Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How do they get assigned to a counselor? At my school if you asked for a teacher change based on this it likely would honored as it’s based on your family’s personal experience, not what you’ve heard. But our school also does counselors for the entire grade (they loop with the kids so they have the chance over multiple years to get to know them) so it really wouldn’t be possible to request a different counselor. If it’s just the kids are randomly assigned I’d absolutely request a change as it sounds like you’ll have a hard time working with her. I wouldn’t put anything too specific in email, just that you’d like someone different as PP suggested.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

I don't see the harm in asking. DS's school is large and has 12 counselors. They are assigned by alphabet but the kids are told that they can visit anyone available. And if they click better with one over another they can request the change themselves as the counselors also want to be there for more than just academic stuff, but if the kids need someone to talk to or just a place to destress.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would request a switch before your child starts with the school. I like the wording above; just stating that we have worked with X before and would like someone new". Since students have the same counselor for 4 years, it is important that everyone is comfortable with the assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    I would request a switch before your child starts with the school. I like the wording above; just stating that we have worked with X before and would like someone new". Since students have the same counselor for 4 years, it is important that everyone is comfortable with the assignment.
    I agree with the above. You aren’t asking for a switch due to something you heard but based on your own experience with your older child. Our large district only allows switches such as this when an older sibling has experienced the Counselor or Teacher, I like the wording that was mentioned previously and think it would be better to do it now rather than after sometime negative or less than positive happens with your younger child.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2