Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Update in Original Post -BTDT Breast Cancer Edition

Just a quick update -

I had my double mastectomy on Jan 4th. It was successful and relatively uneventful, but a lot more painful than I expected. I am still recovering and sleeping in a recliner, but I'm slowly but surely healing. My final pathology report came back with no surprises - two spots of cancer on the left and none (but lots of cysts) on the right and most importantly, no spread to the lymph nodes, so I believe the stage/grade are still at 1/1a.
    Now the focus is on healing. Even with plastic surgery involved, the wounds are brutal at the moment. Not going to lie, seeing those incisions was tougher than I expected, mainly because they look so much worse than I expected, but both my follow-up appointments yesterday said everything looked "normal" for this stage of recovery/reconstruction. I'm a work in progress for the next 3-6 months.
    I still have one major hurdle to jump - an Oncotype genomic test that will determine whether I would receive any benefit from chemo to ward off recurrence. Initially, it looked like only endocrine therapy (Tamoxifen or something similar) would be needed, but now this test is looming and we wait to see. Hopefully, that will come back in about 2 weeks.
    Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement and support as well as the prayers - they have been much appreciated!
    ************************************************** ********************************************

It's been a while since I've posted anything - life and two active teenagers have kept me very busy, but not busy enough to neglect my yearly mammogram. Last November, I had my mammogram and it came back with "microcalcifications" on the left side and I had to go back in for a second look. Everything was deemed to be ok, but there was a note at the bottom of the patient letter with my results that stated that I had dense breast tissue and that further screening with an MRI or ultrasound might be useful. I've seen that statement before, but because the microcalcifications were new, it stood out to me and so I mentioned that I was interested in having a screening MRI done to my PCP. He assumed I meant in place of the mammogram the following year, and I didn't really argue because I'd just had two mammograms three weeks apart with the all-clear. So I waited until this fall and asked about the MRI screening. The doctor ordered it and the breast center called to schedule me a month before I was due for my screening. A little tip - apparently if you qualify for additional screening, you do not have to wait the full year in between - I wish I had known this and I hope this helps someone!

Anyhow, long story a bit shorter, I had the MRI and it came back with suspicious findings which then had to be checked and biopsied with ultrasound guidance. That came back with two small spots of cancer (invasive ductal carcinoma) on the left and a still undetermined spot on the right. So off to the surgeon oncologist I went the very next day after my biopsy results (which happened to come in just a couple of hours before my daughter's senior picture session!) IDC stage 1, grade 1 ER+, PR+ Her2-

I had another MRI with biopsies on both sides (not a fun process at all) and it appears that we caught the cancer early and it is not super aggressive, but given the strong family history (mom and grandmom) of breast cancer and dense breasts, I had a much higher risk of breast cancer so I have opted for a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction, which will be done on Jan 4. I don't think I will need chemo or radiation, but will likely have to be on Tamoxifen or some other type of anti-hormonal treatment for 5-10 years.

I say all this for a couple of reasons:
    1. I know there are others here who have dealt with breast cancer/mastectomy before. I am open to any and all tips you might have.
    2. I also hope that my story will encourage/remind others to get their annual mammogram and if you have higher risk factors (family history, genetic mutations, dense breasts) - don't hesitate to push for all your testing/screening options. Don't ignore any gut feeling that something isn't right. Push for answers. My cancer still does not show on a mammogram. The MRI most definitely caught this early enough that I have an excellent prognosis. The only reason we caught it early was my insistence that I have additional screening. My doctor said he had never ordered an MRI screening for breasts before. I was his test patient. I hope he learns from my experience as well.

Christina
    Last edited by Indianamom2; 01-14-2023 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Update
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks for sharing — i need to go get a mammogram (fellow dense breast tissue, periodic MRIs) I will push for a follow up.

Sending you loads of good wishes and hugs.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I am so sorry you are going through this, but glad you pushed for the screening so it was caught early. I am sending you all the best wishes for your surgery and recovery.

I had my first mammogram this year and also got the dense breast tissue notification. I had a small palpable lump so my doctor ordered an ultrasound (it revealed a couple of cysts but nothing they were concerned about, though the tech said they still couldn’t see everything in very dense breasts). They didn’t mention MRI. Did your doctor think MRI was better? I am wondering if I should ask for that next time.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I’ll ask about a MRI. I have dense breast tissue as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ty for sharing your story. I wish you a quick recovery and easy reconstruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm sorry you are going through this but thank goodness you caught it early. My adoptive mom and her mother and several of her sisters have had breast cancer. For that reason i take it very serious (although there is no hereditary risks for me, according to my birth mother). Catching it early is definitely the way to go.

About 3 weeks ago I found a lump doing a self-breast exam. My PCP felt it as well and ordered me a mammogram and ultrasound. Apparently i do NOT have dense breast tissue and the radiologist himself gave me the ultrasound. We couldn't find it on the ultrasound and he said he couldn't see any change comparing this mammogram to my last one in March. Maybe I should have asked for the MRI? Except I can no longer feel the lump.... I never knew an MRI was an option. I'll have to give this some more thought. Thank you again for stopping by to tell us what you are going though. P and Pt to you.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh hugs to you. Thank you for letting us know your story! Thank you for the reminder to make sure to get these things scheduled and to pressing on for answers. I'm in the dense camp, the family history camp, and calcifications (but in my abdomen!!!??) so maybe asking for an MRI is the way to go for me also.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you so much for sharing. I have a friend going through this right now. You are making me think I need to follow up with her and find out when her MRI is. I hope all goes well with your treatment!!!!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am sorry to hear you’re going through this. So glad you found it early. P & PTs for you. Thank you for reminding us to advocate for ourselves. We are so busy advocating for others we sometimes forget to advocate for ourselves.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you for letting us know. I am sorry you are going through this, but so glad you got the additional screening and I love the words “excellent prognosis “! It is a good reminder of how important it is to advocate for ourselves.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast