Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoalyssa View Post
    I saw a functional medicine MD about 8 years ago when I was 42 because I was experiencing anxiety in a way I never had before. It felt like a bucket of anxiety was being poured over my body at random times (not based on a distressing situation but out of the blue) and it was very distressing. The doctor did blood work and checked my hormones (blood draw for hormone levels is always between the 19th-21st day of my cycle). She determined I was progesterone deficient and prescribed a compounded cream to apply to my breasts every cycle from day 15 until I start my period. The results were life changing. No more days of very difficult PMS and a huge reduction in the anxiety I was experiencing. I'm now almost 51 and am still going to the doctor at least twice a year to have my hormone levels checked. I'm still using the Progesterone cream and the dose is tweaked based on my bloodwork. I haven't had any hot flashes or other peri menopause symptoms yet except my cycles have been moving closer to 22 days--down from almost 28 my whole life. But then this month was 26 days. I think progesterone supplementation has helped my moods to be so much more stable than they would have been without. So important when one is raising teenagers! And helped me to be a better spouse--my husband was so perplexed by my previous PMS struggles each month and he, unfortunately, bore the brunt of my anger and frustration. Just my experience but I hope it is helpful to someone. I think there is a lot that can be done and it makes me sad to watch my friends struggle through this transition.
    Yes, the anxiety spikes and insomnia that I've never before experienced were alarming, and the month-long period was the last straw. I'm so glad I started seeing a new GYN who was my age and understood what I was going through was not something to tough out, but debilitating and impairing my quality of life. I started low-dow HRT 4 months ago and feel....normal. Which is absolutely amazing.

for Sandy Hook

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Paywalled.
    Try this link, it should open.

for Sandy Hook

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4