, so many good things about it. I do a lot of reviewing of Adobe files with it and editing on them. It shares the cloud with my Dell PC through work, so I imagine you could make them all connect. I don't know how to connect it up from scratch, but he's smart and a NextGen kid, he will figure it out!

He's thinking either the iPad 10th generation or a Samsung S7 FE. Hoping to look at them in the next couple days.
    Kris

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What Apps are the kids using to take notes on their iPads?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast