Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Block scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    What kind of block schedule? I’m pretty much an expert now since DD (16) did a research project for AP Lang on block scheduling and high school performance.

4x4 block: students take 4 classes at a time, 90 minute classes, same classes every single day, you complete and entire semester in a quarter and an entire year in a semester. Not a good option since kids only have math/language for half the year. Also bad for AP classes since you either finish in mid-January and have to study for the AP in May or you don’t start until mid-January and you have to crunch everything in. Plus it’s bad if you are taking the ACT/SAT/PSAT and aren’t taking math then. (We do have an option for a “skinny” for kids who do band/chorus, so they can take music all year. It’s often paired with a basic class like English/biology or other required courses, like PE and health. That is only second block and only available to kids in band and chorus.)

Alternating block: there are many versions of this. Some schools a block schedule every day, and only have 4 classes a day, but 8 classes total. Other schools combine block and traditional scheduling, so that they have 2 or 4 blocked days with 3 or 1 traditional days. This combination seems to have the best outcomes. You have the class all year, but there’s a combo of shorter days then longer days for in depth study (science labs, group projects). There is pretty much one school with every type on my metro area: 4x4 block, traditional, alternating block (with all types of different alternating versions.)

Some kids like longer classes, some don’t. Some teachers are not very good at teaching with the block. Some will just lecture the whole time, and that’s obviously super boring for kids. Hopefully your school will offer professional development about how to teach on the block schedule…breaking activities up, giving kids breaks.

DD interviewed a bunch of teachers and students from several different districts in our area in addition to comparing things like AP test scores and number of national merit semifinalists at the various schools.

Annie, I can’t see the schedule well enough to determine what kind of block it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It is the following:

School is in session 7:45 to 2:25 Monday through Thursday. Friday is 7:45 to 12:25.

Monday: all classes 1-7 are 45 minutes; 1-15 minute break after the first two periods, and 1-40 minute lunch break.

Tuesday:
    Classes 1, break, 3, break, 5, lunch, and 7

Wednesday:
    Classes 2, break, 4, break, home room, lunch, and 6

Thursday:
    Classes 1, break, 3, break, 5, lunch, and 7

Friday:
    Classe 2, break, 4, break, and 6

If they have a pep rally/special mass or other assembly then they have those either during homeroom hour on Wednesday or they switch to a 1/2 day on Wednesday and have a full day of school on a Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a rotating block schedule with 8 blocks total and 6 each day. I am completely confused by it, but DD ('22 grad) had no issues.
    It was implemented at the middle school this year and DS1 (8th) seems completely with it but I think it may have messed up some of the classes that had previously been done as A day or B day so the kids could take a half year of material across a full year (done in 6th for music and foreign language classes).

HS only has an alternating block schedule. All 7 hours Monday, Tuesday, Friday - 45 minute classes. Block days 90 minute classes - Wednesday - odd hours (1,3,5,7) and Thursday - even hours (2,4,6). The extra time on Thursday is used for a late start and and what they call seminar (grade specific class time that is used for lots of pep assemblies).

My kids like it to have the longer time for lab classes and some types of tests. Also gave some wiggle room for homework nights based on activities in the middle of the week.

20-21 year they did block every day rotating odd/even and no one liked it but there were so many other things going on to make that a mess.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    HS only has an alternating block schedule. All 7 hours Monday, Tuesday, Friday - 45 minute classes. Block days 90 minute classes - Wednesday - odd hours (1,3,5,7) and Thursday - even hours (2,4,6). The extra time on Thursday is used for a late start and and what they call seminar (grade specific class time that is used for lots of pep assemblies).

My kids like it to have the longer time for lab classes and some types of tests. Also gave some wiggle room for homework nights based on activities in the middle of the week.

20-21 year they did block every day rotating odd/even and no one liked it but there were so many other things going on to make that a mess.
    I have pushed our school to do this type of modified block.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD had block scheduling in HS (4 classes per term, days rotating through A and B) and hated it. Everyone hates it, but her district is top rated in the state so they persist. As others mentioned, the gap between sequential classes is really difficult for foreign language and math classes, and AP classes in relation to the May tests are a mess.

In addition, if the student doesn't care for more than 1 of their classes, they are suffering through at least half a day of boring/difficult/unpleasant school work or classmates. And the rotating A/B was challenging since it isn't always that MWF is A and T TH is B - it switches around by design and then gets additionally adjusted when there's a day off school so you literally have to check every day to see if it's A or B.
    Moneypenny
    DD is 19!

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our High school is A/B block scheduling so the kids have different scheduled classes on A days vs B days. The middle school had the same set up for DD1 but switched for DD2. DD2 had math and English every day for 45 minutes each and then the other classes were 90 minutes on the A/B rotation. I've never asked the teachers what they prefer and my kids have never known anything different so don't find it difficult or confusing to keep up with what day it is, but I grew up having every class ever day so it seems really confusing to me.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2