Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay to Play

Yes, high school sports has a $45 fee. It's only charged once per year, no matter how many sports a student plays. I believe families with financial hardships can have it waived.

I thought there was also a charge in middle school, but DS played soccer this year and his coach never said anything about it.

I think it might go toward covering a bus driver, and now that I think about it, DS' coach was certified to drive so maybe that's why we didn't pay.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    No. Is that even legal at a public school? We don’t have to pay for anything. For swimming, team suits and caps are required, but I assume there’s a way to get around that if necessary. For track, they give out uniforms (you have got return them at the end of the season), but you need to buy your own shoes and spikes (obviously). All the teams offer shirts and hoodies for purchase. There is also a voluntary fund for things like senior night, coaches gifts,etc. that is run by a parent volunteer. Usually the suggested donation is $35.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Our teams raise $15k-$20k each for fundraising, completely outside that fee, which goes to the school.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I'm in Southern CA and for my daughter's drama class at her public school they ask for a $200 donation. They also ask for a $200 donation for any production she is in during the school year. There are 3 possible shows during the year, along with a performance that is limited to her class. The budget for the Spring musical was 38K last year, so even though the shows are sold out, ticket sales won't cover the expenses. They rent lighting, costumes, hire a choreographer, lighting designer, vocal coach, etc. I've heard from a friend of mine that compared to cheerleading costs, the drama fees are a bargain.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, there is a fee to play high school sports here. It tends to run about $180/sport. There is a considerable discount for those who qualify for free or reduced lunch. I had no idea this type of fee was so unusual.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Pay to Play

My kid goes to a Catholic (diocesan supported) school and sports fees are $250 per sport. If you play three sports you get the third one for free. It is cheap compared to other private schools in our the SoCal region but probably on par with the rival Catholic high school in a nearby city. This includes transportation to and from games and rental of athletic facilities (the school rents fields for all sports but volleyball, basketball and wrestling….most facilities are rented from the city or school district and are close to the school; the football field is at a local community college).

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoalyssa View Post
    …..I've heard from a friend of mine that compared to cheerleading costs, the drama fees are a bargain.
    I would believe that to be true.

Dance/Cheerleaders are the one team at my DD’s school that doesn’t require the $250 sports specific fee, but there are soo many other costs included especially if the school competes. This year alone we have paid $100 for new shoes, warmups, bows, and an extra set of poms. Dance Camp was $700+, and dance nationals (next week) is $1300 (including air fare, ground transportation, hotel for 5 nights, and 3 days at WDW). We have one competition this weekend but most schools do multiple competitions throughout the competition season and have multiple teams (dance, Pom, lyrical, cheer, and jazz). I anticipate the same costs next year as well. Her team spent the bulk of last year fundraising and will have to fundraise again after nationals. TBH I wish the football program would absorb some of the costs but they don’t because they aren’t a major powerhouse that can support it (they have major debt of their own). The high school that DD1 most likely would’ve went to (had we not moved) is the sister school to the top D-1 high school football program in the nation and they took their cheerleaders/dance team (Dd has friends on those squads) to Texas at the beginning of last season when they played at AT&T Stadium in Dallas. I am sure there was some parent contribution needed but I am sure the football program covered the bulk of the costs. That schools song team fees (which happened to be listed on their website) are
    $1319.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-24-2023 at 09:10 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our district started it when my kids were in elem. school. It’s $50 per kid per year for MS and HS, but is capped at either $100 or $150 for families with multiple students. It is all sports plus some music groups and clubs that meet after school for practice. I’m
    Not sure what it covers, as many sports and the music department have Booster Clubs that run fundraisers or have a mandatory opt out fee. The Music Boosters let’s students earn money towards trips (they have individual accounts it goes into, not to the whole group. If you don’t fundraise enough you pay out of pocket). My oldest daughter has participated in MS Cross Country and HS track and tennis an their uniforms are ancient, so it isn’t going towards that. Though the football team gets new uniforms and field turf frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Public high school - depends on the sport. Our district gives each school less than $1000 per year total for sports. That leaves each school to essentially pay for the vast majority of athletics , including field maintenance, officiating fees, uniforms, and transportation. Our high school has a booster club that raises money through memberships, concession sales, ticket sales etc. they give some to each sport but that still doesn’t cover everything. Each sport handles raising funds differently but there is no across the board mandatory fee. The soccer team asks for a donation from each family and gives a suggested amount ($200 this past fall). I’m pretty sure they do not expect the donation from everyone. Some pay more, some probably less or none. The lacrosse team actually has a pretty hefty fee - I’m pretty sure I paid over $600 last year once it was all said and done. I do prefer giving straight money over asking friends and family to participate in fundraising.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

At our least expensive area private school the athletic fee is $1000.
    K

Public high school and yes, there is a fee. The fees range between $200 and $630 per sport. Most of the sports are in the $300 range. Ice hockey and skiing are the most expensive. $50 sounds like a bargain to me!

I went to public school in the same state and there was also a fee back then to play high school sports.
    Last edited by ett; 01-24-2023 at 06:02 PM.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

JV Tennis "donation" is $650.
    DD
    DS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast