SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Any recent NYC trip reports?

Headed to NYC for maybe my 10th visit but first visit without kids in tow. If you have been recently- with ot without kids- tell me some of your highlights, wish you'd dones, best bites (worst bites?), favorite neighborhood... I have some firm things on my itinerary and some roughly pencilled but still a good amount of free time to fill

We went over Labor Day for just one day. My kids loved the Summit One Vanderbilt (alternative to the Empire State and top of the rock) and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. I would have preferred to spend the day in the Met
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I missed the Salem Witch Trials exhibit at the New-York Historical Society (so p!ssed bc I wanted to go so badly!!) but want to make sure I get there to see the developed-at-the-Skirball-Center "I'll Have What She's Having" exhibit about Jewish Delis. If you know how to get to AMNH, NY Historical Society is literally 1 block down (if AMNH is 81st, NY History is like 79th/80th) and SO worth your time. Tiny place, but chock full of all kinds of great stuff to see!

DD and I could spend weeks in the Met and still not see everything; we went last spring & hung out in our favorite spots, snapped selfies, and generally horsed around together. She was extremely patient going through the Costume Institute (we were there for "Made in America" ... IDK how I feel about the Lagerfeld retrospective that the Gala is themed around, though) because she prefers the Temple of Dendur and "William."

There's also the newly-opened Museum of Broadway in Times Square; haven't been yet, but many of the Broadway actors/enthusiasts I follow on Insta have gone, including my favorite person in the world, Javier Muñoz, and they have given it their stamps of approval. I need to check how much longer the NY/NJ/CT residents admission for $29 deal I saw runs because that's a sweet price.

Not sure how long it's playing, but Anthony Rapp's solo show, adapted from his memoir of the same title, Without You, just opened at NY Theatre Workshop (like, literally just opened as in last night 1/25) ...

Coming soon: the Josh Groban-led Sweeney Todd revival opens for previews on 2/25 ... and I wish I could see it. (Sweeney Todd is my favorite musical of all time.)

I also recommend walking across the Brooklyn Bridge; this is probably my favorite NYC thing to have ever done!
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 01-26-2023 at 02:36 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We went over Christmas with the kids (teens) and had a very NYC Christmas experience. Great time, but very seasonal.

We loved Hadestown and would absolutely see it again. We also really enjoyed a UN Tour. We finally tried a cronut and did really enjoy it. My favorite meal was Bar Verde - it was incredible. We also really enjoyed Modern Love in Brooklyn, but that's a vegan thing. We finally made it to Tom's Restaurant for breakfast - very Seinfeld kitsch, but fun.

I’m not sure when you’re going. But I love biking over Brooklyn bridge/or even walk.

My favorite museum right now is tenement museum. Such an awesome small museum that’s really interesting.

Catch a show at Comedy Central if you like stand ups and comedy. I love having a drink at the attaboy bar at Lower East Side, as it’s fairly quick car ride for me through Lincoln bridge.

Lizzywednesday got a lot of great suggestions especially the Broadway museum as I heard about that too. Love to go soon too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Thanks, all!! I’m going in February. Walking the BB has long been on my list but definitely weather dependent.
    Dh and ds2 go later in the spring to see Sweeney Todd (it’s not a show I love).
    I heard the Tenement Museum is in temporary digs or something like that and it’s not the same. I’ll read up some more though.
    So many great things for me to add to my list

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

We went to the Tenement Museum in October and some of the apartments were relocated because of buildings being refurbished but the tours were still on. DD and I enjoyed it a lot.

We enjoyed the Merchant House museum too. It's small and took an hour or so.

When we went in 2018 we enjoyed the Moving Image Museum.

Have fun!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Kris