Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Update #20 Maui excursions/activities/luau recommendations?

We are leaving in just over 2 months and I need to start working on this. We will have five full days Monday through Friday 2/20 to 2/24. We arrive mid day Sunday and leave in the afternoon on Saturday.

I am not honestly not sure how much off shore stuff we will do mainly because dd2 might have anxiety about any kind of boat trip because she got horrible motion sickness in 2019 when she went on a YMCA fishing trip off the coast of California. It is the one thing that makes me nervous about this trip, but I am hoping that the catamaran style boat is okay.

We are staying at Honoa Kai resort in Kaanapali.

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-23-2023 at 03:55 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Default Maui excursions/activities/luau recommendations?

Trilogy day trip to Lanai. Definitely worth the money. I have horrible motion sickness on boats, so I took bonine 45 min before departing and wore a patch. If I felt a bit weird, I’d look off into the horizon. (fyi: I needed round the clock bonine and a patch when I took a cruise. I was seasick before the ship left the dock ) and I took a Channel Islands excursion last august and it was way choppier than the boat to lanai.

https://sailtrilogy.com/tour/discover-lanai

Airport beach has great snorkeling off the shore.

Kapalua Beach Trail

Hookipa beach to see the turtles
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 12-15-2022 at 02:23 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I sugget a Trilogy trip to Honolua Bay. It avoids a channel crossing and it's a shorter trip.

Annie, please PM me. We've been going to Maui for decades and we've stayed at Honua Kai and other resorts nearby.

We were in Maui for 2 weeks 2 summers ago. We LOVED Kapalua beach. It's small but beautiful and the water is perfect. The long beach trail around there is gorgeous.
    Highly recommend Monkeypod restaurant. There are two on the island, both are good. If you're up for a fancy dinner, Merriman's has amazing food and views. It's right next to Kapaulua beach.
    Consider a walk around "dragon's teeth"
    Also consider driving the Road to Hana. There was so much hype about it being too overrun. We thought it was fine, just leave early-- by around 9-ish. No problems and beautiful views and great stops for shot walks.hikes.
    DD '06
    DD '14

Quote Originally Posted by vludmilla View Post
    We were in Maui for 2 weeks 2 summers ago. We LOVED Kapalua beach. It's small but beautiful and the water is perfect. The long beach trail around there is gorgeous.
    Highly recommend Monkeypod restaurant. There are two on the island, both are good. If you're up for a fancy dinner, Merriman's has amazing food and views. It's right next to Kapaulua beach.
    Consider a walk around "dragon's teeth"
    Also consider driving the Road to Hana. There was so much hype about it being too overrun. We thought it was fine, just leave early-- by around 9-ish. No problems and beautiful views and great stops for shot walks.hikes.
    Kapalua beach was awesome!!!!! We saw seat turtles there. (We did Dragons teeth first then hiked down to Kapalua beach).

And the mai tais at monkeypod were the BOMB!!!!! So amazing. They have a great happy hour
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Update: I booked Trilogy Discover Kaanapali on Monday our first full day so we could just potentially rip off the boat ride/snorkeling band aid for Dd2 immediately and not have to her worry about the whole trip. Thankfully she is 12 so she still qualifies as a child so less money lost if she truly hates it (she did like the look of the cinnamon rolls Trilogy serves that were on the website). I also booked Atlantis Adventures Submarine trip for Thursday (full day 4) for Dh and DD1 (I am slightly claustrophobic and Dd2 had no interest in that) so I think DD2 and I will just explore the area while they are on their submarine trip which is a total of about 2 hours. We haven’t booked anything else yet but made a list of all of the national parks on Maui so we have a few options for that; Dd2 says she wants to go see some sea caves. We did the road to Hana in 2003 (in the rain!) and we loved it even though all of the little shops were closed due to the weather.

We would all love to do the luau but the price is almost cost prohibitive (the cheapest I have found is $670 including taxes) so I haven’t booked one yet and may not. There are free hula dancing performances around the island as well so I would rather watch one of those and get a nice meal afterwards.

We are working on a list of restaurants and Monkeypod is on there. Roy’s will probably on there as well as we ate there in 2003 (after watching one of those restaurant shows in the hotel room tv). Our resort has a Duke’s and the same restaurant group own’s Kimo’s in Lahaina and that looks to be a good option (and I think we may have eaten there before as well). Dd1 also found a place in Hana on Yelp, Hana Farms that looks good.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-04-2023 at 05:04 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

The trilogy cinnamon rolls are really good. And my kids drank gallons of pog (passion fruit-orange-guava juice).

As for a luau, we just walked down the beach path in Wailea at sunset and saw parts of a couple of luaus a few of the evenings. It would have been really expensive for the 5 of us to attend one, and the Trilogy excursion was our big splurge.

One of our favorite meals was a random hole in the wall Chinese restaurant (amazing reviews…DS2 still talks about the chow fun). And the Monkeypod mai tais are the best!!!! We ate at a food food truck in Hana that was pretty good. And if your DD gets motion sickness, she should take something on the road to Hana as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    The trilogy cinnamon rolls are really good. And my kids drank gallons of pog (passion fruit-orange-guava juice).

As for a luau, we just walked down the beach path in Wailea at sunset and saw parts of a couple of luaus a few of the evenings. It would have been really expensive for the 5 of us to attend one, and the Trilogy excursion was our big splurge.

One of our favorite meals was a random hole in the wall Chinese restaurant (amazing reviews…DS2 still talks about the chow fun). And the Monkeypod mai tais are the best!!!! We ate at a food food truck in Hana that was pretty good. And if your DD gets motion sickness, she should take something on the road to Hana as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

I wish my kids liked Chinese food. Dd1 has been to a Benihana type place and said it was fine and Dd2 just likes egg rolls and rice. I highly doubt I would get Dd1 to try traditional Chinese now as she hasn’t liked it at all since we first took her when she was about 18 months old and we tried multiple times before age 5. If you remember the name let me know though. Dh and I could always do take out.

There are luaus up in Kaanapali as well so maybe I will scour Reddit or Fodors and look for free luau show advice. Reports pre Covid state that they were about $85-$100 per adult so many have doubled in price. There also used to be show only be show only options but those don’t look to be available anymore.

No in the car she is good. She won’t tell anyone exactly what happened on the fishing trip so I just have to guess that she over the side of the boat or came close to it. She always says she doesn’t want to talk about it so we don’t ask questions.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-04-2023 at 11:47 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Annie, they have generic American food as well as Asian and Hawaiian food. In my mind I was remembering it as Chinese since DS2’s chow fun was amazing!!! He can’t stop talking about it. I think DH and I shared the fish sampler. DS1 probably got a burger and fries. If you are looking for take out, I definitely recommend this place. We had a quick lunch here in between a morning at airport beach and an afternoon in Kapalua.

Honokowai Okazuya & Deli
    (808) 665-0512
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/USZojjNvN9FApQii8?g_st=ic
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 01-05-2023 at 12:24 AM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Annie, they have generic American food as well as Asian and Hawaiian food. In my mind I was remembering it as Chinese since DS2’s chow fun was amazing!!! He can’t stop talking about it. I think DH and I shared the fish sampler. DS1 probably got a burger and fries. If you are looking for take out, I definitely recommend this place. We had a quick lunch here in between a morning at airport beach and an afternoon in Kapalua.

Honokowai Okazuya & Deli
    (808) 665-0512
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/USZojjNvN9FApQii8?g_st=ic
    That is close to where we are staying….thank you so much!

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast