Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Like others are saying, one at the most, and not AP English. She has 4 years to develop her high school resume and freshman year you want her to also explore all the extra curricular offerings, as those are also important. I'm not sure where you are, if it's in an area that is high pressure, high expectations, but I think many on this board have given good advice to start slow. AP classes aren't the be all. Also encourage her to take interesting classes, I am amazed at the variety offered, DS wanted to fit cyber security as well as personal nutrition, but he ran out of room in his schedule, and didn't even have time for woodworking or culinary arts which also appealed to him.

Look at what honors classes are offered vs AP as a freshman.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Like others are saying, one at the most, and not AP English. She has 4 years to develop her high school resume and freshman year you want her to also explore all the extra curricular offerings, as those are also important. I'm not sure where you are, if it's in an area that is high pressure, high expectations, but I think many on this board have given good advice to start slow. AP classes aren't the be all. Also encourage her to take interesting classes, I am amazed at the variety offered, DS wanted to fit cyber security as well as personal nutrition, but he ran out of room in his schedule, and didn't even have time for woodworking or culinary arts which also appealed to him.
    Look at what honors classes are offered vs AP as a freshman.
    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Cyber security would be so interesting! How awesome to have that offered in HS.

Quote Originally Posted by ray7694 View Post
    Our high school offered dual credit and my ds took those. He wanted nothing to do with an AP exam. He also took honors courses. Unless the child is super strong in the subject I don’t think it’s necessary to take advanced courses.
    Half of our AP classes are dual credit. DD for dual credit for AP Calc AB last year, and this year she’s getting dual credit for APUSH, AP Bio, and AP Calc BC. Annoying thing is that it’s tied to the community college curriculum, so the teachers are trying to balance dual enrollment with AP guidelines. So we don’t have a ton of kids taking the AP tests (since we have a lot of kids go to college in state and know they will get credit.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    DS1 took two - AP Stats and AP Gov. It was a heavy lift. AP Gov is only available to 11th+, but he made an impassioned pitch and got in. It was the first time in his life that he hasn't has all A's. I don't think it was the wrong choice, necessarily, but it certainly impacted his GPA. Both were subjects where he excels. He got 5s on both AP exams, but it was pretty stressful.
    That's impressive! DS1 took both of those classes senior year.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We have only one option - US history.

If an AP English is taken in 9th, what do they take the rest of the years for English? My kids were ahead a year, and took AP English Language in 10th and then 2 years of IB English. But 4 years are needed so after 2 years of AP (language and literature), what next?

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Kris

diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you all for the replies. Based on what you all said I looked closely at the course selection sheets. They are indeed offering only AP human geography for grade9. They recently changed the course names to AAC (advanced academic course) and it got so confusing. I think AP is AP and preAP is now called AAC. This is a large public school district in Texas. The course selection sheet was due on 17th but the parent night was scheduled for tomorrow 19th and parents were scrambling to understand. They moved submission to 20th so we have time to learn more..looks like requirements for graduation are only 1PE credit. Is that normal? That means they take PE only one year of the four high school years. That's sad because my DD would mostly do activity only if it was required...I would have loved PE At least two days a week throughout high school years..
    Last edited by diamond; 01-18-2023 at 08:16 AM.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our HS requires 1 credit of PE and 1 credit of Health/Wellness to graduate. They take a quarter of each each year. My DS hates that it has to be taken every year instead of finished in fewer years because it makes it harder to take other full year courses you might be interested in. I wish they’d give exemptions for kids doing sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. Based on what you all said I looked closely at the course selection sheets. They are indeed offering only AP human geography for grade9. They recently changed the course names to AAC (advanced academic course) and it got so confusing. I think AP is AP and preAP is now called AAC. This is a large public school district in Texas. The course selection sheet was due on 17th but the parent night was scheduled for tomorrow 19th and parents were scrambling to understand. They moved submission to 20th so we have time to learn more..looks like requirements for graduation are only 1PE credit. Is that normal? That means they take PE only one year of the four high school years. That's sad because my DD would mostly do activity only if it was required...I would have loved PE At least two days a week throughout high school years..
    Our district (state?)requires one semester of PE every year. Senior year you can get credit for a varsity sport, but only senior year (which is annoying since DD does two varsity sports every year plus club swimming.) junior year you can take virtual PE if you have a full schedule (DD does). So she just logs her exercise hours (club swim) and completes a few other random health related sciences. Since we have the 4x4 block schedule, that means students have PE 1/4 of their day (90 minutes) every day for a quarter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Ours offer in different subjects beyond math and English. It’s recommended they don’t take AP English or Math first semester/marking period of their HS. I would only encourage taking one a year for freshman, let him adjust to the new school and enjoy as much as he can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Here you have to have 2 credits of PE (one semester is a credit). The first is PE 1, which is required for everyone. Most kids take it online the summer before freshman year. The second one can be waived with participation in a sport or marching band. If not, most take it online between freshman and sophomore years.
    Last edited by o_mom; 01-18-2023 at 10:50 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast