Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay to Play

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Pay to Play

Just curious how many schools require a fee to play high school sports. Our school has a $50 fee for each sport and to be honest, I have no idea what it's for.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No fee
    I assume it covers things like buses, team uniforms, overhead costs, refs…

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Default Pay to Play

No. Is that even legal at a public school? We don’t have to pay for anything. For swimming, team suits and caps are required, but I assume there’s a way to get around that if necessary. For track, they give out uniforms (you have got return them at the end of the season), but you need to buy your own shoes and spikes (obviously). All the teams offer shirts and hoodies for purchase. There is also a voluntary fund for things like senior night, coaches gifts,etc. that is run by a parent volunteer. Usually the suggested donation is $35.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 01-24-2023 at 12:40 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids aren't in sports, but for the arts classes/extracurriculars at their high school, there are "fair share" payments that cover things like sheet music, licensing fees, uniforms, competitions, etc. It's $100/year for chorus and iirc, several hundred dollars (possibly as high as $1k?) for marching band, though in both cases, money is built into the budget to help out families that can't afford the fee.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

None. When I was growing up we had a "towel" fee, but that was for the cost of washing the towels during sports seasons. If I remember correctly, it was very inexpensive.

Yes, high school boys soccer was approx $35 fee to the school, plus a suggested donation ($60 IIRC) to the soccer fund (organized by moms not the school), and we were encouraged to join the booster club ($50+) which provides meals and drinks to athletes for away games. It was still SO much cheaper than club soccer!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Us too, about the same. Middle school is $150! We are a small district for middle school and can’t get buses. The cost is associated with charter bus retention.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

in CT we pay to play. Currently $165.00 per sport. Football provides pads and helmets but lacrosse does not.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    No. Is that even legal at a public school? We don’t have to pay for anything. For swimming, team suits and caps are required, but I assume there’s a way to get around that if necessary. For track, they give out uniforms (you have got return them at the end of the season), but you need to buy your own shoes and spikes (obviously). All the teams offer shirts and hoodies for purchase. There is also a voluntary fund for things like senior night, coaches gifts,etc. that is run by a parent volunteer. Usually the suggested donation is $35.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That was the question that sparked my question! None of the other schools around us do it. I was talking to someone and they didn't even know schools could still do that, so I was curious what others schools did. My understanding is that the athletic boosters pay for all of the uniforms, new equipment, etc. The school only pays for the coach and bussing as far as I know and we just use school busses. The fee goes to the school though, not the boosters. Kids have to buy their own swim suits, shoes for track, etc like you mentioned.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

There are "donations" here for our choir program, but there are lots of fundraising opportunities and options for those that can't cover the amount. It's pretty $$$ but covers costumes, competition busses, choreographers, other travel etc. I see sports and other activities fundraising, so I assume there are also fees, but have no idea what those are.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast