Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How exciting! We just got back from Maui and the Big Island so I'm all blissed out. Here's some of what we did, FWIW.

Restaurants - we didn't go to a luau, I just couldn't get myself to pay that. We ate a lot of poke bowls and fish sandwiches - so good. Lahaina Fish Co was the nicest meal we had (it was good, and reasonably priced). Joey's Kitchen was fantastic for takeout, Down the Hatch in Lahaina and Castaway Cafe were both really good. And we actually planned to go to the Honokowai Okazuya & Deli that georgiegirl mentioned, but we ran out of time! Must go back.

We took a catamaran trip with Gemini. The crew, boat, lunch and snorkeling were all fabulous (we spent our luau $$$ here instead and didn't regret it). It was a very smooth ride, even though there were big waves and loading from the beach was kind of precarious. But I have no idea if that's always the case.

If you plan to snorkel, consider signing up for The Snorkel Store's daily email report. We found it really useful. Kapalua and north of that was all stirred up while we were there, but Airport Beach was the best snorkeling we did from shore. Black Rock was fun too, but didn't compare to the reef at Airport!

Haleakala - half a day would have been plenty unless you plan on hiking far into the crater. Kula Botanical Gardens on the way there or the way back if you're into that

DD and I went ziplining, and we went on a chocolate tour at DS's request. They were both great experiences. We didn't drive the Road to Hana because we'd just come from the BIg Island, where we saw a lot of waterfalls and spent a LOT of time in the car. Otherwise I think we would have.

If you plan to drive around the island much, we really like the Gypsy Guide app. I think the Shaka app is a similar idea.

Hope you have a great trip!!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gobadgers View Post
    How exciting! We just got back from Maui and the Big Island so I'm all blissed out. Here's some of what we did, FWIW.

Restaurants - we didn't go to a luau, I just couldn't get myself to pay that. We ate a lot of poke bowls and fish sandwiches - so good. Lahaina Fish Co was the nicest meal we had (it was good, and reasonably priced). Joey's Kitchen was fantastic for takeout, Down the Hatch in Lahaina and Castaway Cafe were both really good. And we actually planned to go to the Honokowai Okazuya & Deli that georgiegirl mentioned, but we ran out of time! Must go back.

We took a catamaran trip with Gemini. The crew, boat, lunch and snorkeling were all fabulous (we spent our luau $$$ here instead and didn't regret it). It was a very smooth ride, even though there were big waves and loading from the beach was kind of precarious. But I have no idea if that's always the case.

If you plan to snorkel, consider signing up for The Snorkel Store's daily email report. We found it really useful. Kapalua and north of that was all stirred up while we were there, but Airport Beach was the best snorkeling we did from shore. Black Rock was fun too, but didn't compare to the reef at Airport!

Haleakala - half a day would have been plenty unless you plan on hiking far into the crater. Kula Botanical Gardens on the way there or the way back if you're into that

DD and I went ziplining, and we went on a chocolate tour at DS's request. They were both great experiences. We didn't drive the Road to Hana because we'd just come from the BIg Island, where we saw a lot of waterfalls and spent a LOT of time in the car. Otherwise I think we would have.

If you plan to drive around the island much, we really like the Gypsy Guide app. I think the Shaka app is a similar idea.

Hope you have a great trip!!
    Go Badgers thanks so much for your report. I honestly don’t know if we will snorkel a lot or not. I think that will depend on how much we like snorkeling after our snorkel trip on day 1.

Thanks for all of the food recs.. I am the only one who really likes fish and have never had poke but I will keep a list going of places to eat. Dh will eat fish in rolls but isn’t big on true sushi.

What is the name of the chocolate tour? Dd2 would love that!

I am not big on heights so I am not sure about n zip lining and no one else has mentioned wanting to do it, but if I could get the name of the company who does it that would be great.

Thank you for the road guides as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

DS is a hard pass on fish too. He ordered a lot of burgers, but found that he likes Kahlua Pig, so I took that as a win.

The chocolate tour we went on was at Ku'ia Estates - Craft Chocolate Made in Hawaii | Maui Ku'ia Estate Chocolate (mauichocolate.com) I didn't research it well because we booked it last minute, but it was legit, interesting and fun. The price tag is steep, but all the profits from the tour are donated anyway.

We went on the Kapalua Zipline. It was great - amazing views and exhilarating, but not terrifying, lol. Maui Zip Lines - Kapalua Ziplines - Dual Zipline Tours in Hawaii
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Thank you Go Badgers. I did a Google search and found that company as well. If just dd2 and I did it would cheaper than the submarine voyage. I just have to see if the drop off places are near each other or if it is close enough to Uber from our resort.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Thank you Go Badgers. I did a Google search and found that company as well. If just dd2 and I did it would cheaper than the submarine voyage. I just have to see if the drop off places are near each other or if it is close enough to Uber from our resort.

I hope you have a great trip! Even with all these fun excursions and things to see/do, I was realizing that some of our favorite moments were just low-key at the beach. So, I think you can't go wrong :-)
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Default Maui excursions/activities/luau recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by gobadgers View Post
    I hope you have a great trip! Even with all these fun excursions and things to see/do, I was realizing that some of our favorite moments were just low-key at the beach. So, I think you can't go wrong :-)
    I booked the full chocolate tour for Dd2 and myself and it works out perfectly that is is near the submarine tour for Dh and Dd1 and close to the same time.

I agree with just hanging out. I am thinking at this point we should have plenty of time to relax even with the three excursions and pending drives to Hana and other National parks. I told Dh we need to keep some days open because of weather to avoid driving to Hana in the rain so we really can’t plan anything until it gets closer.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

How was your trip?

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    How was your trip?
    We don’t go until February 19th….still over a month left!

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    We don’t go until February 19th….still over a month left!

Sending a PM - we are going in April!

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Sending a PM - we are going in April!
    Okay… will be on the look out!

A few more questions?:
    1. How far in advance did you book your reservation at Wai‘ānapanapa? You can book 30 days out. Right now I can book for 2/21, or 2/22, and could book on Friday 2/24 as well later this week. We are not morning people while on vacation but I am hoping we can get moving by 8:30 at the latest so I would book the 12-3 time slot.

2. Did you pre rent supplies like beach chairs, boogie boards, snorkel gear, etc. prior to your trip? Or just rent once you got there any truly found out what you needed. My current list: a few chairs, an umbrella, 2 boogie boards, and a cooler (last time we ended up buying a disposable foam cooler from Longs). I am not sure about basic snorkel gear because neither Dh nor I did it on our last trip outside of the snorkel trip we did (and haven’t snorkeled since) Popular companies on Yelp are The Snorkel Store, and Snorkel Bobs. Maui Vacation Equipment has a pick up locker spot near the airport and one in Lahaina (closer to our resort).

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast