Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default I’m tired of Christmas this year. :(

I’m kind of ashamed to say this because I see the end of the years my kids are home during Christmas preparations. But this year hasn’t been fun. None of my kids gave me any gift ideas so I’m guessing and keeping my fingers crossed. They have made it clear what they DONT want any “cringe” funny tshirts. Seriously!!?? Those and funny socks always made them laugh. Not this year. They are cringe I guess. And gettin them to help with ornaments or meal prep or help cleaning the house is met with, “ I have studying/recital practicing/drivers Ed/online language lessons to do. Sorry, I’m too busy”. And then there has been the sickness. Everyone has been really sick. And I’ve been trying to work on studying with ds3 at night for finals. And then there are the board meetings which usually happen without much work but this year there have been extra meetings to establish COLA pay raises which have to be higher than usual because of the high inflation (which is really hurting this non profit). And even though I started redecorating the twins rooms in September, the decorator and painter chose December to finally come and finish the kids’ rooms. Seriously? Aren’t they busy in December too?

I didn’t order enough Christmas cards but now it’s too late so some people aren’t getting one this year. And I have a kid coming home from college tonight so I should wrap his big gifts which have an image of what they contain on the outside. I wish I could just wrap them and sit them under the tree but I don’t have the ornaments on yet.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 12-18-2022 at 11:54 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I said "forget it" this year with the tree. It has lights, garland and a few generic ornaments (a box of Target white glitter snowflakes and a few balls). I didn't bring up all of our sentimental ornaments and I don't miss them. I told the family that if they cared/missed them then they were welcome to get the ornaments out and decorate- no one has cared. I am appreciating downsizing things! Clean up is going to be so much easier post-season!
    I also didn't get enough cards. Oops! But, oh well.
    Usually I wrap gifts while watching some cheesy holiday movies to get in the spirit. I instead wrapped while watching a raunchy show on HBO and being perfectly content being less Christmas-y.
    At least the kids still want to do some of our family tradition outings so that's nice! But we have been so busy with sports and activities that we haven't really done anything Christmas-y at all at home and it's kinda weird!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The World Cup at this time of year has really thrown a wrench into my Christmas plans. I am so glad today is the last day but really would have appreciated if it had finished last week.
    Last edited by jgenie; 12-18-2022 at 01:31 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    The World Cup at this time of year has really thrown a wrench into my Christmas plans. I am so glad today is the last day but really would have appreciated if it had finished last week.
    So true!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We are low keying Christmas this year. We put the tree up over Thanksgiving, so that was helpful. The cards/gifts are sent, gifts are wrapped (not that I have many ideas for anyone), house is "relatively" clean. I have not baked anything yet, don't have meals planned, haven't really thought about where guests are staying... College age DC comes home tomorrow, maybe they will help me get in the spirit.

DH just announced he is home for the next two weeks and wants to ski... every day... He is not happy that DC and I have appointments, ect. If I had known he had this week off, I would have rescheduled some stuff. But he told me on Friday...

I think Christmas is just too much and mothers get the brunt of it. Every year we low key a little more. If it was just us, the plans might be different, but we have elderly family to consider.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I feel you. For many similar reasons.

I had an unspoken intention to make my senior’s last childhood Christmas special, but life has gotten crazy. College applications season and an ED rejection killed any hope for that. Our winter break this year feels too short too. Only one week plus a day. Otherwise, I think I’d be looking forward to catching our breath and enjoying some down time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Yes! We've been watching so much World Cup and had two different sets of visitors since Thanksgiving. We haven't gotten enough of our December/holiday prep done!

This year is my youngest kiddo last year with believing in Santa. It’s bittersweet but honestly semi happy too, as for last 11 xmases I’ve always gone and above every year, and I’m tired too. But you guys have been doing it much longer too!

It’s the combination of knowing it’s the last real Xmas, lots of sickness going around and my divorce that makes things feel heavy for me this year.

Also recognize in every other areas of my life, I’ve been prioritizing myself first more and more. Too many women and mothers stress themselves in trying to make everyone else happy, no more of that for next Xmas and any other important milestones too. Everyone deserve a moment of peace, joy and happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think we as women/moms need to say no way more often. Every mom I know is extremely stressed right now. My best friend is a teacher and they are working till the 23rd this year. She had a full blown mental breakdown this week from doing way too much, including having 10 little girls over yesterday for her DDs 10th birthday. For whatever reason moms are more likely to give into the pressure or there is none for men. For instance, the girl's volleyball coach at DS2's club has a 2 year old AND just had baby #2 this week! She was at practice this week with both kids and they had a Christmas themed practice with ugly sweaters, reindeer antlers, and secret Santa gifts! She literally must have just given birth 2 days prior since she still had a huge belly and I assumed she hadn't had her baby yet. Her husband is a coach too so he literally could have taken over while she recovered at home. On the other hand, DS2's coach is a 24 year old single guy. There's no themed practice, matching outfits, or gifts and that's totally 100% fine and preferred!

In my own house I'm definitely doing way less this year. DH has been on crutches/knee scooter since the beginning of Nov so can't help do anything or drive. I just finished 2 classes and my own finals were 3 days ago. Normally DH goes out and gets a fresh Christmas tree and it sits undecorated until I get around to putting the lights on. This year I said F it. I ordered a prelit fake tree from Amazon that also has berries and pinecones on it. I put it up in 20 minutes and it looks so pretty without any ornaments. We have a psycho 5 month old kitten who climbs everything so we're doing zero ornaments on it. I didn't take out a single decoration until after my finals and I didn't do a Christmas card yet (maybe I'll do a new year's one if I get around to it). DS2 was sick for a week and then so exhausted that I thought he had mono, but now seems ok. We finally started his neuropsych testing on Friday and DS1 just got home from college last night. DH can't drive so he hasn't been able to pick DS2 up from volleyball practice. This week I had DH order him a HopSkipDrive (Uber for kids) so he could get to practice during my finals). Last week my mom was picking him up but then she tested positive for covid right before leaving to go get him so I had to leave in the middle of my class to go get him myself. I've barely bought any gifts so far and have zero stocking stuffers. Every year we make tamales but this year it seems like too much.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I think we as women/moms need to say no way more often. Every mom I know is extremely stressed right now. My best friend is a teacher and they are working till the 23rd this year. She had a full blown mental breakdown this week from doing way too much, including having 10 little girls over yesterday for her DDs 10th birthday. For whatever reason moms are more likely to give into the pressure or there is none for men. For instance, the girl's volleyball coach at DS2's club has a 2 year old AND just had baby #2 this week! She was at practice this week with both kids and they had a Christmas themed practice with ugly sweaters, reindeer antlers, and secret Santa gifts! She literally must have just given birth 2 days prior since she still had a huge belly and I assumed she hadn't had her baby yet. Her husband is a coach too so he literally could have taken over while she recovered at home. On the other hand, DS2's coach is a 24 year old single guy. There's no themed practice, matching outfits, or gifts and that's totally 100% fine and preferred!
    I know exactly who you mean! I saw pics of DD's friends at their volleyball party with ugly seaters a newborn baby. Small world! I think they had a tournament all this weekend too!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast