Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If you can find a rental on the bay side in Mission Beach, it's probably a little quieter- I love taking my bike and riding around the bay, picking up lunch to eat on the sand, and playing in the water. If you go to Cabrillo, a great spot afterwards is Eppig Brewing- they don't have food but you can bring your own from nearby spots (Pt. Loma Seafoods is great!) and it's such a lovely patio right on the water overlooking the boats: http://www.eppigbrewing.com/waterfront-biergarten

I'd also recommend taking the ferry to Coronado and spend an afternoon wandering around the ferry landing area- there's a fantastic bakery within walking distance (Tartine) and Coronado Brewing is also right there and has good food and beers. If you don't mind walking you can head towards the Hotel Del and pop into stores along Orange Ave as well.

Enjoy your vacation!

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

April weather will be pleasant but swimming in the ocean not so much, if you can find a place with a pool that would be great.

For surf lessons they give you a wetsuit, but tide pooling and kayaking you'd be fine.

Feel free to PM places if you want an opinion on location.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

daisy13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We did a week in Sandiego around New years. We took a city pass that included LEGOLAND, SeaWorld and 3 attractions. We did the Zoo, a day on the hop-on/hop-off city bus and the Maritime museum. We loved the Maritime museum- its set up on a few vintage ships and is a lot of fun. DS (8) loved both Legoland and SeaWorld. SeaWorld was a bit underwhelming for us. We loved eating in the Gaslamp area and driving through Coronado Island.

While choosing between the zoo and the safari park, our friends ( who used to live in SD), recommended the zoo. The Safari charges you for each safari ( ie each habitat area has a safari tour ) and usually crowded too. Both kids loved the zoo. Its huge and beautiful.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am a Dodger fan but Petco Park is the most fun stadium I've ever been to. I definitely recommend going to a game there! And yes to Balboa Park to walk around and check out the museums.
    DD
    DS

daisy13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Also- had some awesome authentic mexican ( or so we thought ) meals in the old town area. Cute Mexican shops too- if you are looking for souvenirs. One thing we forgot to do- we did not take our passports with us. So, couldn't drive into Tijuana for fun. Take your passports if you want to do that..

I would avoid TJ, it's OK, but easier if you have been there before.

For really good Mexican food, try El Zarape in North Park, or if you drive by a worn down looking taco stand with lots of people in line, it's likely the best food ever. A california burrito is one that has French fries in it, sort of weird but just a FYI. There are chains but the local taco places are worth seeking out. Ask the staff at the hotel, look on reddit for local recommendations that are not the typical tourist places.

Old Town is a very touristy area, it depends on if that's your thing or not. It has quite a few restaurants and tourist shops.

Have you found an airbnb yet?

Also, the homeless population is out of control, especially noticeable downtown, in Ocean Beach. Not likely to be dangerous, but just be aware.

The trolley system is pretty easy and safe. You can take it out it to Fashion Valley Mall if shopping is on your list or to downtown depending where you live. Public transportation is not really a thing like in many other places though.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I like San Diego. It’s small and easy to get around. I’ll be the extreme outlier probably and say that the SD Zoo is skippable in favor of the Safari Park instead (a bit of a drive away but worth it). We’re a zoo family and have been to lots. The SD Zoo is certainly a good one but it’s not as unique as the Safari Park. If you can do both then that’s perfect but if only 1? Safari.
    Birch Aquarium at Scripps then walk down to the beach to eat at Caroline’s Seaside Cafe (though I see the Pinpoint Cafe has great reviews and is in the same area). Walk along the beach. Head over to see the sea lions at the Children’s Pool in La Jolla.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Yes, I also recommend Caroline's (think it is actually in La Jolla). It's right on the beach, tasty, and not expensive casual food.

We LOVED a hike that brought us down to the beach at Torrey Pines State Park. It's a really beautiful place in April (we were there last year in April).

I agree the SD Zoo is nice but nothing special if you live in an area that has a good zoo.

There is a very casual, Mexican food chain (small, regional chain) with excellent food. I think it is called The Taco Stand. Just counter service with tables outside but very tasty.
    DD '06
    DD '14

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I like San Diego. It’s small and easy to get around. I’ll be the extreme outlier probably and say that the SD Zoo is skippable in favor of the Safari Park instead (a bit of a drive away but worth it). We’re a zoo family and have been to lots. The SD Zoo is certainly a good one but it’s not as unique as the Safari Park. If you can do both then that’s perfect but if only 1? Safari.
    Birch Aquarium at Scripps then walk down to the beach to eat at Caroline’s Seaside Cafe (though I see the Pinpoint Cafe has great reviews and is in the same area). Walk along the beach. Head over to see the sea lions at the Children’s Pool in La Jolla.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Yes, I also recommend Caroline's (think it is in La Jolla). It's right on the beach, tasty, and not expensive casual food.

We LOVED a hike that brought us down to the beach at Torrey Pines State Park. It's a really beautiful place in April (we were there last year in April).

I agree the SD Zoo is nice but nothing special if you live in an area that has a good zoo.

There is a very casual, Mexican food chain (small, regional chain) with excellent food. I think it is called The Taco Stand. Just counter service with tables outside but very tasty.
    DD '06
    DD '14

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    For really good Mexican food, try El Zarape in North Park, or if you drive by a worn down looking taco stand with lots of people in line, it's likely the best food ever. A california burrito is one that has French fries in it, sort of weird but just a FYI. There are chains but the local taco places are worth seeking out. Ask the staff at the hotel, look on reddit for local recommendations that are not the typical tourist places.

Old Town is a very touristy area, it depends on if that's your thing or not. It has quite a few restaurants and tourist shops.

Have you found an airbnb yet?
    Hi! I've been so behind about the final planning for this trip, sorry I haven't been back to update. First thing, yes we got an AirBnb! It's a funky modern place between Little Italy and Bankers Hill. Had everything we needed (plus off street parking) plus a great view of downtown. We will have a rental car but wondering how doable it would be to walk to the waterfront (say USS Midway or Petco Park)? How safe to walk during day vs night? We have a night game at Petco Park (6:30 game). We've walked around San Francisco and Boston during past trips. I like to think we're city savvy, but not foolish lol.

Thanks to all for the food recommendations! I feel we will have plenty of choices, so not too stressed about that. I have all your suggestions written down

So far our To Do list includes:
    SD Safari Park
    SD Zoo
    USS Midway
    Petco Park baseball game
    Cabrillo Monument (timing it for access to the tidepools)
    Balboa Park (just the trails and free parts at this time- there's not enough time to do it all this trip)
    Coronado (any suggestions for things to do/see/eat? we'll definitely head towards the beach, but other than that, no firm plans)

I'd love to fit in Torrey Pines or La Jolla, but may not have enough time? I'm still finalizing plans, so open to all suggestions!

I'd do either the zoo or safari park but not both. Honestly, animals are animals, if you've never been to a zoo I'd go, but I would do things you can't do in other cities (there are good zoos all over the country).

Yes to LaJolla, maybe do a kayak tour at the Cove, but definitely don't miss that.

I would Uber or take the trolley from your airbnb, don't tire yourselves our getting there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast