Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    I can understand screening for abuse and having time to discuss sensitive or embarrassing issues privately, but to wholesale ban parents from their child's medical care is not the solution. That leaves them open to abuse by medical providers along with the potential for receiving improper care when they are not mature enough to manage medical issues. See the concussion example above. No way were my kids at 12 able to communicate effectively in a medical setting (or even now for the 15 and 17 year olds) nor can they really provide informed consent for treatments that may have life-long implications.
    I agree. The privacy afforded to minors is very necessary but wholesale ban on online access isn’t the answer either. My kids pediatrician is doing what others do; allow me in exam room, then I leave for their confidential conversation. It’s working nicely for us so far, and I was so glad my oldest had that privacy because he disclosed that he was worried about his weight (overweight) when he was far from it. I had no idea of his deep worries until the ped shared with me later, so we could address ds1 concerns proactively.

Also my oldest would have totally be telling his concussion provider he was fine, etc cuz he wouldn’t want to lose out more time from his soccer team. So at 12 years old is no way mature to decide on his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It varies state by state depending on the laws. We "lose" access here at 14, but you can set up an account a special account you can make appointments with and pay bills. You can get lab results from the provider; they are not going to no tell you information to make informed decisions on your teens care options. It is just something to work around, it hasn't affected his care or me advocating for him.

It's inconvenient for many of us here, but it is very necessary, if not lifesaving, for many teens. Be grateful you don't need to know the particulars. Of course, the parents around me all think they need access to the adult kids' medical stuff, which I think it just a tad much, so I'm probably an outlier.
    Last edited by dogmom; 01-26-2023 at 10:26 PM.

DS turned 13 last month. I just checked, and I still have access to everything on the portal. But this is good reminder to ask when it does happen.

DS is sweet but a bit immature. I've sat in the examine room with him for years while he's grunted one-word answers and half explanations about what's going on. He just doesn't speak. I believe I'll be able to sit in for most visits, but I'm fine leaving for a few minutes.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My DC is over 18, but medically complicated. They still want me to accompany them to all appointments (except their physical) and help manage appointments/tests/ect. I try not to say much, but DC wants me there because I have all the background knowledge of what has came before. I still take notes and remind the doctors of things that have already been done. DC generally knows the big picture stuff, but with 8 years of background information, they want me there. I always give them the choice of me being in the appointment or not.

My goal is to slowly reduce my need to be there, but for now, things are still complicated. Once we have a diagnosis (if it ever happens), DC will, hopefully, be able to manage on their own.

For those of you with teens/tweens, it's a process, start now.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is turning into quite a learning experience! One of DS's portals that I thought I had full access to, I actually don't. It's so minimal that I didn't even notice until now. I have access to DS's appointments, appointment summaries, ability to message doctor but I don't have access to his "letters". So I can't print off the return to gym note that the doctor put in there. Instead, I have to request that they give me access to it, and then they'll give me access to it. They also mail it to me without me asking, so I can wait a few days to get it. I've always wondered why I couldn't see his food allergy plan but never really researched it because they print off a new one at each visit. Now I know. I lost the letter access at 11 apparently. Some of this just blows my mind. I asked for the school note via the portal, but I can't print off the school note without requesting access to it, yet they mail it to me without me asking for it.

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't have access to anything in the portal but the visits are structured to allow DDs to go back first for exam and discussion and then I'm called in at the end. DD1 has said that she is always asked if she would like me to come back to discuss the visit and also if there is anything she doesn't want the doctor to discuss when I'm back there. I find that set up helpful. DD gets time alone to discuss her issues, and also has a say in what is and is not discuss with me, but I also get time to ask questions and get clarification instead of trying to figure out what the MD told the kid.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

I'm in TX, and I'm pretty sure I lost access when DD turned 18. It's been a mess because she is 100% irresponsible and does not manage or pay attention to anything. I just check to make sure, and I still have access to the 13 and 16 yo.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    I'm in TX, and I'm pretty sure I lost access when DD turned 18. It's been a mess because she is 100% irresponsible and does not manage or pay attention to anything. I just check to make sure, and I still have access to the 13 and 16 yo.
    18 makes sense since they are an adult. I was discussing the "paperwork" of turning 18 with a friend whose son is three years older than DC. Her son had just changed all his passwords, so she no longer had access to anything. She was really concerned, but it did work out; the first step to independence. My DC does not want the responsibility yet so has given me all their passwords and has signed releases with their medical professionals so I can still discuss and help manage appointments, ect. DC knows they can "lock me out" at anytime and that is okay. When they are ready, they will "take over".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3