hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Christmas Decorations on Banisters

I know they look pretty, but banisters and handrails on stairways are NOT just for decoration (or to keep people from falling off the edge). People need them to hold on while they navigate the stairs.

It makes me crazy to see staircases decorated in a way that impedes the use of the banisters.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I totally agree with this!! I had DH remove the lights he wrapped around the banister/handrail because they make it so that you aren't holding the handrail! I'm ok with the lights wrapped around the spindles UNDER the handrail.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    I know they look pretty, but banisters and handrails on stairways are NOT just for decoration (or to keep people from falling off the edge). People need them to hold on while they navigate the stairs.

It makes me crazy to see staircases decorated in a way that impedes the use of the banisters.
    I totally agree! They look so good and festive wrapped around the handrails but they are a nuisance. There are plenty of other places to hang garland that doesn’t risk injury.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post

I saw a college age TikToker point this out on her campus. They fully decorated the handrails on both sides of a flight of stairs in the middle of a long run of sidewalk.

I agree people just don't think about it! But someone who NEEDS that hand support would really have trouble there.