Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Teeth cleaning with metal braces

Took DD13 to her regular teeth cleaning the first time after she got her braces about 4 months ago. Hygienist said her teeth were not being cleaned well. She does brush twice a day and we even have a waterpick for her to help her clean with the braces. She had a lot of plaque and there was inflammation in the gums and they were bleeding during the cleaning process 😂. The hygienist showed her how to brush and give her some small brushes to go between the braces and teeth... Hygienist scared my dd that if she doesn't take care of her teeth after the braces come of they would be white lines where the braces were.. any other tips for us on how to take care of her teeth we don't want any white stains when the braces come off.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Does she use an electric toothbrush? We have the ortho heads for DS’s toothbrush that supposedly clean better around braces. No idea if it’s true, but the ortho sells the heads for $5 so that’s what we’re using. He also uses mouthwash daily. They recommended Crest tarter control but I can’t find that one anymore. So we just use the closest one I can find that mentions controlling tarter. He also uses the brushes you mentioned and the floss that is thicker and reminds me of a rolled up dryer sheet. It’s not thin, but white and spongy looking. DS does not always brush twice a day but he’s had them almost three years and supposedly this is working. I remember worrying about those white marks when I had braces.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think it is a crap shoot as far as the white lines go. The worst thing I drank or ate when I had braces was Diet Coke and maybe some gummy bears and I brushed my teeth religiously and I had white lines. Neither of my DDs had white lines when they got their braces off and tbh dd2 gets lazy with her teeth brushing and tbh they are way more crap than I did when I had braces on. Dd2 does get hers back on in the next year for phase 2.

I ended up getting my teeth bleached the summer before my senior year in high school. I have one cavity in my mouth (got it at 22 and it was filled in minutes with no novocaine). Dd1 has a mouth full of sealants. She is very good about her dental hygiene overall though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Does she have a Sonicare? (or similar). I really like those for kids with braces on (or honestly, just in general). It’s definitely important as we do see the decalcification a lot…or cavities in those kids who can’t lay off the Mountain Dew. Teenagers are tough. It’s the best time to do braces, but they are the least compliant patients. Even my own. I have them in Invisalign, but my 18 year old is so bad about wearing them enough…
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes she has the sonicate toothbrush... I mostly just look for Fluoride to be in her toothpaste.. Should I be looking for a tartar control toothpaste?

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Teeth cleaning with metal braces

Both my girls have sonicares. Dd2 got one when she got one with her braces (it was included in her treatment plan) but she went back to using the quip brush almost immediately. Dd2 said she doesn’t like how the sonicare feels. Dd1 really started using hers again after she got her braces off, and had been using a manual or quip
    brush prior. She only doesn’t use it when she travels. We had a Sonicare Kids and an OralB kids and they were inconsistent about using them. They much preferred manual toothbrushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    Yes she has the sonicate toothbrush... I mostly just look for Fluoride to be in her toothpaste.. Should I be looking for a tartar control toothpaste?
    Focus on the technique the hygienist showed her and using the timer on the brush to make sure she gets the timing right. A fluoride toothpaste should be adequate. Also encourage her to follow all meals and snacks with water if she can’t brush.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Our ortho checks the brushing at every visit. I'd discuss your concerns with the ortho as well as you see them so much more frequently. The only time DD has been told she wasn't brushing well enough they took pictures of her teeth and printed them off and sent them out with detailed instructions for brushing better. We've only had the issue once (although I called them once and asked them to give her a hard time about her refusal to brush at school but alas they said that most kids don't and that many schools won't let them.) The decalcification is a real concern and cleaning between the bracket and gums can be tough. I have white decalcification marks on my teeth from being in braces. I remember my ortho threatened that if I didn't shape up with brushing they'd take the braces off. At least one of them has become a cavity (I don't remember if more than one has required filling). My kids both brush much better with an electric toothbrush with a small head. They also luckily inherited DHs teeth genes. I talk to them all the time about what a pain it is to end up with cavities/ root canals/ decalcification. Ultimately they have to take it seriously and do a good job caring for their own teeth.

ETA: Our ortho makes the kids sign a braces care contract and shows them pictures of what it looks like if your teeth get damaged when you don't brush correctly in braces. If the hygienist only talked to her about the decalcification and she hasn't seen what it looks like I'd absolutely google up a picture. It is no good.
    Last edited by Snow mom; 01-31-2023 at 05:12 PM.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Electric toothbrush flossing/ proxy brush and a water pic The soniccare brush should have beeps and run for 2 minutes make sure shes brushing for the full time a fluoride rise before bed is also helpful tartar control is not necessary sounds like the hygienist was talking about soft plaque that just needs brushed better I had both kid and adult braces and LOVED my waterpik We are doing invisaline for DS4 for that very reason I know he wont brush well enough
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

AmyZ is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

When my kids have braces, I always taken them for extra cleanings. No, not covered by insurance - I just pay $99 per visit. They don't see the dentist, just the hygienist. It helps tremendously.
    Our string quartet is complete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast