Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default So that was January…

In the past month:
    *got back on New Year’s day from traveling to visit parents
    * I got COVID over a week later, the day before my son’s birthday. Thankfully mild case but obviously affected my ability to exercise for next several weeks
    * Re-org was announced at work, and i was made head of a new group within our department (which is awesome, though a bit overwhelming, as I just started a couple months ago, still coming up to speed and I’ve never been a people manager before!).
    *Passports for DS and DD (which we applied for rush service, back in December) are extremely delayed, sitting in USPS office in Arkansas somewhere (now have been sitting there for over 3 weeks) and passport office nor USPS is of any help at all. We need these for our spring break trip in early March. Travel agent is needing our passports to book domestic travel at our location, but can’t due to this delay.
    *My mom (who has Parkinson’s ,anxiety and various other issues) often texting me or calling me to complain about this or that, that she had to go to ER the other day bc she was worried about x or y, etc. My dad calling/texting me to call or text my mom so she has someone to talk to, but when I do, she just complains she is not doing well and to get my dad to come help her. My mom calling me crying/screaming complaining about my dad.
    *I book trip for this weekend to visit my mom (have to take 2 days off work). I have to take time to book flight and I have to book airbnb, rental car bc my parents are so complicated (long story, don’t ask).
    * DD (11) got her braces on Monday , complains she can’t eat anything bc her teeth hurt, having to prepare soft foods
    * Ice storm here in Texas cancelled school yesterday and today
    *Cleaning lady (normally comes every other week) has not come to our house since early December, so more than 6 weeks, due to the holidays, various ice storms, my covid exposure, etc - so house is total mess
    *As I’ve been swamped my poor DH has been handling basically everything with the house (dinner prep, grocery shopping, kids appointment) - i feel bad he has been burdened so much.

I’m tired and overwhelmed. I know this is horrible to say, but I hate taking care of people. I’m not good at it and it’s exhausting and draining and gives me awful anxiety and depression. I had a very very hard time when my kids were little and I was a SAHM and my DH traveled a lot. Now they are old enough to be independent , my DH works from home and I have a new job I am excited to do well at. Yet my focus and energy are completely shot, and it kills me.

Wow, that sounds super overwhelming. I’m tired just reading the list of things you’ve dealt with in January. Fingers crossed you passports arrive soon and you can enjoy your spring break trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm so sorry for your horrible January. I'm like you...not good at taking care of others. It does not fill my cup at all. Hugs to you and here's hoping your February is more peaceful.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Wow, that sounds super overwhelming. I’m tired just reading the list of things you’ve dealt with in January. Fingers crossed you passports arrive soon and you can enjoy your spring break trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks!! Once we get those I’ll be more relaxed! DH is freaking out about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I'm so sorry for your horrible January. I'm like you...not good at taking care of others. It does not fill my cup at all. Hugs to you and here's hoping your February is more peaceful.
    Thank you for saying this. I feel so bad as i think as moms were conditioned to always be taking care of others. I absolutely hate it though. I hate it whenever DH gets sick (i would rather be sick myself). Having toddlers was rough and i love having older kids. So this situation with my mom is gotten to be untenable. I was just there a month ago for over a week, and now i have to go again, and in between i am getting calls and texts. Ironically my mom loved (still likes, to some extent) taking care of others in need, thrives on it even. She is very social and always has to have friends and always needs to be talking to somebody, all.the.time. My dad is not like that at all and understandably is overwhelmed too. I never thought of myself as an introvert but i guess i am in this regard…i need space to focus and not be interrupted regularly by someone needing something. I feel like i earned my scars from that already in the early 2010s with two kiddos a year apart.

thank u all for letting me vent!!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 02-01-2023 at 02:48 PM.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post

