acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Therapist, career counselor or life coach??

I have been thinking about and trying to make a career shift for multiple years with little progress. Some of the slow down came from having a surprise 3rd baby and then again with Covid, but I think a lot of it is my indecisiveness, self-doubt and anxiety about change/new things, plus not having a clear path forward. I have done a lot of research, taken some small steps and applied to some new positions (without much luck). But overall I kind of feel like I have been stuck in career/personal limbo for years, as I don't take consistent action toward my goals. Family life is busy and it always seems like it isn't a good time to make a change but I have come to the realization that it will probably always feel that way so I need to prioritize this and take action if I really want it!

I feel like talking through my goals with someone and having someone that could help me be more accountable would be helpful. But what kind of professional would be best suited to help me - career counselor, therapist, or life coach?

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree it could be helpful to talk with someone! But I don't think the title actually matters. I'd just look for someone that seems like you'd connect well with, and who focuses on what you're trying to work on. If you're hoping to use insurance benefits, some of the more restrictive will want someone with a certification/license of some sort, so start with those requirements if that's important.
    Lizi

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Some companies are starting to add coaching services to their EAPs. So you might want to see if its offered there. I think a coach could be helpful in sorting through the options. If you want more advice on the specific careers you are looking at you might need someone more specialized.

As a therapist, I would say based on what you shared, I'd recommend an experienced career counselor!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Check whether your work EAP offers life coach/career coach. My employer do, and I utilized their career coach in addition my own therapist.

It’s been quite helpful for me. So I think it’s just having someone you connect well and talk your ideas, goals, and sounding board. I know from this result in prioritizing myself, like you family life is busy, and in middle of divorce, I needed to make a career change to get the best salary and benefits for myself. Go for it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14