Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Tipping at Mexican resorts or anything similar? Also vitamins into Mexico?

I hope this gets seen. Its time sensitive, but I didnt want to post something in the lounge that really belongs here again. We will be staying at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico for about 6 days. I found a facebook page for that resort and people talk about tipping for everything and how much they tip. People say things like count on at least $200 for the trip in tips. I was not counting on that, but I get it. I have been to Latin American countries before and brought small bill denominations for that purpose, but have never stayed at a resort and never had so many interactions with people who require tips within a short time. It seems like having lots of $5 bills is a good idea, but also lots of $1; especially since my kids may be off individually at some point. I am trying to wrap my head around what so many $1 bills will be like. (It does seem that people tip in both pesos and US dollars).

Also, any experience bringing vitamins/supplements into Mexico? I know it is allowed, but I have seen conflicting things on if they need to be in their original bottles or not. I know prescription meds should be, or have a dr's note, and it certainly seems safer to have supplements in their bottles, but any experience or knowledge of this?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Get the 1's from the bank so they're in a nice flat stack and they won't be as clunky to carry! Also, the front desk at the resort will probably be happy to make change for you if you run out.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We brought a lot of 1 dollar bills. We tipped the waiters/waitress whenever they brought a drink. Also left tips after we ate, after our room was cleaned, our drivers, and the valet/luggage handlers. The American dollar is very much appreciated in Mexico.

Thank you! Trying to imagine how thick of a stack these $1 bills will be!

ETA: Just googled and turns out 100 $100 bills are .43 inch, so $200 should be under an inch.
    If anyone has recommendations about if my vitamins/supplements should be in their containers, let me know! Seems like a safer thing to do in terms of not getting hassled through customs, but I am taking a lot of supplements right now, so would prefer not to carry their bottles! (of course, I will only take what i need for the trip either way).
    Last edited by JustMe; 12-09-2022 at 03:09 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’d spilt the money up in different bags, just in case. I wouldn’t have all the cash in one spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've taken vitamins/supplements into Mexico a bunch of times in just ziplocs parceled out for my daily needs and never had an issue, but not sure I've ever gotten the red light at customs doing it, so cannot say 100% for sure you'd be fine. I feel like at least one of us gets the red per trip but if it was me I don't think they said anything about it because I definitely never had to explain what the pills were. I really don't see how having them in their original bottle helps unless it is still sealed. You could have put anything in there. They will make you toss them or their won't, I think. I have been sniffed by the drug dogs with that stuff in my carry-on and been fine.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We've been to Mexico several times and I always bring all my vitamins and supplements for me and the kids. I just put them in those Monday-Sunday week long organizers. For our August Cancun trip I bought this bigger vitamin holder for myself and it was great.
    https://a.co/d/8PCmQYY

The only things I have in their original bottles are small travel size bottles of ibuprofen and pepto bismol.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Never been to Mexico (other than a day trip in college) but I have a similar pill container to the one Essnce linked and I really like it except I lost one of the days (by putting one in the pocket or a purse) and I hate that you can’t buy a replacement day box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Thanks everyone! Really looking forward to this trip!

So confused, sort of. Was just reviewing my Costco reservation and it says tips and gratuities included. I never would have thought differently if I hadn’t located a Facebook group about the resort (not made by the resort, but by guests who have been there) and there are numerous posts about making sure you tip enough, etc with even one person bashing someone who tipped less than most group members mentioned. Like I said, if I hadn’t found this Facebook group, I would have assumed I didn’t need to tip…especially after seeing that stated by the Costco info. I could call Costco reservations and ask; maybe I will, but I have had to call them about other stuff and they are helpful as they can be, but I don’t get the feeling they know about this kind of detail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast