Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Will I need express passes at Universal Studios in February?

It’s suppose to be one of the slowest times of the year but I don’t want to assume anything. We have only been to universal like twice and really are only interested in the Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. If we do need the express passes is it worth it to do the unlimited ones?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have not been in Feb. but in March, Aug, Dec, and Jan, and we stayed at the resorts with express because all those times were crowded.

From memory so there may be more, it's just good for getting into:
    Hogsmeade:
    Forbidden Journey - 3D4D simulator that makes people nauseous, 3 of us skip it after 1x on it
    Flight of the Hippogriff - small rollercoaster - my kids say the regular line moves just as fast as express
    Hogwarts Express - only once have I been thankful to have express, but that was at the end of the day going to the park that was open later
    Diagon Alley:
    Gringott's - we still waited forever in this line

Are you going during the week? I wouldn't think it would be a problem to go without express during the week.

Express does NOT work for Hagrid's Motorbike, which your should prioritize and expect a wait. We did it last week and waited 110 minutes. I saw this weekend it was up to 330 minutes. insane.

I read in your post that the other girl likes Marvel, so plan to do something over there for her. That section makes my head hurt, but it may be good for her to go through that part and get to do a ride. My kids like Spiderman.

It would be fun to have a wand to try out the spells, so either borrow one from a friend who has gone recently (and it has the special interactive tip) or plan to buy one for $70ish. It's easy enough to share. My kids really get into looking at the "stuff" from the books, so going into the gift shops, the candy shop, the dark alley, knocking on the door, seeing the night bus, trying out the various forms of Butterbeer, etc. None of those things need Express. We really enjoyed the HOT butterbeer next to the ice cream shop in Diagon Alley on Christmas night. it really hit the spot.

In all, I think you're fine without it, especially that time of year on a weekday morning. I could be wrong though...how much are they?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

With just 1 day, yes. Too much to see without them, I think. The line for the Hogwarts express could eat up an hour one way without them (and you'll want to ride it both ways). There's really ni slow time. They are cheaper if you buy in advance but they are unlikely to sell out if you just want to play it by ear and wait to buy when you are there.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes! Nothing like watching the day slip away as others cut the line and you are stuck waiting. I would save money somewhere else if budget is a concern. If we had a friend with us, I would spring for their upgrade and budget accordingly. We love rides so I would stay at a hotel that has the express passes. I have no idea what they run a la carte.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    It’s suppose to be one of the slowest times of the year but I don’t want to assume anything. We have only been to universal like twice and really are only interested in the Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. If we do need the express passes is it worth it to do the unlimited ones?
    When in February? All the northeast schools have February break during president's week, so that's always a very busy time for WDW and Universal.
    Here's a crowd calendar: https://www.undercovertourist.com/or...february-2023/
    IMO, I'd get the express pass for any day with a crowd level above a 5.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

It appears to be $130-210/extra per day per person. The week of president's day and the 1/2 marathon is the only busy week I can see.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    When in February? All the northeast schools have February break during president's week, so that's always a very busy time for WDW and Universal.
    Here's a crowd calendar: https://www.undercovertourist.com/or...february-2023/
    IMO, I'd get the express pass for any day with a crowd level above a 5.
    We will be at Universal on Wednesday, February 8th. So I’m kinda undecided.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    We will be at Universal on Wednesday, February 8th. So I’m kinda undecided.
    Low crowds- 5/10... I would not bother. We were there on Christmas Day and it wasn't THAT bad. 12/26, Spring Break, summer, T'giving week, any Saturday/Sunday, yes but ...I don't think it's worth it for a random school day Wed. in Feb. not attached to a holiday. Can't see them wanting to ride each of those rides again, and you're not trying to do every rollercoaster in the park, just HP, right? I know money is no object but it just seems wasteful to buy it for a day like that. The tickets are already $180, right? Maybe I'm just over HP/US. We just spent too many days there this past year.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That seems like a pretty low crowd day to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I still think it is worth it. Even if lines are only 30-60 minutes- par for the course even on slower days, you won’t get on many rides when you add up wait times. Shows, eating, spells, browsing…you want time for those things and not to be wasting them in line. It’s worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast