Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help…heavy period in teenager!

So DD (16) has heavy, irregular periods. She went on the pill in June to regulate them, but she started having breakthrough bleeding, and we ended up switching to a different pill (triphasic) in December. And now it’s even worse. She’s on her second pill pack and she’s had her period for three weeks straight. Primary care doctor is says may need a stronger pill. Any other ideas? Weight gain is a concern. She’s not sexually active, but I assume that will change once she starts college in a little over 1.5 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Does she want to stick with a pill? Or is she interested in trying something like an IUD or implant?
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Does she want to stick with a pill? Or is she interested in trying something like an IUD or implant?
    She’s open to whatever at this point. She’s had bleeding for 3 weeks straight now. Weight gain is a concern though, so she doesn’t want the shot. I’m a little apprehensive about the IUD because of some horror stories (here!) about insertion. And she’s obviously never had a baby or had sex, so I assume it would be quite painful. Plus it seems like some people have lots of bleeding the first few months with an IUD. I left a message with her PCP to brainstorm ideas.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

If she was my daughter, based on my own experience and my regrets that I didn't receive treatment until much later in life, I would take her to an adolescent gynecologist. Sounds like it's beyond the expertise of the PCP.

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    If she was my daughter, based on my own experience and my regrets that I didn't receive treatment until much later in life, I would take her to an adolescent gynecologist. Sounds like it's beyond the expertise of the PCP.
    We definitely don’t have an adolescent gynecologist in our area. PCP said to try one more BCP with higher level of hormones (the two she’s tried previously are pretty low dose), and she said if that doesn’t work, then she will refer DD out to gynecology. FWIW, DD’s cycles weren’t that irregular before the pill. Just medium/heavy and her cycles were pretty short. But the pill has made things worse.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Definitely see a regular gyn, they deal with teens. My daughter probably has endometriosis and has seen a gynecologist since she was 12, her pediatrician referred her. They will help you figure things out.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD has only seen a gynecologist, her Ped was not comfortable prescribing birth control and we wanted to start her for heavy and irregular periods. I'd get an appointment with a gyn asap.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Help…heavy period in teenager!

Of course this is a huge ymmv situation but I had great luck with Ortho Novum 1/35-28 for the bulk of the time I was on birth control. I did try Ortho Tri Cycline and I gained 10 to 15lbs in the two months I was on it and never lost the weight. I was 22 though when that happened. I don’t even know if they make those pills anymore though.

I also didn’t gain weight on the mini pill (but I was also breast feeding while on it) and had pretty regular periods for six or seven months total I was on it after DDs were born.

I would definitely talk to the doctor about the continuous bleeding but if prior to starting the pill the periods were just heavy and not 3 weeks long I would just deal with the heavy periods and use a super plus tampon all of the time. I mean I would still be concerned about it but just get her off the birth control. Super Plus tampons have been my friend since I was 16-17 years old (or maybe once I really got the hang of tampons). I like Tampax Radiant the best. On a really heavy day I can go through one in about 2 to 2/1/2 hours though and a regular in an hour, and a super in 60-90 minutes. Tampax Radiant brand makes Ultra Plus tampons now as well. These are regular full size applicator tampons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Of course this is a huge ymmv situation but I had great luck with Ortho Novum 1/35-28 for the bulk of the time I was on birth control. I did try Ortho Tri Cycline and I gained 10 to 15lbs in the two months I was on it and never lost the weight. I was 22 though when that happened. I don’t even know if they make those pills anymore though.

I also didn’t gain weight on the mini pill (but I was also breast feeding while on it) and had pretty regular periods for six or seven months total I was on it after DDs were born.

I would definitely talk to the doctor about the continuous bleeding but if prior to starting the pill the periods were just heavy and not 3 weeks long I would just deal with the heavy periods and use a super plus tampon all of the time. I mean I would still be concerned about it but just get her off the birth control. Super Plus tampons have been my friend since I was 16-17 years old (or maybe once I really got the hang of tampons). I like Tampax Radiant the best. On a really heavy day I can go through one in about 2 to 2/1/2 hours though and a regular in an hour, and a super in 60-90 minutes. Tampax Radiant brand makes Ultra Plus tampons now as well. These are regular full size applicator tampons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have all the tampon sizes…including super plus and ultra. I don’t necessarily want her off BCP, in part because I think it helps control her acne, and I live in a state that doesn’t value a woman’s right to choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had periods like this when I was a teen. Heavy and long. Then short time in between, and we'd start all over. I wish my mom had done something, so kudos to you for helping her figure this out! At this point I think I'd take her to a gynecologist. When I finally got on the pill, I just got them from my pcp and it was a guessing game as to what worked. I didn't have good luck with any of them until I went to a gyno.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast