Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Mom's of hockey players

So I know a few of us on here have kids who play travel hockey (a few years ago smilequeen and I were at the same rink in St. Louis and met in person which was fun). For those in the Chicago or Midwest, I was thinking it would be fun to see if our kids ever played each other. We play out of PEORIA, but most of our games are in the Chicago area and my son is 16u. Would love to connect with some BBB moms if we are ever playing in your area. PM me if you want. Also, if you ever play Joliet, their refs are the worst lol!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    So I know a few of us on here have kids who play travel hockey (a few years ago smilequeen and I were at the same rink in St. Louis and met in person which was fun). For those in the Chicago or Midwest, I was thinking it would be fun to see if our kids ever played each other. We play out of PEORIA, but most of our games are in the Chicago area and my son is 16u. Would love to connect with some BBB moms if we are ever playing in your area. PM me if you want. Also, if you ever play Joliet, their refs are the worst lol!

I have a current HS senior (2005 birthyear) who plays in the Chicago area. We used to play Peoria (you guys almost always came up here and played us twice over a weekend) back before he switched from our local hockey club (Winnetka) to high school hockey (New Trier). He'd be U18 now so they probably never met head to head. DS2 played Mite and Squirt travel and he's a 2007 so maybe they matched up before he hung up his skates for the soccer goal.

ETA: It's hitting me now that our time in the hockey stands is coming rapidly to an end. This past Thanksgiving was our last time spending the holiday weekend in a local tournament -12 years in a row! We've already decided we are heading to the Michigan-OSU game next year when we are free to leave town! Freedom to travel notwithstanding, I'll miss hockey. It has been a wonderful sport for my two boys.
    Last edited by marinkitty; 12-04-2022 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    I have a current HS senior (2005 birthyear) who plays in the Chicago area. We used to play Peoria (you guys almost always came up here and played us twice over a weekend) back before he switched from our local hockey club (Winnetka) to high school hockey (New Trier). He'd be U18 now so they probably never met head to head. DS2 played Mite and Squirt travel and he's a 2007 so maybe they matched up before he hung up his skates for the soccer goal.

ETA: It's hitting me now that our time in the hockey stands is coming rapidly to an end. This past Thanksgiving was our last time spending the holiday weekend in a local tournament -12 years in a row! We've already decided we are heading to the Michigan-OSU game next year when we are free to leave town! Freedom to travel notwithstanding, I'll miss hockey. It has been a wonderful sport for my two boys.
    OMG, I think maybe we did play you guys, a few years ago (pre COVID) DS's 06 team was placed in Bantam Elite, even though all the other teams in Elite were 05 teams, NIHL in their infinite wisdom thought that because our kids did well in the seeding round (we had some easy games) they would add us to the Elite division, not only were we 2006 kids, but almost half were 2007's. Needless to say that was a rough season, we did play Winnetka on a Sunday morning at 8:30, I remember it well, left at 5am from Bloomington where we live, drove to Winnetka, got killed something like 13-1, and the kids on Winnetka were so good, and so HUGE compared to our little guys. The parents in the lobby were surprised that NIHL would even put in in Elite. After the game we went and checked out the Home Alone House and DS wanted to see the lake, he loves throwing rocks into a lake.

I too am savoring each last trip up to Chicago (Skokie next week) and for our final tournament we have decided to make the kids door signs with their mini mite pictures on them.

DD is an 03, she began at age 14, so late, especially as a goalie, but she is now playing on the women's club team at U of Illinois, and was named captain this year as well as being team President. She swam in high school and played lacrosse, and she's also on the club lax team (and is enjoying the social "lax" house on campus, it's like a frat house for all the lax players).

It's been a wild ride, with way too many miles on the road (especially the years where the Chicago teams could "Peoria Rule" us and make us play our home games up there), but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Mom's of hockey players

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post

Is your son going to Michigan? Amazing!

You most certainly know my friends, whose kid plays for NT!

M2b, won’t you have your son’s senior year hockey season?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by Kindra178; 12-04-2022 at 10:27 PM.

