mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Recommendation for type of therapy

Talk therapy isn’t helping and I need to try something different. I am going through something traumatic which is causing physical reactions in addition to the emotional.

A friend recommended somatic therapy. I went through a list of practitioners in my area and they either were not on my insurance or were not accepting new patients. I already pay out of pocket for therapy for my daughter so can not pay for myself as well.

I have been doing CBT but my first therapist would say frequently “if you are telling the truth, then…”
    NOT helpful! I need to be believed. My second therapist says “what do you need from me” my answer is that “I need you to tell me what I need”.

I just heard about IFS therapy on Glennon Doyle’s podcast and it sounds interesting. I am not on medication and do not want to go there yet. I am not depressed, just need something that works to get me through this and skills for managing as the situation is not changing.

I have good insurance as well as a lot of options through my employer though I expect most of those are talk based.

Anyone have thoughts or experiences on other therapies?

chlobo is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Internal Family Systems is similar to somatic work so that might be a good match if it sounded interesting. An IFS person might be easier to find.

EMDR is highly recommended for dealing with trauma.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am a therapist. Somatic work (I understand there is no availability that works for you), IFS, and EMDR can all be helpful. However having the right therapist who does not practice any of these can also be helpful. Sounds like there are issues/mismatch of skills to be nice with the therapists you described. I am trained in EMDR that did incorporate somatic work, and have attended some IFS training (but not enough to call myself an IFS therapist, which has strict guidelines). However, I tend to not use any one of these by itself; that is not right or wrong, but I write this to say that I do not identify as an EMDR therapist (although I am trained and utilize some aspects of EMDR) or an IFS therapist, and frequently successfully treat people with trauma. All that to say, that not all therapists who can help you will identify some specific way. I know that may just make things more complicated. If you can find someone with one of these descriptors, great. If you cannot, interview the therapist, talk about why your past therapy was not helpful, and ask how they work with trauma.

*Also, if you are open to telehealth you can look state-wide for a provider your insurance covers who meets your needs. While telehealth is not for everyone, it can be very effective for many who would not think this was the case.
    Last edited by JustMe; 01-19-2023 at 04:16 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

EMDR changed my life.
    7 years after my first son died shortly after birth, I was still having flashbacks and replaying the whole night in my head again and again.
    When my therapist first brought up EMDR, I thought it was a bunch of hooey but I trusted her so I agreed to try it.
    A few days after the second session, I had a breakthrough and I have felt 1000% better ever since. I now have the flashbacks a couple of times a year.
    So that's what I would recommend trying.

I would look for a trauma-informed therapist.
    Modalities like EMDR, Brainspotting, Somatic Experiencing could be helpful.

Agree with a previous poster to check for therapists across your state who could provide therapy through telehealth. It can open up options for you.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you all… I will look into these options. Candanceb- I am so sorry for your loss and glad you found something that worked for you.