Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Sugar Glue for Gingerbread Houses

This is my second year using sugar glue for constructing gingerbread houses and I LOVE the method. It's fast and it dries immediately, so you don't have to plan ahead or brace pieces while the frosting dries. I felt the need to share the joy:

Use melted sugar to put together the houses (I do pop-tart or graham cracker ones, but it works just as well as real cookie). Simply pour some sugar in a pan and heat until it turns a dark amber color and is liquid. To put pieces together, dip a piece into the melted sugar and immediately put on the next piece. Hold in place for 20-30 seconds and you're good to go. Repeat with remaining pieces!

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...stay-together/

Tip: you can shake the pan a bit, but don't constantly stir the melting sugar. It will cause it to crystalize and won't work!
    Lizi

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We buy the pre built ones, game changer.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    We buy the pre built ones, game changer.
    I believe it! Somehow I always end up agreeing to host a big group decorating thing, so I'm always going for the cheap DYI option!
    Lizi

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    I believe it! Somehow I always end up agreeing to host a big group decorating thing, so I'm always going for the cheap DYI option!
    I’m hosting a group decorating next weekend! Please share any tips / tricks and supply ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We've done the little graham cracker houses many years. I just hot glue them together including to the plate.

Late for this year, but when my kids trick-or-treated I would always raid their bags for all the small candy - skittles, M&M, smarties - and put in the freezer to use for gingerbread houses.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A friend bought me this 4 years ago when it was a fraction of this price. But it's really good quality and easy to make a cookie that breaks into the pieces to form a mini gingerbread house. The year we did gingerbread houses, each girl got 2 cookie "kits" - many of the girls ate one of the cookies and turned the other into a house.

The ideas you ladies have here are fantastic. I love the sugar glue recipe. Thank you!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Question:
    How long does the sugar stay molten? Can you microwave it to heat it back up if it hardens?
    DS 2/09

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I always hot glued them together. Sugar glue sounds interesting though.

My tip is for the icing bags, use the hinge chip clips to keep them closed. Kids can keep moving them down as needed, but it keeps the frosting from coming out the top of the bag.
    Kris

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The pre-built ones aren't expensive, and get some extra candy, skittles, gum drops, mini candy canes, put all the candy in little bowls or mini cups (like shot glasses).

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    A friend bought me this 4 years ago when it was a fraction of this price. But it's really good quality and easy to make a cookie that breaks into the pieces to form a mini gingerbread house. The year we did gingerbread houses, each girl got 2 cookie "kits" - many of the girls ate one of the cookies and turned the other into a house.

The ideas you ladies have here are fantastic. I love the sugar glue recipe. Thank you!
    Link?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast