Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default My Daughter's earring is stuck! Any tips?

Hello,
    My Daughter got her ears pierced in March. She followed all of the recommendations of using saline and waited an appropriate amount of time to take them out. They have been fine until today. She tried to take them out after keeping them in for a few weeks and one won't come out. It turns but just won't pull out. I can't figure out what's wrong or how to remove it without freaking her (or myself) out. Any suggestions? TIA

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

One of those little ball or stud ones? Mine got stuck in my ear when I had them newly pierced as a teen. I tried to poke it out myself and fainted. I had to go to the Dr.. I have blocked most of it out... I would recommend calling your Dr.

eta- ahh... you just mean that it's stuck, maybe due do bodily fluids kinda anchoring? Not like mine which was literally stuck inside my ear lobe. I would try lots and lots of warm, moist compresses and gentle spinning. Then find a really great piercing salon (like where you could also get a tattoo kind of place). My ds1 was having trouble with a nose piercing he got on his study abroad. We went to a local shop when he got home. Got him fixed right up and developed a much better care strategy than he had been given abroad.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 12-02-2022 at 02:11 PM.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is it that the earring is stuck in her ear or just the mechanics of the earring aren’t working?

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm trying to understand -- this is a stud earring, right? So the back is removed, and when you go to pull the post out, what happens? Does the earlobe get pulled w/o the earring coming out of the hole?

I'd start by lots of soaking with the saline spray....maybe even put saline in a little cup and "soak" it? My only guess is that somehow bodily fluids have kind of dried up around the post somewhere, and need to be loosened.

If that doesn't work, I'd try to go back to where you got them pierced (if it was a true piercing place, vs. a piercing gun type place) or find a true piercing place. The piercer who did my daughter's ears also helps with weird situations like this one -- they've probably dealt with something similar before!
    Lizi

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If it's just a build of gunk that has hardened and preventing the earring from coming out, I'd think it needs to be softened. Like the other moms said, I'd soak it. Maybe now would be a good time to go swimming? Enough time spent underwater and I'd think the earring would loosen up. How about a bath? Especially soak in the water for quite a while and get those ears good and wet. After you fiddle with it, though, make sure you use some rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide (actually I think my daughter used a bleach mix provided by the earring piercing place. Supposedly rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide aren't good for new sutures or wounds).

ETA: with clean fingers you could just have her play with it. If she tugs at it enough, eventually I'd think she can pull it loose without pain. Or at least minimal pain.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 12-02-2022 at 03:50 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default My Daughter's earring is stuck! Any tips?

I don’t have any suggestions, but we have been through something similar years ago. DD was 7 at the time, and she had these gold earrings in for a dance and left them on. Well one day we noticed her skin had grown over the screw backing thing it was not even visible. I freaked out when I noticed and our ped at the time told us we need to see an ENT which we did and he took it out with a local anesthetic to numb the area. No way could I have done that at home by myself without her screaming in pain.
    That said, without actually seeing how your DDs are stuck it’s hard to tell. Do you think using some lubricant like coconut oil would help?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Interesting that others suggested warm things; I was thinking to ice it. If there is gunky fluid in there, ice might harden it so that it is not sticky. But no BTDT, just speculating.

I can't wear earrings anymore; it just hurts too much. I can wear them for a few hours, tops.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Was it done with a piercing gun? My DIL is a PA in an ER and had to cut the stud on earrings in 2 different cases within 3 months of starting her job She is very anti piercing guns
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

This one was done at a tattoo parlor and we followed their instructions. This is not the stud but a different earring she is wearing. I don't think its an issue with the earring itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    One of those little ball or stud ones? Mine got stuck in my ear when I had them newly pierced as a teen. I tried to poke it out myself and fainted. I had to go to the Dr.. I have blocked most of it out... I would recommend calling your Dr.

eta- ahh... you just mean that it's stuck, maybe due do bodily fluids kinda anchoring? Not like mine which was literally stuck inside my ear lobe. I would try lots and lots of warm, moist compresses and gentle spinning. Then find a really great piercing salon (like where you could also get a tattoo kind of place). My ds1 was having trouble with a nose piercing he got on his study abroad. We went to a local shop when he got home. Got him fixed right up and developed a much better care strategy than he had been given abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    I'm trying to understand -- this is a stud earring, right? So the back is removed, and when you go to pull the post out, what happens? Does the earlobe get pulled w/o the earring coming out of the hole?

I'd start by lots of soaking with the saline spray....maybe even put saline in a little cup and "soak" it? My only guess is that somehow bodily fluids have kind of dried up around the post somewhere, and need to be loosened.

If that doesn't work, I'd try to go back to where you got them pierced (if it was a true piercing place, vs. a piercing gun type place) or find a true piercing place. The piercer who did my daughter's ears also helps with weird situations like this one -- they've probably dealt with something similar before!
    Yes- as you described. I'm hoping I can find a way to get it out. She will be so scared if we have to go back!