I’m tired and overwhelmed. I know this is horrible to say, but I hate taking care of people. I’m not good at it and it’s exhausting and draining and gives me awful anxiety and depression.
    Me too. And I do it, because of course we do, but I'm no good at it and I really, really resent it - and then feel awful for that. For me, I'm sure it's because my mom was chronically ill so that's what life was as a teen - but man, I'm 47 now and still just no good at it.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm going stir crazy being stuck at home for two days and now school is cancelled again for tomorrow! I'm so sorry January was so hard. I think it's great you are admitting that you are not cut out for caretaking. I'm totally over it and desperately trying to get my DH and kids to do more for themselves. Hang in there! The thaw is coming soon.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    In the past month:
    *got back on New Year’s day from traveling to visit parents
    * I got COVID over a week later, the day before my son’s birthday. Thankfully mild case but obviously affected my ability to exercise for next several weeks
    * Re-org was announced at work, and i was made head of a new group within our department (which is awesome, though a bit overwhelming, as I just started a couple months ago, still coming up to speed and I’ve never been a people manager before!).
    *Passports for DS and DD (which we applied for rush service, back in December) are extremely delayed, sitting in USPS office in Arkansas somewhere (now have been sitting there for over 3 weeks) and passport office nor USPS is of any help at all. We need these for our spring break trip in early March. Travel agent is needing our passports to book domestic travel at our location, but can’t due to this delay.
    *My mom (who has Parkinson’s ,anxiety and various other issues) often texting me or calling me to complain about this or that, that she had to go to ER the other day bc she was worried about x or y, etc. My dad calling/texting me to call or text my mom so she has someone to talk to, but when I do, she just complains she is not doing well and to get my dad to come help her. My mom calling me crying/screaming complaining about my dad.
    *I book trip for this weekend to visit my mom (have to take 2 days off work). I have to take time to book flight and I have to book airbnb, rental car bc my parents are so complicated (long story, don’t ask).
    * DD (11) got her braces on Monday , complains she can’t eat anything bc her teeth hurt, having to prepare soft foods
    * Ice storm here in Texas cancelled school yesterday and today
    *Cleaning lady (normally comes every other week) has not come to our house since early December, so more than 6 weeks, due to the holidays, various ice storms, my covid exposure, etc - so house is total mess
    *As I’ve been swamped my poor DH has been handling basically everything with the house (dinner prep, grocery shopping, kids appointment) - i feel bad he has been burdened so much.

I’m tired and overwhelmed. I know this is horrible to say, but I hate taking care of people. I’m not good at it and it’s exhausting and draining and gives me awful anxiety and depression. I had a very very hard time when my kids were little and I was a SAHM and my DH traveled a lot. Now they are old enough to be independent , my DH works from home and I have a new job I am excited to do well at. Yet my focus and energy are completely shot, and it kills me.
    I'm just here to say that I also hate taking care of people! I mean, of course I love my kids but the constant battle of trying to get them to do all the things that are **for their own good** (you know--eating healthy/enough, sleeping, showering, oral hygiene, peeing and pooping enough......it is utterly exhausting. Physically and mentally.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    I'm going stir crazy being stuck at home for two days and now school is cancelled again for tomorrow! I'm so sorry January was so hard. I think it's great you are admitting that you are not cut out for caretaking. I'm totally over it and desperately trying to get my DH and kids to do more for themselves. Hang in there! The thaw is coming soon.
    Oh yeah, i couldn’t believe it when school is cancelled for 3rd day in a row!! Going stir crazy I’m sure is a big part of my frustration!!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

SIMILAR january...but I'll just tell you...when the cleaners come back, it'll ALL be better. promise! I felt like I had a whole new life last Friday after mine came back after 6 weeks...also covid on return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    SIMILAR january...but I'll just tell you...when the cleaners come back, it'll ALL be better. promise! I felt like I had a whole new life last Friday after mine came back after 6 weeks...also covid on return trip.
    thanks, i'm hoping for this!! She should come the day after i get back from my trip and i cannot wait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast