Default Talk to Me About Belize

I would like to go away for a week between Christmas and New Years in 2023. I realize that's high travel time and expensive, but that's when we can go. I would like to go somewhere warm but we are not sit on the beach people. We like to snorkel, zip line, do nature hikes, etc. We have been to Costa Rica. I am now looking at Belize.

Here is what I am thinking:
    Fly into Belize City via Houston and then take a shuttle or drive ourselves 2-3 hours to the Cayo Region to stay in a jungle lodge near San Ignacio
    We would spend one day exploring--butterfly farm, iguana hatchery, botanical garden, etc.
    Next day do a tour to Tikal with a guide/group/driver etc
    Maybe a third day--canoeing/kayaking in a cave, zip lining etc. (or head to the beach)
    Next day, travel to Ambergris Caye (or only do the cave kayaking the day before and go back to the beach in the afternoon, which would give us 3 days on the beach or make the trip just 7 days vs. 8)
    Spend 2 days snorkeling
    Travel home

Has anybody done something similar? I will get on Trip Advisor and Fodors but thought I would ask here if anybody had tips or knew of places to stay. TIA!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That’s a very similar itinerary to what we did in Belize about a decade ago (kid free trip). We hired a driver and glad we did because it made things super simple the driver provided a wealth of great info.
    We stayed at https://www.mayamountain.com Back then, the food was great and we enjoyed the trip. It’s a bit outside of time but walkable.
    We hired a guide to take us on an overnight visit to Tikal. Staying in the park was amazing. We woke up early to climb to the top of a tower and watch the jungle come to life. At the time you weren’t allowed to climb the sunrise side. It was still super magical.
    The ATM caves were one of my life highlights. Hiked through the jungle and swam into the caves. Climbed to see artifacts. If you can still do this, do it.
    On the way to Ambergis Caye we went to the Belize Zoo. It was good.
    We stayed at https://matachica.com What an awesome resort! I would gladly go back to our beachfront casita and enjoy the hotel amenities but i don’t really want to go back to Ambergis Caye. Now, I hate snorkeling and that’s a big draw. I was underwhelmed by the man made beach but it’s also because I hadn’t really considered what it would be like- dig your toes in enough and you hit concrete. The winds were the other challenge. Like while eating chips and salsa, the individual chips kept blowing away. they said you either deal with the high winds or the bugs. Walking back away from the coast was bug city. They had lodging tucked back there but I’d avoid it.
    We had a great trip despite bugs, winds…. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We did a similar trip six years or so ago at winter break. We divided eight days evenly between the Cayo District and Placencia - so we skipped Ambergris - and it was a good division of time. I'd go Cayo first, then coast. It was a great trip - we went cave tubing, hiking, swam in waterfalls, went horseback riding and did a full day trip into Guatamala and Tikal and then in Placencia we went deep sea fishing, snorkeling to the outer cayes, paddle boarding and kayaking. The kids loved it. We stayed at the Coppola properties, which were fabulous - amazing food, knowledgeable guides, we did an organic garden tour and cooking class that the kids loved.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

here is my trip report from a few years ago.
    https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...ghlight=belize
    Hiring a driver is a good idea unless you are chill about being lost/asking a lot.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07