scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Long term SSRI use?

Does anyone have any experience using and SSRI long term? I have been on Lexapro for several years and am a little worried about long term side effects. It has helped my anxiety immensely but part of me wonders if I should take a “break”. Any one have any experiences?
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh boy, I've been on Lexapro since I was 17... I'm 38. I took a couple of breaks for pregnancy, but I don't think there have been any long term effects.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

ArizonaGirl- thank you for your response! This makes me feel better. I really do think the meds are good for me and my mental health so I would ideally like to stay on them. I have a friend that may stop due to weight gain. I’m more worried about more serious side effects.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No personal experience with any SSRIs, but I hope anyone taking any of them has been advised not to discontinue suddenly but instead talk first to a physician about how to taper off.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

I went on Sertraline at age 31. Took that for at least 20 years and then started to notice it wearing off. I switched to Lexapro and have taken that for 7 years. The bottom line is I need that medication to function. Just like if I needed high blood pressure medication. The good news is that SSRIs protect against some menopause issues--like hot flashes. I have 3 hot flashes a day, pretty much on schedule and they aren't that bad. The only side effects I have are dry mouth/dehydration. I just drink more water. I can't blame sexual side effects on SSRI--everything was fine in my 30s and 40s. It was menopause and teenagers that has impacted that part of my life!!

What side effects are you worried about? Do you have them now? I can say that me off the meds is not something I want to do--I would need some serious side effects (like a 25 lb weight gain, not 5 lbs) before I quit Lexapro!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I can honestly say I did have a 20- 25pound weight gain and my friend says she is gaining a pound a week after about 2 years of use! I am counteracting the weights gain with ozempic right now.

I have been mostly on an SSRI of some type since my early twenties, so over 20 years. I did take a little time off surrounding pregnancies, but this latest stretch has been 10+ years. Other than the inevitable weight gain, I haven't noticed long term side effects.

What I can caution you about is that sometimes once you "take a break" from an SSRI, when you need it again, it sometimes doesn't work. That was the case for me with Paxil. It worked beautifully to control my panic attacks when first prescribed. Once they were under control, I stopped for pregnancy. I ended up having panic attacks again and immediately went back to Paxil. This time, it made my panic much worse. Then it took a while to find the right fit. I've been on Zoloft since and I hesitate to stop for this reason.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09