Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Today's twitchiness brought to you by 7th grade girls, an ongoing interpersonal conflict, identical schedules, a fight in PE, a full-body tantrum, and suicidal ideation ... all meaning that, due to a well-intentioned state policy, DD is home from school AGAIN because she needs to be cleared by a mental health professional after she expressed a struggle with suicidal ideation & a plan to actually unalive herself to a teacher, her case manager, and the school behaviorist.

We met with her therapist (virtually) on Friday after school (as usual - she has a standing appointment) and came to the conclusion that the plan to unalive herself was, while new to me, not an imminent threat to herself or others' safety. (It doesn't help that she smacked the kid she's been struggling all year to avoid during PE, which led to the whole blowup and I just cannot deal right now.)

BUT ... we have to have that assessment in writing as a clearance to return to class, otherwise, she has to stay home.

Two messages for her therapist later, we're still in a holding pattern.
    I’m sorry you are going through all of that. Our middle school didn’t seem to care when my DS was going through some mental health issues, including threats of suicide and online bullying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Today's twitchiness brought to you by 7th grade girls, an ongoing interpersonal conflict, identical schedules, a fight in PE, a full-body tantrum, and suicidal ideation ... all meaning that, due to a well-intentioned state policy, DD is home from school AGAIN because she needs to be cleared by a mental health professional after she expressed a struggle with suicidal ideation & a plan to actually unalive herself to a teacher, her case manager, and the school behaviorist.

We met with her therapist (virtually) on Friday after school (as usual - she has a standing appointment) and came to the conclusion that the plan to unalive herself was, while new to me, not an imminent threat to herself or others' safety. (It doesn't help that she smacked the kid she's been struggling all year to avoid during PE, which led to the whole blowup and I just cannot deal right now.)

BUT ... we have to have that assessment in writing as a clearance to return to class, otherwise, she has to stay home.

Two messages for her therapist later, we're still in a holding pattern.
    Just wanted to send you and your DD some virtual hugs and support.
    I hope the therapist gets back to you soon.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default I've Got Whine; Who's Got Cheese? - 2023 Whine-and-Cheese Thread

That sounds awful! I stopped choosing insurance with flex-spending or other kinds of "we will deduct $$ from your paycheck for you to apply for reimbursement at a later date" funds because I would never follow through on the "submit receipts" portion & I'd end up losing money.
    We have had very few problems with it tbh, but as they get stricter about the rules it makes it frustrating. We now usually just do enough for glasses/contacts for the four of us for a 12 month period.

And Lizzy….hugs to you and your daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It is Day 4 of DD home from school because we still need a clearance letter.

School hasn't received anything yet.
    We haven't received anything yet.

Her therapist wasn't in clinic until today. I'd love it if we could get a copy of the letter uploaded to the client/patient portal instead of waiting for the mail heading into a holiday weekend.

We can't even have the re-entry meeting until we have the clearance letter in-hand.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

We are on day 5 of DD being home because we don't have the clearance.

DH wants me to tell her case manager that we WILL be having the re-entry meeting on Tuesday, and I can't understand why he thinks we can just bulldoze through the protocol. If we don't have a letter in-hand, the school can't re-admit her.

HOWEVER, I now know there are options for DD to get caught up ranging from a regular Academic Support schedule before homeroom to an after-school "study and support" group that maybe confiscating her devices will encourage her to attend.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m sorry!!! Is there a reason you can’t pick up the letter from the provider???

I had friend just go through this with her 11 yr old daughter. The girl was mad and said some things in her anger and she had to be picked up and couldn’t return without clearance. I understand they want to make sure the kids are ok, but at the same time pre teens/teens say some dumb stuff without thinking first and then they get stuck in this loop of not being able to go to school for days on end.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I’m sorry!!! Is there a reason you can’t pick up the letter from the provider???
    Well, because it's a telehealth counseling appointment, the clinic is at quite a distance away. Add this to the fact that the counselor wasn't in-clinic until Thursday & was trying to coordinate with their supervisor, who is out-of-state, for wording/policy/signoff, it wouldn't have helped us to show up.

But we have the letter now (as a PDF!) and have a shot at holding the re-entry meeting on Tuesday.

I had friend just go through this with her 11 yr old daughter. The girl was mad and said some things in her anger and she had to be picked up and couldn’t return without clearance. I understand they want to make sure the kids are ok, but at the same time pre teens/teens say some dumb stuff without thinking first and then they get stuck in this loop of not being able to go to school for days on end.
    DH was livid that they wouldn't let DD go back to class, especially since she's already struggling in one core subject AND she was out a week with post-COVID lingering cough, but they have to follow protocols.

When I spoke with DD's case manager, I said that being out another week was really concerning to us, especially considering how frustrated & stressed DD already is with her weakest class. There will be a lot of pushiness at the re-entry meeting to ensure she gets the assistance she needs to get caught up.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m glad you got the letter. I didn’t realize it was an out of area issue. Yes, push hard for them to help your DD catch up! They made her stay home, it is their responsibility to help her catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I’m glad you got the letter. I didn’t realize it was an out of area issue. Yes, push hard for them to help your DD catch up! They made her stay home, it is their responsibility to help her catch up.
    I mean, I wasn't really clear about it because when you think "therapy" it's most likely to be in-person, but teletherapy has been working really well for us in terms of convenience for me (no scheduling 3pm visits & having DD pulled from Social Studies on the regular to rush through potentially crowded roads on our way to an in-person appointment, risking a late charge, etc., etc., etc.) and comfort for DD (she's in her own space) although I do wish DH would leave his office during DD's chats - we have a semi-open plan layout to the house & you can hear everything from the 3rd floor office space - no door!

We have the re-entry meeting set for 7:30am on Tuesday, 2/21, so I'll have to remind DD that we need to be in the car, leaving the house by 7:20am, not sauntering down the stairs at 7:25am
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so glad you have the letter and can get a meeting on Tue Liz. Sending you a hug! You are a great mom.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast