Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just thought of another potential option. If we overshoot Paris while coming from Southern Germany and use a TGV to connect to the Loire FIRST we regain some of time in the Paris region.

So it would look like:

Day 0: Arrive in the Loire

Day 1: Full day in the Loire Valley. Stay there overnight (Or I suppose we could ride a short TGV into the city...)

Day 2: Full day in Paris.

Day 3: Full day in Paris (or day trip to Versailles, Chartres...)

Day 4: Full day in Paris

Day 5: TGV ride to Avignon (only 3 hours) This means we could choose to do more in Paris OR more in Provence? Stay in Provence.

Day 6: Full day in Provence. Stay in Provence.

Day 7: Ride train to Italian border and backtrack to Nice visiting Menton and various small villages on the way back (Eze, St Jean Cap Ferrat, Monaco, Villefrance sur Mer, etc.)

Day 8: Full day in Nice/Cote d'Azur

What do you think? The only downside is that it adds a 2 hour ride via TGV to that "Day 0" but that may not be an issue? We're coming from Southern Germany/Switzerland so we weren't sure how much time we wanted to spend there! We'll be hosted by DH's parents who want to drive us around and we also get to stay with them. We might do one overnight in a Swiss mountain valley that we're pretty excited about. In other words, this change may steal some of our time from Switzerland/Germany but only 2 hours. On the plus side it eliminates an 8 hour drive from the Loire to Provence and instead getting to Provence will be a 8 hour TGV train.

I'm not sure if we'll need to get a car or not for this trip if we go with this plan. I had thought it might be a good idea in the Loire Valley and in Provence. In that way, the original plan sort of makes sense because we could use the same car. If we go with the new plan, would we still need a car in the Loire Valley? Would we still in Provence? We definitely want to connect to some of the smaller areas there but I'm wondering if "Uber" or taxis could be used with some effect or if that's just a major hassle! Any thoughts on car rental strategies appreciated!

TIA!

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't know your dates in April, but April 2 is the Paris Marathon, so you won't want to be there that weekend and have to deal with the crowds, road closures, etc. I would skip/shorten Versailles - I thought it was not very interesting. I spent a summer in the Loire Valley in Vouvray and would definitely NOT skip that portion of your trip.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DO NOT give up a day in Paris! It's the absolute best part of your itinerary. I would skip Versailles - I'm not a fan. Always thought it was overkill and a waste of a side trip!

for Sandy Hook

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have never been to Paris or France but I like the idea of cutting out an 8 hour drive and using the train instead. That seems much more enjoyable than driving 8 hours (especially in a country I am not familiar with).

If you start your time in France are you flying from Germany to Paris? Sorry if I missed that explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I have never been to Paris or France but I like the idea of cutting out an 8 hour drive and using the train instead. That seems much more enjoyable than driving 8 hours (especially in a country I am not familiar with).

If you start your time in France are you flying from Germany to Paris? Sorry if I missed that explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for answering Annie! I'm flying into Zurich (nearest airport to my in-laws!) and we're spending a few days in Switzerland and Southern Germany. We'll have lodging and transportation while we're with them.

Most of the trip we'll be in France. I think I agree with you that the newer plan gives me more time at various destinations and makes better use of travel time! I have heard driving in France is easy. Not congested, traffic abiding and they drive on the correct side of the road, lol! But we do plan on renting a car at least for the Provence portion of the trip so I can report later as to how easy/hard it will be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2