Yes, he will be a senior for high school hockey, but the games are pretty much local/within an hour of home and no tournaments and it's a group of kids from all over the county (the high schools down here don't have their own teams like at NT, and other Chicago schools) so it's not the same, his travel team is kids he's played with for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    OMG, I think maybe we did play you guys, a few years ago (pre COVID) DS's 06 team was placed in Bantam Elite, even though all the other teams in Elite were 05 teams, NIHL in their infinite wisdom thought that because our kids did well in the seeding round (we had some easy games) they would add us to the Elite division, not only were we 2006 kids, but almost half were 2007's. Needless to say that was a rough season, we did play Winnetka on a Sunday morning at 8:30, I remember it well, left at 5am from Bloomington where we live, drove to Winnetka, got killed something like 13-1, and the kids on Winnetka were so good, and so HUGE compared to our little guys. The parents in the lobby were surprised that NIHL would even put in in Elite. After the game we went and checked out the Home Alone House and DS wanted to see the lake, he loves throwing rocks into a lake.

I too am savoring each last trip up to Chicago (Skokie next week) and for our final tournament we have decided to make the kids door signs with their mini mite pictures on them.

DD is an 03, she began at age 14, so late, especially as a goalie, but she is now playing on the women's club team at U of Illinois, and was named captain this year as well as being team President. She swam in high school and played lacrosse, and she's also on the club lax team (and is enjoying the social "lax" house on campus, it's like a frat house for all the lax players).

It's been a wild ride, with way too many miles on the road (especially the years where the Chicago teams could "Peoria Rule" us and make us play our home games up there), but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    OMG! I do remember that game. And by the way I live four houses away from the Home Alone House. So not only did our boys play but you were on my street! Small world.

We have also played in Bloomington twice - Bantam years, I think. I remember the long drive. I didn't even know that was essentially Peoria (although I've lived in Chicago over 20 years, I'm a Michigan girl to begin with and we almost always head north, not south so downstate is still a mystery to me). But I think the Peoria rule only went through Pee Wee?

New Trier hockey does a book every year that includes senior pages for all the graduating seniors. Finding the pics for DS's page a couple of months ago was such a walk down memory lane. I had almost forgotten how tiny they were as mites.

Glad to hear your DD is still playing. Every school DS1 applied to has hockey in some form - club or IM. I hope he stays with it recreationally. He loves to play and it's been such a big part of his life, but he isn't good enough to play in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Is your son going to Michigan? Amazing!

You most certainly know my friends, whose kid plays for NT!

M2b, won’t you have your son’s senior year hockey season?

LOL! Almost certainly not headed to Michigan, as much as we might like that. I went there for undergrad and DH and I both went to law school there so we are just going to go to the game next year because our good friend's daughter is there (freshman) and they have come to stay with us over Thanksgiving weekend the past 8 or 9 years, but the Game is at home next year so we will go stay with them (they live near Ann Arbor) and all go together.

DS1 has applied to Michigan but only to placate me - it is literally his 11th choice out of the 11 schools he's applying to and after our tour last spring we hit the M Den for merch (for me and also a friend's daughter who had just accepted her spot there) and I asked DS if he wanted anything and he plopped himself on a bench and said "I already have more than enough Michigan stuff, mom." I have three kids, none of whom have any interest in being a Wolverine. DD didn't even apply there as she wanted a SLAC. DS2 is only a freshman but I suspect he'll be headed elsewhere as he wants to play college soccer and most likely that means D3.

I'm sure we do know your friends - at least the name - NT hockey has five teams so it's a huge club but at this point we know most everyone.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just laughed out loud with “I have more than enough MI stuff…”

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I actually meant to PM you last month. We were in Holland MI and the game before one of DS3 games was Peoria vs Bloomington HS age. I wondered if you were there. My oldest (04) played in Chicago a lot either for tournaments or when he was doing Central States. I know we played Winnetka a few times. He cut back to just varsity and he’s a senior. He fell in love with lacrosse more but he’s looking at schools that have club and IM hockey too. He has no interest in NCAA sports. My 07 only played through Bantams, he’s a fencer now, more his style. Little guy (PeeWee) still loves it but my oldest has convinced him to try lacrosse when he goes to his school next year in 7th. So we will see…
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    I actually meant to PM you last month. We were in Holland MI and the game before one of DS3 games was Peoria vs Bloomington HS age. I wondered if you were there. My oldest (04) played in Chicago a lot either for tournaments or when he was doing Central States. I know we played Winnetka a few times. He cut back to just varsity and he’s a senior. He fell in love with lacrosse more but he’s looking at schools that have club and IM hockey too. He has no interest in NCAA sports. My 07 only played through Bantams, he’s a fencer now, more his style. Little guy (PeeWee) still loves it but my oldest has convinced him to try lacrosse when he goes to his school next year in 7th. So we will see…
    Yes, that was is in Holland, our boys took the championship in the 16u division. Loved that tournament as there is only one rink and the hotel was 5 min away. We head to Madison for MLK tournament in Jan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast